Best plasma for Standard Definition

B

bloc_ed

Hi all

Before i begin, i have search the forum before beginning this post.

I'm looking to get my first plasma display. I will generally be using it for watching the odd DVD, But my main source of entertainment would come from my NTL line. I have no real plans to get HD Sky, only when NTL go HD will i ever be watching a HD feed.

It seems that the pannys have good reviews on SD, especially the new gens and the PHD8's. Problem is my Budget is around 1800 tops which must include a home cinema kit ( can't have a plasma without decent speakers), and before you say px60 or 600, im not too keen on the silver surround, much prefer piano black.

Was looking at the pio but the amount of retention issues is putting me off. can get a sxe pretty cheap these days with egg card.

Hitachi 9700 was also on my mind but heard that it has very bad build quality, is this true 9700 owners?

Any one have any ideas?

oh and im looking at either 37-42"

Thanks in advance for any help.

:lease:

Given your requirements - Panny PWD8. Without a doubt - black surround, superb with SD, and about a grand. If anybody suggests anything else, they are just dancing liars.

I agree, maybe not to the extent of calling naysayers liars, but £1800 would buy you a thumping system based around a PWD8. I'd suggest a PWD, a CYP RGB to component converter, Onkyo 503 amp, 403 DVD, and canton speakers to suit. If you want to get down to cable detail, Lindy are good value, and QED original 42 strand fits the Canton terminals nicely, and is good enough for a system like this. No frills, so silly dvd upconversion, just good, solid analogue component video switching and a single cable up to the plasma. Easy to use, kicking sound unless your room is huge, excellent SD picture, very good HD too.

thanks for your feedback guys. was considering the pw8, but i can i just confirm that this display will be able to handle SD, well at least 720 or 1080i?
I know i was asking about SD but dont want replace the display it in in a year when HD arrives on NTL ( or whenever it maybe)

I assume you mean will it handle HD? ;)

It will be able to display a picture, but it doesn't have the pixels to offer true HD. For that you would need a PHD8 instead of a PW8.

bloc_ed said:
thanks for your feedback guys. was considering the pw8, but i can i just confirm that this display will be able to handle SD, well at least 720 or 1080i?
I know i was asking about SD but dont want replace the display it in in a year when HD arrives on NTL ( or whenever it maybe)
Yeah it will take HD, and then downscale it to the resolution of your TV, so you can watch HD but not in its proper resolution, you can watch SD in its proper resolution.

i think i will just have to stretch to a phd8 instead, dont like the idea of downscaling when HD comes.
Thanks for all your help

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom