• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Best plasma for £850

forbzy

Standard Member
Hey kind peeps, I am asking on behalf of a friend, and wonder whether anyone would be kind enough to point me in the direction of the best Plasma screen that £850 can buy, either 42 or 50". Any help would be much appreciated, thanks. :thumbsup:

MenaiMonster

Standard Member
Hi
Bennetts are doing the Panasonic TH46PZ85 for £799. That's a lot of screen for the money. I've just ordered one so can't yet vouch for the quality personally - but looking elsewhere and on here the PZ series from 2008 gets good reviews.
I think John Lewis are selling the TH42PZ80 for £792 - a smaller screen and slightly lower spec for the same money - BUT JL includes a five-year warranty with that (and free delivery - although I blagged free delivery from Bennetts too).

pannyfanny

In general, you can't fall off with a Panny.

Get the biggest one you can afford as they shrink when they are put next to a window. Nah, I'm pulling your leg, sunlight does not make them shrink - you just get used to a telly really quickly. When you first get 'em you are like Jees, that's massive (I hear that all the time) but you soon get used to it, hence, they appear to shrink..

If you want to be a w1lly waver, save up and get a Pioneer.
Just kiddin' Pioneer fans - I love them too but I'm a knuckle draggin' simpleton that can't afford one.
:hiya:

arg1271

Standard Member
Up to a couple of weeks ago I would have said the Th42pz80 from JL - free delivery, 5 year warranty all for £792, only thing is they've now upped the price to £999.

jayden28

PZ80 or the PZ85 your choice:thumbsup:.

rewerb

Up to a couple of weeks ago I would have said the Th42pz80 from JL - free delivery, 5 year warranty all for £792, only thing is they've now upped the price to £999.
This can be pricematched to JL Glasgow who are selling the 42PZ80 at £699:smashin:.

vince_vega

Hi
Bennetts are doing the Panasonic TH46PZ85 for £799. That's a lot of screen for the money. I've just ordered one so can't yet vouch for the quality personally - but looking elsewhere and on here the PZ series from 2008 gets good reviews.

Where can I get a TH46PZ85 for £799? I cant find one anywhere!!!!

djaustin

Standard Member
Hey kind peeps, I am asking on behalf of a friend, and wonder whether anyone would be kind enough to point me in the direction of the best Plasma screen that £850 can buy, either 42 or 50". Any help would be much appreciated, thanks. :thumbsup:

Pioneer 4280xd if you can find one (I did new in Currys). Otherwise you can't go wrong with a Panasonic. If it's really 50" then 720p 50PX80 and sit 12 feet back :).

eiren

Distinguished Member
I would recommend getting a Samsung over a Panasonic. Better picture quality for your money. If you can find an 8G Pioneer for £850, even better.

Lin3ar

Distinguished Member
I would recommend getting a Samsung over a Panasonic. Better picture quality for your money. If you can find an 8G Pioneer for £850, even better.

Can't agree with that.Panasonics, the PZ or PX series, are pretty far ahead of the Sammys when it comes to PQ.

Infact, I would rate the LG's as superior to the Samsungs as well.

eiren

Distinguished Member
Well we'll have to disagree on that one. I've had a chance to calibrate a few of the latest models, and the Panasonic Viera models are a big let down compared to previous great sets from Panasonic.

The Samsung sets can be calibrated to give a much more pleasing (and accurate) picture than the others in the latest generation. That's where my money would go.

Lin3ar

Distinguished Member
I can't comment on the Samsung performance once calibrated but I doubt there is much call to spend £250 calibrating a TV that can be bought for under £600.The average plasma buyer is just not interested, they just wan't to be able to switch on, maybe tweak contrast and brightness and that is it.

Personally, I think the Panasonics can give a very accurate picture out of the box with a couple of minor tweaks (though not up to the standard of a well calibrated one)

Don't get me wrong, I think Samsungs make damn good TV's.I just think Panasonics, including the latest series, are a bit better.

Kordau

Standard Member
the best Plasma screen that £850 can buy, either 42 or 50"

If you're lucky, you might still be able to nab a Panasonic TH-42PZ80 for £599, including 5-year warranty and delivery, from John Lewis at Watford. Leaves your friend enough change to select a nice matching stand, to boot.

Check out this thread for details.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom