Best player that is under £250.....

S

speedking

Hello,

I am after a DVD player to connect to my HD ready LCD television. I found a few models that I liked and chose them because they were 'brand' names. I then started going through the dvd players thread to find out some more information but am now stuck on what model to buy.

I have a Xbox 360 thats uses the television's component input and therefore would have to connect the dvd player via the hdmi input or I could swap.

I mainly want to use the player to watch R2 (UK PAL) DVDs and listen to some music. I also want to watch some NTSC films I have created using a camcorder.

By reading through the threads the 'Faroudja' issues have left me confused. I don't want my viewing experience to be awful and have 'jaggly' issues and other mentioned problems. I just want a player to make the best use of my television and films.

Choices:

Pioneer DV-696AV
NAD T524
Sony DVP-NS92
Onkyo DV-SP503E
Oppo OPDV971H
Denon 1920

I also like the Jamo i300 2.1 speaker system. How would I connect this to my tv and/or dvd player? I think it only has an auxiliary input.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

speedking said:
Hello,

I am after a DVD player to connect to my HD ready LCD television. I found a few models that I liked and chose them because they were 'brand' names. I then started going through the dvd players thread to find out some more information but am now stuck on what model to buy.

I have a Xbox 360 thats uses the television's component input and therefore would have to connect the dvd player via the hdmi input or I could swap.

I mainly want to use the player to watch R2 (UK PAL) DVDs and listen to some music. I also want to watch some NTSC films I have created using a camcorder.

By reading through the threads the 'Faroudja' issues have left me confused. I don't want my viewing experience to be awful and have 'jaggly' issues and other mentioned problems. I just want a player to make the best use of my television and films.

Choices:

Pioneer DV-696AV
NAD T524
Sony DVP-NS92
Onkyo DV-SP503E
Oppo OPDV971H
Denon 1920

I also like the Jamo i300 2.1 speaker system. How would I connect this to my tv and/or dvd player? I think it only has an auxiliary input.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

All those you list will probably not disappoint.

Don't forget the Sony DVP -NS76H.

Hello WGLOVER,

I am aware that the listed players won't probably disappoint.

I just wanted to pick an overall good one from the bunch listed that has the least problems. I just want the player to offer the best picture for my needs.

Help on the Jamo issue would also be great.

Thanks,

speedking said:
Hello WGLOVER,

I am aware that the listed players won't probably disappoint.

I just wanted to pick an overall good one from the bunch listed that has the least problems. I just want the player to offer the best picture for my needs.

Help on the Jamo issue would also be great.

Thanks,

The thing is, who would have tried them all?

Even if someone had, their own personal taste would affect their choice.

Look at the TV mags.
Even the 'experts' (ha ha) can't agree.:cool:

Delete the Sony DVP-NS92 from your list. According to me experience does it have a poor loading mechism and it sometimes ejects disc sometimes it won't. That leaves you with one player less. :thumbsdow

My personel favorite would be the Denon 1920.:smashin:

Cheers

Thanks jensK and WGLOVER for your comments

I am aware they all have some problems but I want one that plays UK PAL R2 DVDs well and also NTSC camcorder produced DVDs. Other things like good mp3, DivX and VCD playback would be a bonus.

Thanks,

thumbs up for the Cambridge Audio DVD89 its the dogs, sounds great and the picture is fantastic plus it will play any disc I chuck at it...it even played Gladiator from a very old computer punch card*

*this statement may be false :)

thanks strontiumbob for adding another player to the mix!

I read somewhere that the Cambridge Audio DVD89 is meant to be similar to the Oppo. I read some excellent reviews for the DVD89 so it will be considered. Only downside is that it will not play all discs.

I am still concerned about the PAL issues and don't want a player that isn't capable of handling the majority of my collection well.

Are the issues only when it upscales them to 720p/1080i? Anyway to overcome issues?

What hdmi cable are people using? A cheap £10 or something a little more pricey like the QED Qunex HDMI-P?

How can I connect the Jamo speakers?

Thanks,

speedking said:
thanks strontiumbob for adding another player to the mix!

I read somewhere that the Cambridge Audio DVD89 is meant to be similar to the Oppo. I read some excellent reviews for the DVD89 so it will be considered. Only downside is that it will not play all discs.

I am still concerned about the PAL issues and don't want a player that isn't capable of handling the majority of my collection well.

Are the issues only when it upscales them to 720p/1080i? Anyway to overcome issues?

What hdmi cable are people using? A cheap £10 or something a little more pricey like the QED Qunex HDMI-P?

How can I connect the Jamo speakers?

Thanks,
Get a decent cable. I am converted (always was on analogue)

My QED & Clearer Audio are clearly better than the Telewest cable, and that looks better quality than the cheapies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom