1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Plasma for Sky - mainly sports

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by irmster, Aug 4, 2004.

1. irmster

irmster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am finally going to take the plunge and invest my hard earned reduncancy money in a 42" screen. Will mainly be used for connection to Sky + for sports/football, but also to a Pioneer DVL 919 Laserdisc (remember those) DVD combi player.

I have read the various threads about the screen problems when watching Skysports etc, but there does not seems to be a definitive solution.

Any assistance on screen choice will be appreciated :lease:

Budget is quite flexible (ish!)

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Panasonic 42PW6 with J S Technology RGB to VGA converter will give you as good a Sky picture as you can get. Run it in for the 1st 200 hours with reduced contrast and brightness then have it professionally calibrated.

Piers
    Home Cinema Engineering

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    A scaler would help, and a Pioneer or panasonic Hi def screen is worth considering too. The dream setup for me is probably the panasonic hi def, and a scaler, ask me what make after Thursday, when Mr Lumagen is going to convince me his products are the best.

4. irmster

irmster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so the Panasonic not the Pioneer. What sort of price would the scaler be?

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    About £1k. Pio/panny choice is personal, there will be plenty of people who'd say the opposite, and I have no issue with that. The model would be the 43mx-1

6. Wazy

Wazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You say that your budget is flexible...

You could go for Piers suggestion at just a touch over £2000, or go with a HD screen and scaler for £4000-5000.

The best thing to do really is arrange to demo both options for yourself and see if you think its worth spending more on scaling and Higher Definition. I personally didnt and am more than happy with my Panny PW6 :)

The trouble with sky digital is that the image is compressed, but luckily sky do allocate a higher bitrate to sky sports, so football matches look the best they can. Until HDTV takes off it will never be perfect, but viewing using a JS Tech RGB2VGA box its very acceptable indeed, and preferable over a direct scart connection which can appear softer.