best plasma for 1500 quid, please don't start fighting!!

adymartin

Standard Member
Reaction score
hello, i'm new here, i know it's a matter of opinion but, with approx £1500 to spend, whats my best bet on the plasma front, 42".

i've checked out a phillips 42pf9946, looked good but i've heard they're built cheaply, haven't checked the panny th42pw7 in the flesh but it seems to be well respected,. it certainly seems to be between those two.

i've had a techwood!!! couldn't take it anymore!!!

please bear in mind I like my football and it will be mostly used hooked up to my skybox. and the occasional DVD.

thanks for your comments and lets not fall out!! I've read some of the other threads :laugh:

suggest you don't waste your cash mate and buy a better plasma, some of the older hitachi plasmas can be picked up for 2k, the difference between these and a crappy £1500 1 like the tiny or techwood will be the difference between watching videos on a 14 inch portable or going to the cinema, trust me

At that price point you have two choices. Buy a plasma that has been designed from the outset to hit that £1500 price or a Plasma that is at that price for discounted reasons.

If you already feel the Phillips is cheaply made then a lot of the other plasmas similar to it's level will also feel cheaply made. Samsung Techwood LG Daewoo all the same boat. Though I'd put one of the Phillips PP2 models I think it's the PF9946 ahead of these others.

Or you could go panel route, where the money has been spent on the general quality of the panel rather than the sum of it's parts. That's another option.

You can get some quality product at £1500 and you can also get something with "go-faster" stripes if that's your cup of tea as well. :)

adymartin said:
hello, i'm new here, i know it's a matter of opinion but, with approx £1500 to spend, whats my best bet on the plasma front, 42".

i've checked out a phillips 42pf9946, looked good but i've heard they're built cheaply, haven't checked the panny th42pw7 in the flesh but it seems to be well respected,. it certainly seems to be between those two.

i've had a techwood!!! couldn't take it anymore!!!

please bear in mind I like my football and it will be mostly used hooked up to my skybox. and the occasional DVD.

thanks for your comments and lets not fall out!! I've read some of the other threads :laugh:

i brought a techwood back in may 2004, it went back in august as i could not watch it, pq crap. Picked up a samsung ps42d4sxx from currys £1699, no need to buy boards as it has all the connections you need,pq fantastic,sq fantastic, money well spent, it beat all the others in store as i adjusted the settings on all of them to be able to pick the best model

thanks for all the input.
just a point for one of the replies, I don't think the philips looked cheap, it's just that i've picked up some negative vibes about it from some of the other threads. the panel is a cheapo or something like. it's twice the techwood panel is all i can say!!
thinking more in line with the panny 7 at the mo', but am open to suggestion.
once again, thanks everyone!!

it's tough when your budget is small, but i'm not wanting the earth, just the best available. i run an LCD on 6ft screen for my home movie experience. I really am talking the best plasma for television watching, mostly sports and documentaries. from your feedback it seems there are a couple of extra units i should check out, thanks for that(makes it all the harder!!) :smashin:

shine on.

Quote 'it's tough when your budget is small'. £1500 for a screen isn't small, it's a lot of cash - take your time, view all the contenders and then make a decision.

£1500 is huge when you buy the wrong display for you.

quote.

"suggest you don't waste your cash mate and buy a better plasma, some of the older hitachi plasmas can be picked up for 2k, the difference between these and a crappy £1500 1 like the tiny or techwood will be the difference between watching videos on a 14 inch portable or going to the cinema, trust me"

am i to assume that neither the philips 42pf9946 nor the panasonic 42pw7 are worth their salt then as i have seen both available for this price'ish.

really am confused now!!

Have a look at a Panasonic 42" PW6 at Richer Sounds £1200.

You may need to buy an additional input board or a scart to vga adapter (£120) and a stand or wall bracket (£100)

You should be well within your budget.

and if you want 5.1 Audio what about Panasonic SCHT05 £170 also from RS)

On initial viewing it can be very difficult to tell much difference between plasmas. With cartoon type images they all look great. The Panasonic just looks much more like a conventional CRT type image than most of the others. Look at some films and let your eyes decide.

hornydragon, what is PJ?

thanks for you advice everyone, hadn't thought about the pw6 as i just assumed the pw7 would be better, being a new model and all.

audio is not a problem, already have a technics surround system. should go with the panny quite nicely.

easy one for you.

if i were to buy a pw7 or pw6 which board would i need to get with it.

the only connection i have is from my sky digibox. my dvd can hook up to that aswell. so i only need a scart connector??.or am i an idiot and missing out on potentially better pictures?

my dvd only has s-video and yellow cable (sorry, don't know what this is called) outputs, this in turn plugs into a scart plug thingy!! (sorry) sure you know what i mean.

any help would be appreciated, sorry i don't know the technical terms.

Audio outs from sky box into technics.

projection room is totally sperate from plasma room.

cheers mate, once I gat the curries man to take away my 'beautiful' techwood, i'll either be giving av sales a call for a pw7 or getting myself off to RS for a pw6.
thanks for all your advice and tips!! :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom