Question Best player for Youtube 4K

Simon Belmont

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I know the Nvidia Shield TV is the best overall, but wanted something just like it but under £100 I hear the Mi box 3 is great, but only has wifi. Also for using plex. Don't think there is anything better?

Any suggestions?

Cheers

I also have Nvidia Shield, but it wont play YouTube 4K in HDR.
Roku Ultra does play 4K HDR and it's really good but I think YouTube 4K HDR on Chromecast Ultra is a tad sharper and also motion is more fluid.
Wish Nvidia Shield would offer 4K HDR, that would be the best option.

Not impressed with CC Ultra tbh.

Really wanted something like the Nvidia Shield TV and the closest thing is the Mi Box 3, but what ruins it is no ethernet connection :(

It's possible to use a USB to ethernet adapter with the Mi Box though keep in mind it is limited by the USB bandwidth.

Youtube 4K HDR is a rare combo of VP9 Profile 2 codec and Hybrid Log Gamma HDR, very few big name platforms support one the other or both.

You can rule out AppleTV 4K, Xbox and Playstation as well.

I think Chromecast & maybe Roku can output the HDR in more widespread HDR10 format but not entirely sure on that.

It's possible to use a USB to ethernet adapter with the Mi Box though keep in mind it is limited by the USB bandwidth.

Youtube 4K HDR is a rare combo of VP9 Profile 2 codec and Hybrid Log Gamma HDR, very few big name platforms support one the other or both.

You can rule out AppleTV 4K, Xbox and Playstation as well.

I think Chromecast & maybe Roku can output the HDR in more widespread HDR10 format but not entirely sure on that.

It doesn't have to use HDR. As long as it's 4K60 and the interface has the speed like Nvidia Shield tv I'd be happy.

I wonder if Amazon Fire TV 4K would play youtube 4k60?

Last edited:
Some of the Amlogic chips can do 4K60 VP9 and FireTV boxes use the S905Z chip which appears to be very similar to the S905X model which sports VP9 4K60 support.

Are Amazon and Google still fighting over Youtube, has the app been restored ?

Some of the Amlogic chips can do 4K60 VP9 and FireTV boxes use the S905Z chip which appears to be very similar to the S905X model which sports VP9 4K60 support.

Are Amazon and Google still fighting over Youtube, has the app been restored ?

AppleTV 4k is limited to 1080p60 streams in Youtube.

Xbox One X can play 4K60 in Youtube and in myTube a third party app that offers an alternate UI. The Xbox One S I'm unsure on Google said 4K support for the S would come later and that was several months ago.

I have a Xbox One S, but yes it only does 1080p. Also, the controls are horrid for xbox. I have there remote, but if that isn't the best. I guess I'm looking for a Nvidia Shield TV clone for half the price that plays youtube 4k60 with ethernet?

I'm not sure on amazon fire tv. From what I read it's only 1080p as well:(

Not looking good finding anything :(

Cheers for your input mate :)

I have a Xbox One S, but yes it only does 1080p. Also, the controls are horrid for xbox. I have there remote, but if that isn't the best. I guess I'm looking for a Nvidia Shield TV clone for half the price that plays youtube 4k60 with ethernet?

CC Ultra and Roku Ultra are the two best streaming devices for YouTube 4K hdr

Roku Premiere?

Wow this is more difficult than I thought

As @Eddy555 said Roku streaming stick + does the job brilliantly. I've got a Nvidia Shield but since getting the Roku stick I watch You Tube, Netflix and Amazon Prime on it in preference to the Shield. I used to get terrible judder watching some Amazon Prime content on the Shield but the Roku auto frame rate switching ensures smooth playback. It's wifi only but never had a problem with it.

As @Eddy555 said Roku streaming stick + does the job brilliantly. I've got a Nvidia Shield but since getting the Roku stick I watch You Tube, Netflix and Amazon Prime on it in preference to the Shield. I used to get terrible judder watching some Amazon Prime content on the Shield but the Roku auto frame rate switching ensures smooth playback. It's wifi only but never had a problem with it.
Not sure why you would get judder on Nvidia Shield when it allows you to change refresh rate when needed

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom