Best position and type for surround speaker

Temesta

Hi,

I'm planning to build a 5.1 (or 7.1) surround system in my living room. Since I have a very high
ceiling, I will first have to fix issues with room acoustics. However I'm in serious doubt about
where to position the left and right surround speakers.

The blue squares on the photo is how I'm planning to place my speakers.
For the surround speakers, my idea would be :

- 90 degrees relative to sitting position. (I don't have much other options. If I want them at 110 degrees,
more behind me, I will have to mount them very high. The bottom side of the speakers would be at 2.6 meter high,
just above the wooden door)

- I will use an omnimount at both sides. The top side of the speakers will be at +- 2.6 meter. Just below ceiling
height. The bottom side of the speaker will be at about 2.3 meter high.

- I will angle those speakers slightly down to listener position

- I was thinking about a pair of bipole klipsch rp-402S

An alternative would be the green squares on the photo :

- 90 degrees relative to sitting position, mounted one wall, no tilt.

- 2 wall mounted speakers : the monopole Dali Oberon On‑Wall OR also the bipole klipsch rp-402S

- The speakers will be at ear level. Higher is not possible at the side of the woorden door.

- My biggest concern is that they will be too close to my ears when sitting on the far left or far right side of the sofa. The distance between speaker and ear will only be 50cm or less. And those are places where like to sit often.

Can somebody give me some good advice on this ?
And is this a good position for my front speakers lef and right? Or should I move the right speaker just next to the screen instead of room corner?

Thanks

Attachments

• speakers.jpg
    speakers.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 109

inzaman

In my room they are close at the rear, you have to remember that a lot of the info re placement is guidance and for sure we would all like the perfect room and positioning but we also have to compromise. For me this looks okay and once you run a calibration with timing on your amp, say audyssey then it will hopefully help a lot,

Temesta

In my room they are close at the rear, you have to remember that a lot of the info re placement is guidance and for sure we would all like the perfect room and positioning but we also have to compromise. For me this looks okay and once you run a calibration with timing on your amp, say audyssey then it will hopefully help a lot,

Thank you for the input ... But would you put the surround speakers near ceiling and point them down.
Or would you rather place them at ear level, very close to your ears. I tend to go with the first option.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Thank you for the input ... But would you put the surround speakers near ceiling and point them down.
Or would you rather place them at ear level, very close to your ears. I tend to go with the first option.
If those are your only options, I'd get di/bipoles and put them at 90 degrees.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Yes, I was thinking about this too. But would it it be OK if I mount them 90 degrees at 2.6 meter high (blue squares) ?
Sorry - yes, if you're having 5.1 that would be fine. It wouldn't be good if you had an Atmos setup, but since you're going 5.1 or 7.1 (5.1 may be best in your room) then having the rear speakers up high is good. And I wouldn't bother with dipoles if they're up there.

And point them at the listening position.

How many people do you want to have in the sweetspot?

Temesta

Sorry - yes, if you're having 5.1 that would be fine. It wouldn't be good if you had an Atmos setup, but since you're going 5.1 or 7.1 (5.1 may be best in your room) then having the rear speakers up high is good. And I wouldn't bother with dipoles if they're up there.

And point them at the listening position.

How many people do you want to have in the sweetspot?

Most of the time just me and my wife will be sitting in the sofa. So pointing them is not an issue. And if I mount them just above the wooden door (on the right of the picture), I can move them a little bit backwards at 100-110 degrees for better 5.1. But there still is a ton of space and a big wall behind the sofa. So I can place those 7.2 rear surround speakers on a perfect position, and the 5.1 surrround speakers closer to 90 degrees, but more angled down (like in the picture).

Harkon321

I'd go high if your worried about localisatoin but the best thing is to just try it. Buy some cheap cable and mock it up. Get someone to hold them or place them on ladders or something and see what you think in both positions.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Most of the time just me and my wife will be sitting in the sofa. So pointing them is not an issue. And if I mount them just above the wooden door (on the right of the picture), I can move them a little bit backwards at 100-110 degrees for better 5.1. But there still is a ton of space and a big wall behind the sofa. So I can place those 7.2 rear surround speakers on a perfect position, and the 5.1 surrround speakers closer to 90 degrees, but more angled down (like in the picture).
If you were going for 7.1, I think you might be best with dipoles as your side surrounds, where your green patches are (and then obviously rears further back). If you're going for 5.1, then monopoles up near the blue patches, at something like 110 degrees like you said.
I don't know which would be better. Like Harkon says, you could experiment, although I think I'd temporarily fit them rather than ask someone to hold them, so you have longer to test.

Temesta

If you were going for 7.1, I think you might be best with dipoles as your side surrounds, where your green patches are (and then obviously rears further back). If you're going for 5.1, then monopoles up near the blue patches, at something like 110 degrees like you said.
I don't know which would be better. Like Harkon says, you could experiment, although I think I'd temporarily fit them rather than ask someone to hold them, so you have longer to test.

I was now even thinking to buy a pair or monopoles and a pair dipoles online. Test them both on multiple places and send one pair back to the shop :).

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
I was now even thinking to buy a pair or monopoles and a pair dipoles online. Test them both on multiple places and send one pair back to the shop :).
Yeah you could do that. You could have the diploes in the green position, and the monopoles at the rear of a 7.1. And then you could test against no dipoles, with the monopoles in the blue position, as part of a 5.1.

Watch a couple of good movies with each and see if you notice much difference.

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom