1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best plasma for terrestrial TV + DVD only

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by oogie, Apr 9, 2005.

1. oogie

oogie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I’m looking to upgrade my CRT with a bigger screen for DVD and terrestrial TV only – these are my only inputs - I don’t have SKY (or want it due to cost, dish, etc).

My problem is I like the idea of a 42” but sit only around 9 feet away so am concerned about the various artefacts associated with freeview or analogue feeds I hear about.

I like the 435XDE but get the impression that this artefact issue with low-quality sources is more of a problem for this screen than others - is the PHD7 affected as bad? Would I be better off with a lower definition PE50 or PW7? Basically, what’s the best screen for freeview and/or analogue feed and are the artefacts a real problem for these 42” screens at 9 feet?

If yes and given that HD broadcasting won’t be an issue for some time on freeview can you recommend a 37” plasma? I like the look of the Panasonic PE50. Though any views on the new HD PV50?

Any advice appreciated - thanks.

2. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm...9 feet? that's around 2.7m.

I could happily live with a good analogue feed and a Panasonic 42PE50 at that distance. I get excellent reception leading to Freeview being terrible to watch, whereas analogue is artefact-free, smooth and crystal-clear.

The problem with analogue is that not many people get as good a reception: leading to ghosting, lines, some channels looking good whereas others not, or the brightness/colours being way off. Or I've heard tales of people getting wide-band aerials for Freeview only to mess up their analogue reception. I'd rather have the analogue thankyou - my favourite signal :)

The best you could do IMO, is a 42PV500 and Sky Freesat (£150 one-off payment and infintely better than Freeview in every way, including dramatic leaps in picture quality IMO). It should be absolutely fine, no need to worry about viewing distance - youve got plenty there.

Freeview...eurghhh... :thumbsdow

3. carlton

carlton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If u have havent got a freeview aerial super how can u say that.I got a decent wideband aerial and the picture is very nice ,far better then i was able to get off analogue.Everybodys situtation is obviously different but i would of thought for plamsa a digital signal is better then a analogue on the whole.

4. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do have a wide-band aerial!

5. Tarsh

Tarsh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 42PHD7 and mostly watch Telewest (RGB) via DMR-E85 Component output into AV Amp which outputs component to plasma. As a stopgap until Telewest release their multi receiver recorder I'm also feeding my Dad's freeview into the Amp with composite (converted to component in Amp) and use this to watch another channel while recording off cable. I was pleasantly surprised by the PQ, it's not far off the cable quality.

Viewing distance is around 10'.

6. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    well i get freeview through my viera and the pq is near dvd quality on some channels/programmes and at all times far better than analogue

paid a fair bit for a decent aerial (well insurance company did since previous one blew down in gales :D )

also freeview has advantage of widescreen etc :thumbsup: