Best Player for PQ?

Zebadee69

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at upgrading my Denon 2910 and was wanting recommendations on a player that will give me the best PQ via HDMI. CD/DVD-A etc isn't so important, just want the best picture I can.

Has anyone any advice/opinions on what one of these will produce the best picture:

Pioneer 989
Pioneer 868
Denon 3910
Arcam DV78/79
Marantz DV7600/9500

Any others worth considering?

Cheers

i think the dv79, although i havent seen the new pioneer or the marantz models. i have tried the 3910 and 868 though

Check out the Oppo OPDV971H. About £170. Excellent pq through DVI to HMDI. Upscales. Plays most anything. Regular user updatable firmware. The best customer /service support service anywhere. (www.oppodigital.com). Can be bought in UK from ITSupplies.

I went from a 2910 to a 3910 for improvements in audio and was surprised at how much better the picture was also. Definately worth shortlisting.

I've a new Pioneer 989avi, and after a couple of days running it in the picture is miles better than the 2910 that I had! The picture via the HDMI into a 37" LCD is amazing, black is really an improvement. I also only wanted good picture quality and I'm sure I've found it with this, only thing is I think that it could be even better with an IXOS hdmi cable, their 1080 design is an improvement over the Chord I have, next on the shopping list. If you want any further details let me know.

Peterm69,

If you are any where near Worcester at any time let me know and you can have a real world demo of my 989. The Arcam is a good, good player but I think that Pioneer has really nailed it this time.

I read sometime ago that the Panasonic S97 gave a better picture than the 2910, not sure if this is true however...

As far as picture is concerrned via HDMI the Pioneer's have got to be top of the tree. Wickedly sharp and detailed.

But you've already said CD/DVD-A isn't really a consideration so why are you prepared to pay £600 more for the Pioneer when the Oppo PQ is probably just as good? It might be cheap but it really doesn't mean it's not as good. The Oppo will be a noticeable improvement over your 2910 and leave you with £600 to spend on something that will make more of a difference to your system. Honestly, the PQ from the Oppo is top notch, there's no way any difference would be worth a £600 premium put it that way!

Check this out if you want proof the Oppo performs way beyond it's price tag...

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=122

Oh and by the way 2:2 cadence was added in the latest firmware..

Cheers
Andy

I've not seen the Oppo in the flesh myself so it might be a good performer.

But judging on looks and quality of build it appears very budget looking. I doubt it is in the Pioneer's league in the overall stakes but you never know.

Personally I have the 868, best £500 I've spent on AV Kit for a long time and partnered with an AX5Ai via iLink, simply an awesome AV combination.

The OP said it was PQ that mattered and I'd be very surprised if the PQ was better on the Pioneer, well £600 better anyway! Outputting 720p to the Pioneer 436 i'm certain the results would be fantastic.

Well the shortlist he's put up there it looks like he's shopping in premier AV league.

I seriously doubt it's going to be better than the 989, which is meant to be better than the 868 and probably the last word in flaghip DVD players until HD comes along. God knows how it can better on picture quality but there you go :eek:

All I'm saying is I would try and audition both and make sure I felt the extra £600 was worth it. Personally I'd be surprised if there's much if any difference.

Well, I have the Oppo with the latest firmware and am not that impressed with the PQ (used with Pany 42pv500 via HDMI) I also have the Philips DVP 9000S and I can assure you the PQ is much better that the Oppo. (even my wife noticed) Problem with the Philips is that it isn't very backup friendly. :( I am hopping the 989 will be the answer to good PQ & compatibility. (Pioneers usually accepts anything you put in it) ... Hopefully, I'll let you know very soon.

If it was my money it would be a shoot off between the new Pioneer 989 (which I haven't seen) and the Arcams which I rate as the best at their price points (£1k and £1.6k). I would not undestimate the quality of audio however, it will make a big difference and is the reason I have never stayed with the cheap players with the great piccies (Like the Panny 97).

Just a thought but would keeping the 2910 and buying a scaler such as a Lumagen not also be an option.

URGENT QUICK WARNING or QUESTION(!) re Panasonic DVD-S97 and 720p::

Spoke with RicherSounds - they told me that the S97 only outputs at 750p (and 1025i) - NOT 720p - and therefore would NOT work on 720p compatible HDTVs - such as the ever-popular Samsung DLPs - eg SP46L3 or SP46L6, etc....via HDMI

Is this really true, guys???

PS. On reading the reviews eg at www.homecinemachoice.com - they seem to indicate the same thing - ie only 750p - no mention of 720p

Please HELP!!!

Krishna said:
URGENT QUICK WARNING or QUESTION(!) re Panasonic DVD-S97 and 720p::

Spoke with RicherSounds - they told me that the S97 only outputs at 750p (and 1025i) - NOT 720p - and therefore would NOT work on 720p compatible HDTVs - such as the ever-popular Samsung DLPs - eg SP46L3 or SP46L6, etc....via HDMI

Is this really true, guys???

PS. On reading the reviews eg at www.homecinemachoice.com - they seem to indicate the same thing - ie only 750p - no mention of 720p

Please HELP!!!

Garbage :lesson: It is a standard HDMI player but surprize surprize RS now doesn't have any to sell, what a surprize. :mad:

Spoke with RicherSounds - they told me that the S97 only outputs at 750p (and 1025i) - NOT 720p - and therefore would NOT work on 720p compatible HDTVs
Richer Sounds are a bit confused. 750p is the same as 720p. 1125i is the same as 1080i. I believe the higher numbers disregard overscan, or something like that.

It outputs both 720p and 1080i.

I tried an oppo and got shot of it straight away. Was no better than the S97 i use at the mo. In fact i found colours to be lacking the punch of the S97. But each to there own.
I have gone with the 989 and after reading the HCC review i think that this was a good choice. the pioneer also uses the vertibi decoder that greatly reduces noise(not sure that the 868i did).

Anyhow probaly best to avoid anything that has the faroudja chip if pic quality is your main concern, so that leaves arcam or pioneer or marantz as your best choices. (marantz are just about to or have released the 9600 which also does HDMI interlaced out).

My only beef with the the S97 is MBE which is now starting to get on my nerves a bit. So i hope my 989 turns up soon

As an owner of a very high-end DVD player that looks astounding on HDMI, I would still caution you about investing lots in what will soon be an old techology. Blue Ray or HD DVD are just around the corner. If I was in the same position again, i wouldnt throw nearly £3500 at a DVD player, however good the sound and picture. A really nice HTPC like a Uvem which will be endlessly upgradeable might be a better option.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom