• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Best Practices for Conversion

mbovaird

Standard Member
I have a Sony HDR-HC1 Camcorder and have now over 50 miniDV tapes full of "family video".

I have tried editing some of the tapes with Final Cut Express and iMovie on my Mac and a variety of different products on my PC. All have had mixed results - but in most cases - the project either ends in a crash or the time it takes to "render" and compress for burning on a DVD takes hours.

I am not looking at adding fancy menus and editing the video - I simply want to find a way to get the tapes on to DVD or Blu-Ray.

It would be great if some electronic manufacturer had a machine that you could pop the HD miniDV tape in one side and press "dub" and it burns to a Blu-Ray on the other - but that's probably wishful thinking at this point in time!

Can someone please tell me the "best practices" for doing this?

Thanks!

Michael

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
If you just want a straight DVD copy of your Mini DV tapes, you could use a DVD recorder that has a mini DV input like my Sony HXD870 for example. Then you could press 'record' on the DVD recorder and 'play' on your camcorder and with the right settings create a one hour high quality DVD copy. This would of course be unedited, but then it is straight forward. Naturally it is a 'real time' process so each tape will take an hour to do.....

Edit: Just noticed you mention that the tapes are HD, so my suggestion above would reduce the quality to SD....unless you want to buy a BluRay recorder from abroad and use expesive blank discs?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom