1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Plasma set up for a living room for under £2K

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dannyboy23, Sep 20, 2004.

1. dannyboy23

dannyboy23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

Firstly, I am new here so apologise if this has been asked a thousand times before :rolleyes:

I have just managed to pursuade my better half that a nice 42 inch plasma would suit our new apartment.....

That said we have a pretty small budget for the screen and speakers of £2K.

What would be our options?

Is there a screen available for this price? if so what are people recommendations?

You guys seem a real knowledgable lot and I've had a look at Richer Sounds etc and am just plain confused!

1 last thing, we are not looking for lots of fancy bells and whistles, just a as good a picture as possible and a nice uncomplicated look!

Thanks guys..........

DB

2. MrPudding

MrPudding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im getting the Samsung PS42V4 tomorrow, like you said nothing fancy but will hopefully do the job. I will let you know whats its like, ive heard 50/50 reviews on it. However trying to find a review on it is almost impossible!

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yawn, you can get a panasonic and speakers for that kind of money. It'll blow a Samsung out of the water on picture quality, but you need to think through what will be connected to avoid your budget being treated similarly.

4. MrPudding

MrPudding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Boring isn't it. But true at the moment, as folks clear out their PW6 stock.

6. MrPudding

MrPudding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im not into mine is better than yours ok!

I was just saying that is the Model that i will getting tomorrow. Im not into all the in's and outs of Plasma's. All im after is something that has a decent picture and i can watch DVD's, TV, and play some video games.

However tomorrow i will hopefully know a little more! Lets what and see eh!

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Good luck with it mate, I hope you paid sensible money for that sammy, the price differential is next to nowt at present as far as I can see. 1 year ago panasonics were £3250 discount, now £1699 is best price. There's not many screens of any make for that kind of money.

8. MrPudding

MrPudding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paid 1750 for it, including FREE Vogel wall bracket! Will wait and see what tomorrow brings eh!

9. dannyboy23

dannyboy23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I'm really only wanting it to kick back and watch my sky+ on and a few DVD's, thats it I'm afraid...oh and play a little PS2.

So Panasonic seems to make the most noise on here, is the 42PWD6 that much better than the rest in this price bracket??

Thanks again.
    D

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yes we believe it is head and shoulders above anything else at the price currently, as I say it's due to the timing in Panasonic's model cycle. New one just around the corner and all that. No big changes on the new one for 99% of users, certainly not for you. Got any other AV kit at all? If not you'll be best off with a scart video board for now, refine your system later when a bit more dosh becomes available.

11. dannyboy23

dannyboy23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No kit at all at present...this is a totally new thing for me.

Pardon my ignorance but could you explain what a scart video board is and what it does???

Thanks
    D

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The panasonic has a modular system where you put video cards in slots underneathe the bottom edge of the screen to give you the inputs you want. The easiest for you will be a scard video board, simply adds a scart connection to the screen, and as you have a mix of devices, all scart but different signals, and not much slack in your budget, this is the most cost effective way of displaying them all. Not the very best for picture quality, but not 1/2 bad. Just enable 'RGB' on sky and DVD, and that's it. The PS2 comes with 'composite' video connection and that little scart adapter. This will work too, though you can do much better, try s-video and an adapter, £3.99 at CEX, or a component video kit, £30 or so. But you don't have to. I'd get the screen, a wall mount or stand, and the scart board and some speakers, it has a built in amp so any hi fi speakers will do if you can't or won't stump for panasonic side speakers (waste of money IMHO) They will work with the scart board, ie real plug and play, just plug in the scart and sit back and go 'Wow'...

13. dannyboy23

dannyboy23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot MAW for your help with this and for making a newbie welcome!

I'll get straight to it and researching where to get the best price....unless you know this as well? :thumbsup:

DB

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It changes almost by the hour. I'm not in the swingeing discount game, I like to make more than £20 on a £2k product, but try the sponsors links, and bargain hard.