Best Position for Dipole Surrounds (Illustration)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Toolbox, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Toolbox

Toolbox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Good morning, everyone! :)

I would like to get your opinions on the following positions for surround speakers. Some years ago, I built a home cinema in a small room and have always had the Polk Audio TSi100's for surrounds but I have this chance to upgrade my system with Paradigms. I've never used dipole speakers before and could use some advice on what position would be best for "immersion" of sound or just simply "by the book" best place to put these speakers.

Here is an image of the room:

[​IMG]

And here is a mock-up of where I can put the new surrounds. What would be better, Position X or Y?

[​IMG]

Please note that I will be hanging the Paradigms from the ceiling if I use Position X, I can angle the speakers approximately 30º - 45º downwards so the sonic sound of the surround woofers both meet in the middle of the room. I can also angle Position Y or can just hang them perfectly flat against the rear wall at any height.

The reason I ask is because I will do a bit of construction to achieve this and cannot second guess.

Based on the article above, what would you guys do as I am in no way a sound engineer and am simply a newbie at all this. If X and Y aren't any good, where should they go? I am also open to any height and angle as I have not even begun this little project.

Thank you for reading and I welcome any and all comments. :)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  2. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    Thread moved

Curly