• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Best possible way to connect "ADVENT 7111" Laptop to "LG50PS3000" TV

oliphillips

Laptop:

ADVENT 7111

CPUIntel Core Duo T2050 (1.60 GHz) ChipsetMobile Intel 945PM Express Memory1GB DDR2-533 PC2-3200/4200/5300 SODIMM (2 Memory Slots. Max 2GB) Hard Drive80 GB CD DrivePhilips DVD±RW SDVD8820 Screen15.4" widescreen TFT (native resolution 1280x800) Video CardIntegrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 (up to 128MB shared) Sound CardConexant audio ModemConexant Soft Data Fax Modem Network CardMarvell Yukon Ethernet Controller
Intel Pro 3945ABG wireless LAN *
PC Card1x ExpressCard/54 slot Ports1x Headphone
1x Line-in
1x Microphone
1x 4-pin FireWire (IEEE 1394) **
1x Port Replicator Interface
1x LAN
1x DVI
1x S-Video
4x USB 2.0
1x 4-in-1 card reader (supports SD, MS, MS Pro and MMC cards)
1x ExpressCard
1x Modem
1x Kensington Lock
TouchpadSynaptics Touchpad Batteryeither a Simplo SQU-524 (10.8v 4400mAh) or a Simplo SQU-528 (11.1v 4800mAh) Dimensions35.2 x 355 x 254 (HxWxD in mm) ColourSilver/Black Weight2.7kg Made ByQuanta EAA-89 TW3

I would like to connect this in the best possible way to a LG 50" Plasma 50PS3000

I can't properly work out what outputs the TV has, maybe some of you are better at reading spec lists. Also I can't work out what the DVI output on the laptop is. Whats the difference between DVI-I and normal DVI. I cant tell if it means it has this:

03dvi_d-box-l.jpg

OR

VGA_CONN.jpg

So if I want the best connection between the two, how should I do it? And what cables should I buy.

Cheers, Oli

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The bottom, blue port is VGA. That's got nothing to do with DVI.

For 'normal' DVI you generally find the source (i.e. computer) has a DVI-I output and the screen has a DVI-D input. The top one you've posted there is a DVI-D port as it doesn't have the four pins around the slot.

DVI has two different signals, DVI-A analogue (the same as VGA but with a different connector) and DVI-D digital. DVI-I is just a socket that allows both sorts of cables to plug in. DVI-A is hardly ever used as a cable, most of the time people use an adapter and a VGA cable .

As for your TV, it has HDMI ports so the best way to connect it would be a DVI to HDMI cable.

That's for video anyway, do you want to get sound to the TV as well as if so do you need surround sound or will 2.1 be good enough?

oliphillips

Ok cheers, I'll get a DVI to HDMI cable then. I would be inputting the sound into my Yamaha V-363 AV reciever and would like to be able to have either 2.1 or 5.1 really, as I will use the laptop for music and films. Whats the best connection from laptop to amp then do ya reckon?

cheers, oli

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Ok cheers, I'll get a DVI to HDMI cable then. I would be inputting the sound into my Yamaha V-363 AV reciever and would like to be able to have either 2.1 or 5.1 really, as I will use the laptop for music and films. Whats the best connection from laptop to amp then do ya reckon?

cheers, oli

I'm not an expert on the sound side but the only sound output I can see in the list above is the headphone output, which I'm fairly sure will only provide 2.1. If you want 5.1 you'll probably need a ExpressCard or External (USB/Firewire) sound card. Wait for somebody more knowledgable to confirm that and advise you on what connection would be best for your amp though. (Is it the RX-V363, as that's what came up when I searched?)

oliphillips

rx-v363 yep. Ok so external soundcard probably seems the best option. I'm getting this laptop for £80 from Kingstons version of Del and Rodney! Turns out it comes pre installed with XP Media Centre which is perfect as I'm getting it for a permanent install to my new home cinema setup.

cheers for your help mate

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom