1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best portable MP3 encoding techniques

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by graham.myers, Jan 14, 2003.

1. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got an MP-3 Jukebox for the car. It's basically a 10gb hard disk and slides into a cradle either in the car or a PC so I can encode tracks onto it.

I use Real Player 5 at the moment (cos thats what came with it).

Some of the tracks sound fine (it is only for car use) but some sounds atrociuos using the same CD source drive/PC encoding options.

before I start to redo some of the tracks I thought 'd ask about the best way of going about it and which software to use if Real Player is pants.

I've got RealOne on my desktop at work and its useless - I much prefer the old version.

Anyway, I've done a search and found a couple of things discussing Vorbis and LAME. I download a version of lame and it was cr@p with lots of hidden popups which now wont go away :mad: even after uninstalling the software (although I haven't rebooted yet). I've also seen menction ECA (I think). Whats that?

I'm encoding at 128k at the moment, and like I say most tracks sound OK.

thanks in advance

2. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Graham

Can I just clarify, are you wanting to rip from CD first or just to encode MP3's?

Sorry for my stupidity :eek:

3. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've already copied all my CDs onto a hard disk in MP3 format. Said hard disk then goes into a cradle in the car.

2500 tracks to listen to :)

I want to redo the CD to MP3 to get rid of some of the cr@p copies that I've done.

I just wanted to know what else there was other than Real to MP3 the CDs and what were the best settings.

for now I'd like to stick to 128k recordings but if its recommended to move up (or down:eek: ) then I'll follow the recommendation

4. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Advanced MP3 Home studio is the one I use and find quite good and just in case you ever do want to re-encode MP3's I use a program called DBPowerAmp which is also quite good. :)

5. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are they retail products or shareware - do you have a link?

6. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Go to 160 or 192, 128 is usually OK but a proportion of tracks do not compress very well.

Clint Eastwood by Gorillaz or My Fathers Eyes by Eric Clapton are good examples.

7. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Retail.

http://www.mp3homestudio.com/

:)

8. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to reiterate what Alex said, try and encode at, at least 192Khz for decent quality. 256Khz if you can afford the room :)

9. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the problems I have is the head unit doesn't have an available slot for the stereo phono cables to plug into.

I'm therefore using an FM modulator and the radio is tuned into the mStation.

If I'm only using FM will I notice the difference going from 128 to 192?

10. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No I don't think you will 128Khz should be fine with how you are doing it.

11. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. timothyw

timothyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    If anyone is interested in finding out more about audio compression in general, check out the hydrogen audio forums:
    http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/
    I warn you though, these people are pretty hardcore. Start talking about 128kbit and they'll look at you like a bose user ;)