1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Plasma for £3k?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sixspeed, Nov 26, 2003.

1. sixspeed

sixspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    My girlfriends' parents want to upgrade their A/V system. They're investing in a new screen and surround setup.

They want to get a 42/43" Plasma screen, and have about £3k to spend. Can anyone recommend the best performing screen for this price bracket?

-andy-

2. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a 42" hitachi from John Lewis for £3K including 5yr warranty. The model I bought comes with tuner box, speakers and desk-stand so it's an all-in-one solution and I'm very happy with it. I use it for watching satellite TV most of the time.

There are lots of Pioneer and Panasonic fans on this forum too.

I would suggest the first thing your girlfriend's parents should decide is whether its an all-in-one TV type solution or screen only that they want, each has it benefits and disadvantages.

3. pizzacheaze

pizzacheaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, also consider things like teletext if you buy a display only screen.

we have digital teletext in freeview boxes, but it does not contain all the pages, for example i needed flight arrival times and could not get them on digital teletext.

i bought a freeview tuner just for the teletext and was dissapointed, it can only get better i suppose.

for display, let me be the first to say panasonic pw6 for sub 3k. It has no tuner but picture quality is excellent. Home cinema choice magazine hails it as the plasma king. (at the moment)

4. sixspeed

sixspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Ahh, a vital point that I forgot! They have Telewest for their day-to-day channel watching, so don't necessarily need one with a tuner box, although they will need a means to connect this to it (SCART?). The DVD player should connect via Component (I'm 99% certain they have a component output on their player).

Teletext isn't important, and the PW6 is on my shortlist and looking like the most likely purchase! :)

-andy-

5. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Based upon what you say, it has to be the 42PW6 (silver) or 42PWD6 (black)...see the other thread on the PWD for £2.5k inc VAT

JJ