1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best plasma-help plz.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by knobbs, May 9, 2005.

1. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi whats the best plasma for watching sports on esp footy-where theres no motion blur or the crowd in background look blurred, after 42in model sick of looking round stores that wont set it up to sky tv.
    only answer if you have a plasma plz.

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +366
    Well I have a plasma and the footy looks quite good on it, but I haven't compared it to all the other plasma's on the market so whether it's the best or not is hard to say. Also, it isn't only the plasma that you need to think about it is the sources, cabling, connections, scalers, converters etc that all make the difference.

FYI Panasonic PW7 37" with Pace Twin Freeview PVR connected via JS Tech RGB to VGA converter (version 2), with quality cables.

lisa

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Knobbs, a sky subscription costs businesses a fortune, it's thousands a year. That's OK if you are Currys, though of course they only use the RF feed! Lisa is right though, just buying 'the best' plasma will not automatically ensure soccer nirvana. Pressed into a corner, I'd suggest a Pioneer 43MXE-1 and a iscan HD scaler, SDI mod on your sky box is optional, you might blanch at the cost! This setup has other drawbacks though, it will not currently be skyHD compliant.
    The problem is, as a quick scan of the forum will show, is that the weakest input on any plasma TV is the scart. Follow that with the poor bitrate broadcast by sky from the average footy game, not to mention some of them look like they are filmed on a handicam, not a professional broadcast camera and crew, and you will see it's not that simple. I'm almost joking with the above recommendation, there are a number of ways of cracking this particular nut. But to get good results with dodgy signals you might well find a video processor/scaler is the only route, you can't expect a miracle from a plug and play TV solution.