1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Possible Picture quality

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DEO, May 7, 2003.

1. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like the best possible PQ so excuse me if I am missing something obvious:

If one decides to use a good quality scalar (ie Lumagen) in conjunction with a Plasma why is there a need to spend £1K or £2K + on a pal/ntsc progressive DVD player?

After all the scalar will improve the sky/freeview PQ as well.

Furthermore a DVD player can only de-interlace and cannot scale therefore cannot generate a PQ that is comparable to the scalar.

Dave

2. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess the difference is the sound quality and sound quality alone?

3. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    You are correct that there is little point paying for the Progressive Scan facility in a DVD player when your scaler will do that for you. However, de-interlacing isn't the only thing that makes up a good quality DVD output.

Cheers,
    Liam

4. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Liam, what ar the other things then, is it the sound?

5. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quality of the MPEG decoder and it's ability to do block noise reduction, motion interpolation and a whole host of other things that scalers/deinterlacers can't do is important. Have a look at the interlaced output from a TAG DVD for example with a low bitrate disc, compared to say the interlaced output from a high end Toshiba - given a good enough display there are visible differences.