1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Price For Half Life 2?

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by New Bloke, Nov 10, 2004.

1. New Bloke

New Bloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I've seen a few sites selling HL2 when it comes out @ £26.99, does anyone know where it can be bought cheaper? :thumbsup:

2. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,816
    Send it.com have it for £25.99 - They are coming up with some great prices these days (recently had a copy of FM05 for £17.99 off there, although other sites were also doing that price).

http://www.sendit.com/game/item/6000000000246

The delivery is also free although I must say whilst my FM05 was shipped on the 4th Nov it didn't actually arrive until 9th Nov with the free postage. The is an option to pay for next day though which (if they send the day before release as with FM05) in theory means that you can have it on release day.

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Why not get the silver package off steam? It costs around £40 and you get two extra games. Retail you get HL2 and CS source but with the silver package you also get the original half life using the source engine, day of defeat source and all of valves back catalogue. If you've not played the original Half life then it's a complete must and will look great with the new engine. You can also play counter strike source imediately after downloading:) Worth the extra £12 or so imo:thumbsup:

4. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,816
    Yeah I was tempted by that but a) i've barely got time to play HL2 never mind the other games and b) my folks are getting me it as a b'day pressie and just asking them to stick their bank account details in steam to buy the electronic version isn't quite the same. Surely CS & DOD source will be free downloads over steam anyway, I don't think i'll bother with them if you have to pay. I hope the free mod community will still flourish as it did with HL1. I also hope that steam doesn't interfere with this process.

I've also played HL1 and DOD to death and to shell out another £14-£15 to play them with nicer graphics isn't much of a draw really. I'd like to see some new inventive mods rather than just updated CS & DOD personally.

5. jamesvtidohc

jamesvtidohc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    whats steam? (referring to your post)

6. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,816
    Steam is valves online system which enables you to register & also download & buy games online. They are distributing half life 2 in 3 different online packages - Bronze (basically what you buy in the shops), Silver (with additional DOD Source & Half Life 1 Source & access to valves back catalogue) & Gold (everything in Silver & Bronze & a load of collectors stuff, posters, soundtrack, hat, strategy guides etc.).

You have to download the game and then you can unlock it all (CS Source is already available) on the 16th Nov by paying online so that you don't have to bother going to the shop.

7. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,174
    I was tempted by the Silver Package on Steam but I just couldnt bring myself to part with £40 for a download, I like the whole case/disc/instructions you get with a copy from the shops so decided to use my £15 amazon gift voucher I have had for a few months and pre-ordered it for £11.99 :thumbsup:

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I think £40 for a download is a complet **** take to be honest.

9. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,816
    The downloads should definately be around 1/3 cheaper than buying the shop version as I can't see any reason why someone would download it instead of buying it (unless they were lazy or couldn't get out for some reason). It's not really that you can play it much sooner anyway as you can buy it in the shops from midnight on the 16th or have it arrive in the post when you get up on the 16th if you buy from the right online retailers.

Sticking a free mod and a graphically updated version of the first game in for another £15 is also a bit steap - these should have been chucked in for free if you download via steam IMO.

10. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I'm more than happy with paying £40 for what is essentially 4 quality games. I have been playing Counter strike source the last three weeks and that alone is worth the price imo. I never played the original before so to me it's a whole new game as will be DOD. I have played HL 1 before a couple of times to completion but it's been many years since I last played it. I'll enjoy playing the source version (information for which has been very scarce) so I'm hoping for new content not just an engine overhall:) DOD and HL1 source are not included in the retail (which is £26 iirc) so you'll have to purchase these seperately if you wish to play them. I'm sure buying them seperately will probably cost more in the long run so £40 seems a bargain tbh.
    As to the downloading aspect I feel it's very conveinient and you no longer need to have a playable cd/dvd in your drive to have to play the games. It seems rather a waste manufacturing a cd/dvd only to be used once during installation and backups of the games can be genertated if required. Manuals can be found online these days and there is now no need to have to slaughter loads of trees just to have a hard copy in your hand and if you really do need a printed manual one can be bought seperately anyhow.
    Steam is the future of game purchasing imo so people should get used to it :D

11. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    What would happen if you accidently deleted the download from your hd?

Adrenochrome.

12. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    If you were sensible and kept a back up then you'd just have to replace the files otherwise you'd have to download the content you had deleted off steam again. Steam allows you to re-download as long as you have an active account and the relevent cd-keys etc.

13. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    SOrry I think its an insult. Remember they have to give at least 30% of the retail price to the retailer. So if they sold HL2 for £20 they would still be making more than they get from the majority of big retailers. They are just being greedy.

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,816
    I've got nothing against the steam system and personally would like to see a full pay per play system in place for video games to combat piracy. Downloadable content should be much cheaper though, roughly by about a 1/3rd as this takes into account manual distribution & the retailers cut. Also you can't really wrap up a download as a birthday/christmas present for someone and there are stacks of games sold as presents. Personally I think £40 for a downloaded game (which provides everything the previous Half Life did wrapped in a new graphics engine i.e. access to CS & DOD along with many other mods) is way too steep.

15. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The following is a list of the different retail and steam options to be made available. The £26.99 you quote is most probably for the standard edition. The silver package (which is £13 extra) gives you Half-Life 1: Source, Day of Defeat: Source and Valve's back catalogue in addition. So I guess it really depends what you want at the end of the day (besides HL2 and CS:S).

Retail Boxes

Standard Edition: - RRP = £39.99

Half-Life 2
    Counter-Strike: Source

Collector's Edition - RRP = £49.99

Half-Life 2
    Half-Life 1: Source
    Half-Life 2 T-shirt
    Prima book sampler

Steam Packages

Bronze - $49.95 = ~£33.35 incl VAT

Half-Life 2

Silver - $59.95 = ~£40.02 incl VAT

Half-Life 2
    Day of Defeat: Source
    Valve's back catalogue currently available on Steam

Gold - $89.95 = ~£60.05 incl VAT

Half-Life 2
    Day of Defeat: Source
    Valve's back catalogue currently available on Steam
    Complete Half-Life 2 Strategy Guide from Prima Games
    3 different Half-Life 2 posters
    Half-Life Collector's box
    Half-Life 2 hat
    Half-Life 2 postcard
    Half-Life 2 stickers
    Half-Life 2 Soundtrack CD

Note that not all of the content will be released on the same day as HL2.

16. danzig66

danzig66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone seen the Collectors Edition on the high street? Gamestracker lists Game as having the cheapest price of £50 - in fact, that's the only price listed. Couldn't see it in Game or on their web-site though. No sign in HMV or Virgin either

17. danzig66

danzig66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh well, I'll answer my own question: Game now has a link to the HL2 Collectors Edition: HL2 @ Game. Release date is 10th December, which is why it wasn't in the shops!