Best Price for 40gb

Status
Not open for further replies.

des_pd_ tdi

I can get a 40gb console for approx £280 but is it worth getting the 80gb version for £300?

Also can anyone better these prices? and does anyone know if there are furhter price drops come Christmas?

Cheers

Des

AnthonyG

Distinguished Member
Costco are selling the 40GB for £211. Or £235 with two ok games (Army of two, Fifa08). You need to be a member though.

I got my PS3 40GB for £205 from Buyithere which was a customer return (which turned out to be for me a faulty customer return, but Sony swapped it under warranty for the CECHJ so seriously scored there).

For £20 more I would say to definitely go for the 80GB. Two simple reasons for this ignoring the hard drive difference, you are assured to be getting 65nm RSX, and you also get the Dual Shock 3 controller free. With the 40GB all you get is the inferior Sixaxis controller.

If you still want to buy the 40GB make sure the model you buy has the serial number CECHJ, the J being the critical part. As these are the new model 40GB with 65nm RSX similar to the 80GB.

The CECHI and CECHH are 90nm RSX which runs quite hot and will thus cause the fans to ramp up often, and create more noise.

Finally Sony confirmed just at the end of last week there will be no more price drops before Christmas because if they did it would affect the blu-ray stand alone players sales (as how can they justify selling a standalone Blu-ray Player for £200-£250 if the PS3 was close to that pricepoint and completely outclassed the performance of most standalones).

The next price point drop will likely be Easter when they drop down to 45nm Cell.

cols

Novice Member
For the price of an 80gb you could buy a 40gb, a 320gb hdd to upgrade it, and have money left over for a few beers.

I say go for it! I have a 40gb, an older model one with 65/90 chips, and it doesn't run overly hot and the fans are not annoyingly loud.

As far as i understand it there are 3 versions so far of the ps3 regarding the chips:
90/90 (original 60gb's)
65/90 (some 40gb's)
65/65 (later 40gb's & 80gb's)

for each of these people have reported quiet ones, and reported loud ones.

The fan noise is all relative, it'll vary according to usage, how and where the ps3 is installed, ambient temperature, airflow around the ps3 etc.
Unless it's getting up to xbox 360 noise levels (in which case it's faulty as it's overheating) then it's just doing its job cooling the machine.

Don't avoid a bargain out of fear that the ps3 will be noisy. The 80gb model will make fan noise and is no more guaranteed to be free from faults than earlier models (and faulty models are a tiny minority)

just my humble opinion :)

AnthonyG

Distinguished Member
For the price of an 80gb you could buy a 40gb, a 320gb hdd to upgrade it, and have money left over for a few beers.

I say go for it!
How?, the original poster said the only difference he could find was £20. How can you buy this much for £20?.

I bought myself a customer returned PS3 for the same reason as you have stated, but I believe I am the minority of people prepared to do this.

Or do you know of somewhere selling new 40GB's for £240 other than costco which needs a membership of £30 per year, as you did not mention them in your post.

des_pd_ tdi

How?, the original poster said the only difference he could find was £20. How can you buy this much for £20?.

I bought myself a customer returned PS3 for the same reason as you have stated, but I believe I am the minority of people prepared to do this.

Or do you know of somewhere selling new 40GB's for £240 other than costco which needs a membership of £30 per year, as you did not mention them in your post.
Plus you have to add VAT, which comes in at £42, so the full price from Costco is still more expensive than the online Currys price including voucher.

£280 seems about the best online price.

Des

AnthonyG

Distinguished Member
Plus you have to add VAT, which comes in at £42, so the full price from Costco is still more expensive than the online Currys price including voucher.

£280 seems about the best online price.

Des
Yes you are right on this, but those prices I mentioned are after VAT.

cols

Novice Member
Well, google comes up with quite a few options. If you're prepared to shop around you'll find a good deal.

Play.com has used at £247 and collectable at £205... That was just from a 30 second search, so bargains are out there to be had. :smashin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom