1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best price for 1gb MicroDrive ??

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by TheSeer, Oct 3, 2003.

1. TheSeer

TheSeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Anyone know where I can get the best price for the IBM 1gb MicroDrive? I have a Canon G5 and want to expand the storage.

The best price I have seen so far is DABS.COM who are offering it for abotu £142 inc VAT.

Also, is it really sensible to use the MicroDrive for a camera? Is it up to taking the knocks??

Thanks

SA

2. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I'd suggest getting a 1gb flash card over a microdrive for 2 reasons - the first being durability, the second, battery life of the camera.

3. julie sinar

julie sinar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    julie, thats a cracking price. i would suggest that flash cards are no guarantee of reliability, plus the cost per meg is much higher than microdrives. in any case, if you are worried about whether a microdrive can take 'the knocks', then surely you are equally worried about the rest of the camera! i have two microdrives and both have survived a trip to thailand and back - my camera is always kept in a padded bag of some description. battery life isnt really an issue either. i use a Fuji S2 Pro with those drives and had to recharge a set of batteries no more than once a day, depending how many shots i took.

5. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Compact flash cards generally write faster than microdrive, a 3rd good reason...
    I think Microdrives are on the way out because of larger capacity flash cards, however at a reasonable price like that I would take the risk on a microdrive.