Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Best player up to £600? :)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pixelated, Aug 6, 2005.

1. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Hiya!

I've been looking through the forum for a little while and I've been gathering opinions on certain players. I've just bought a TH42PV500 Plasma and looking for a DVD player to go with it!

Can anyone recommend what they feel is best up to the value of £600? I've been looking at the Denon 2910 and Marantz 7600... and I think I had a little flutter with the Denon 3910 (I can stretch the budget if you think it's worth doing...) And do Panasonic themselves do any that you'd recommend maybe?

Stu :hiya:

2. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Stu...I have the same tv as yours and I bought the Panasonic DVD S97 dvd player from Richer sounds....it cost £169 for a multi region player and the playback is simply gorgeous through HDMI at the higher resolutions....I would certainly recommend this player especially as Panasonic reduced its price by half.....as a bonus it plays music beautifully to.....there is a thread all about this player in this forum which is well worth a look as there is a firmware update for the player which ive just installed and it works a treat....the only downside is that i believe this player is being replaced and might now be hard to get hold of...anyway it certainly is worth an audition...good luck

3. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Richer still have players in store, even if only display models. Ring their HQ for stock availability + check with store.
    Are all Richer Stock Multi-Region on S97?

4. morph42

morph42
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I picked up a new S97 from RS in Southampton on Saturday - using HDMI - the difference its made over my last player on my projector is outstanding.

The player is very hard to find. There was one other place (in bradford I think - can't remember the name) that may have some as of Wednesday this week

the player was multiregion

5. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +882
    Given that the new DVD formats will be with us shortly personally I would "make do" with the likes of the forementioned S97 for a 12-18 months rather than spend £600 today and £1000 in a years time for a HD player.

If you are happy spending £600+ now knowing there will shortly be totally new formats then Denon (IMO) do make exceptional DVD players - the 3910 feels better built and will give marginal picture/sound improvements as with all these things it depends on how much you are happy to spend to get what will be smaller and smaller improvements.

6. expat

expat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Hi Lionheart, I've got the 42PV500 and S97 on order. Did you ever try connecting these two via component? I've love to do this to compare the picture via HDMI & component, but I don't own component cables, and wouldn't want to buy decent cables just for this one test. (Maybe I could borrow or rent cables for a few days...)
    Has anyone out there done the comparison with this player and display?

7. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Trust me, you will notice a BIG difference between the s97 hdmi and component out on a high end player and even more so on hdmi out on a high end player i.e. the high end player will offer a vast improvement

8. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    I'm sure the S97 is a very good player. But you can't dismiss a top end player and once you've seen a top flight one performing you realise where the money goes.

I recently bought an 868AVi followed by a Tosh 350, thinking the Tosh would be almost as good via HDMI. The difference in performance was justified by the difference in price.

The S97 gets good right ups and seems to be benefiting from regular firmware updates. This may be both an economical and good route for you to follow.

9. expat

expat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    You mean on a high end display, right?

10. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    I'm working on the assumption that hdmi and component connections are only usually found on high end displays?

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    best for piccy or sound?

Piccy Panasonic with it great MPEG decoders are difficult to beat but sound has never been it best asset but depends on how you set these players up.

Sound, Philips and Arcam have always been strong

As an alrounder the big Pioneer isn't too bad (868) but I don't think the 2/3910 would be a good purchase.

If component analogue and HDMI are properly engineered you should not be seeing big differences.

12. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi expat....no Ive never tried a component feed...I would be interested in a direct comparison between the HDMI and component if u get the chance...like u though i wouldnt want to buy an expensive set of leads just out of curiosity,unless I can convince myself they could be a handy backup lol

13. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point Astaroth...the s97 or equivalent players make a good stop gap whilst waiting for true HD players and software to appear

14. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Barry Fox of What Video has speculated that current DVD discs could well perform worse on HD players than current upscaled SD players. So it would be worth hanging on to current high end players so that your collection isn't trashed by "trading up?" to HD or blu-ray players! :thumbsdow
    One can see the logic here, these new format players will have video hardware optimised for HD/blu-ray, not DVD. :lesson:
    Same thing is true of CD playback on DVD or universal players - optimised hardware always does the job better. :thumbsup:

15. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    recent test over at AVS perfered 480i component to Lumagen to the various HDMI solutions on the 97, will try and find link asit seemed to be interesting.

16. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Is it a general thing within the forum now then that it isn't worth buying a high end player at the moment? :confused: Well, high end I mean 2/3910 and the Marantz DVD7600 :)

Stu

17. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Stu,

What you have you got now?

18. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    I just avoid Denons ;) High end is good, just don't consider that latest Denon to be 'performers', some other kit however is really very pleasant and you don't have to pay Tag prices anymore.

19. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Sod all mate ;) lol This is a brand new Plasma, still in the box while the room is finished lol See where I'm coming from? Because I haven't got one already (for this Plasma) should I go all out? Plasma is a 42PV500 in case you missed it :)

Stu

20. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Interesting! I assumed Denon were amongst the best due to the reviews they generally get (from Magazines anyway, not seen many user reviews)

Cheers for your advice. What d'you reckon of the Marantz DV7600? :)

Stu

21. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Haven't seen the Marantz I am afraid so can't comment.

22. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    I have a denon 2800mk2, which is a fairly old player picked up on these forums quite cheaply (£200 - £250ish) and certainly out performs the Harmon Kardon DVD25 and the Panasonic S97 (via hdmi and component).

So my advice would be to pickup a 2800mk2 / 2900 denon player for between 200 - 300 and use that until hidef comes out.

However from a personal point of view I am selling my denon and looking to upgrade to a pio 868 (fits well with my panel) or possibly (depending on a demo) a denon 2910 / 3910 - I don't think we will see affordable hidef players for 18 - 24 months.

23. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    The old denons are good in my book, I also quite like the 1910, it is the more expensive ones I have problems with, and so do many reviews if you read them correctly.

24. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    With the denon 2900 going for so little now days, how can anyone possible go for any thing else.
    I've had a few players over the years and have also seen quite a few on demo.At the moment i own a pioneer 565, arcam 89, denon 2900.
    The 2900 has got to be the best player i have ever had, in both SQ and PQ.
    Dont waste your money on anything else, get a 2900 and then wait for the HD players to take off.
    How can anyone not like the fact that the 2900 has a very good picture, good sound and of course........as i have said time and time again.....seemless movies......no layer change.
    I'm amazzed at the amount of people that keep buying the other players, knowing full well that half way through a film there will be a ******* pause.
    Very Very Very annoying, but people still put up with it. :suicide:

25. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Many people compare the PQ of the S97 (with the newer firmwares) to that of 3910. I don't know, I never had a 3910. With my display (Hitachi 32LD7200) and a HDMI connection, S97 gives a superb PQ. I've connected S97 to my AV receiver with a optical link so SQ is only limited by the quality of my amp. About layer change delay, well, with this firmware version 541 it's been a while that I had forgotten such a thing even exists. Certainly not noticable in normal usage patterns.

26. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    I've got to admit the SQ of the 2800mk2 and presumably the 2900 is out of this world to say the least.

27. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    The fact remains a quality player is a quality player. I doubt you can go wrong bearing that in mind. The HD argument is not an immediate one as you would have to wait for a library of titles to become available as well. If you want a good player, now is as good time as any to buy. :)

28. crank

crank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: Right mate you gonna have that many veiws in your head by the time this thread dies a long slow death ya gonna be no better off decision wise than when you first kicked it off!!!!!. I know cos i was in the same position about 2 month ago,just bought a panny 42pv500 and could'nt decide which dvd player to buy. I wittled it down to just 2 the denon 2910 and the marantz 7600 in the end i went for the denon and received it last week. To say im happy with this pairing is an understatement connected via the HDMI this gives an amazing picture and ive had a few dvd players in the past but this was my first high endish player.I can honestly say that since i received the player i have'nt stopped watching movies(sad b***ard)and not once have i thought about the £500.00 it cost me so thats got to have been a good buy and choice!.I hear many people saying dont go high end now wait for high def and blue ray but a cheap player is no substitute for a high end player when it comes to picture quality especialy if youve just spent 2k+ on a plasma,you want to see the justification immediatly.Just think how much hd- dvd and blu-ray players are going to cost when they first come out in around 6mths,rather more than the money spent on your high end player i bet!!.Also this is going to be some war between the two formats when it kicks off rather like the vhs/betamax war of the early 80's and who's to say you would'nt end up with the betamax.I know i would as ive done it in the past,jumped in there straight away and ended up with egg on my face :eek: not this time im gonna sit back and wait to see what happens and in the mean time enjoy what ive got.Give it 18mth after their release the prices will have dropped to a more affordable price we'll be able to see which format is kicking ass and there will probably be a multi format player out there to play them both so everyone will be on a winner!! :clap:

29. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I think I'm with you on this :) HD DVD player(££££) + all new DVDs... after £2000 on the Plasma? Bah ;) lol Which one d'you reckon out of 2910, 3910 and the DV7600? And of course, your Pio 868? :) (I bet I know which one you'll choose d'oh lol)

Stu

30. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I am with you on this I think mate! And you're exactly right... after buying this Plasma I really don't want to wait ages to see the results lol I can't :p What made you pick the Denon over the Marantz matey?

Stu