1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Plasma for £2k

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by vicsalt, Mar 26, 2005.

1. vicsalt

vicsalt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please help was looking to buying the philips 998 lcd tv but now turning to plasma. Have been looking at the Sony KEP42M1, any good ? I dont really want to spend over £2k. Looking for TV not just a screen.

thanks

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,699
    If you're after a TV and if hidef isn't too important to you then the new viera TH42PE50 at £1995 looks like a very good bet. It's available from www.av-sales.co.uk or most powerhouse stores at the moment.

Cheers,
    Andy.

3. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    right now is a bad time to buy a consumer TV. in the next few months, virtually every major manufacturer is bringing out new sets.

my money is on the forthcoming Panasonic 42PV500 being the best in your budget (or at most £100/200 over), and probably the best by a long way. This is a high-resolution screen with HDMI. its what I'd demo as soon as its out...

4. vicsalt

vicsalt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No it must be Hdef compatible, im not spending 2k to be out of date

5. steve24855

steve24855
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would also look at the TH42PE50 from John Lewis as this is also £1995 but comes with a 5 Year warranty.

6. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 42PV500 is truly HD compatible, the 42PE50 is not. And the PV500 should have much better picture quality, and a more stylish exterior.

I am sure you will be able to get it within or very close to a £2000 budget when it is in stock (after a couple of months probably)...and John Lewis' pricematch includes their 5 year warranty too.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,523
    Hello all

I'm surprised so many folk are jumping at the NEW Viera 500 range without seeing what it gets up to with a 1280x720P signal to make it fit on a 1024x768P Pixel array. It might be Good - then again it might not!

vicsalt - with 2K to burn your looking to find an 'HD Compatible' Display - even if its says 'HD Ready' on the tin!

There's nothing on the market for sub 2K (even at 5K your very limited) that's capable of full resolution 1280x720P - though there's a few 852x480P and 1024x768P Displays that are sub 2K that will work with SKY HD via HDMI or DVI when it arrives.

The 'Important' specification to look out for is Compatibility with an HDCP encrypted Digital Signal (HDMI or DVI) with a resolution of 1280x720P or 1920x1080i at 50Hz; that's what SKY HD will be outputting if you want to see all of the HD content they will have on offer.

Best regards

Joe

8. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,699
    Have you considered DLP sets? There are quite a few HD ready 1280x720 resolution DLP TVs available. The samsung 46" looks nice, just depends whether you're affected by DLP rainbows really. If it's plasma you definitely want and hidef is important to you then get a display with at least 720 horizontal lines and with a DVI or HDMI input that is HDCP compatible and also compatible with a 50hz refresh rate. There aren't many plasmas around that meet that spec, the new Viera 500 does and at a very reasonable price to be honest. As Joe says the new HD vieras are an unknown quantity when it comes to their performance with 1280x720 or 1920x1080 material but I'd wager if you saw such material on one you'd be very pleased with what you saw! If they do suck at scaling such material down to the native resolution of the panel then there's always the option of adding a scaler at a later date. Whether that will bring about a £1000 (or more) worth improvement in PQ is another matter though! I fed the Euro1080 hidef signal into my Panny TH42PHD7 panel when I had one and it looked absolutely incredible and I saw no reason to get anything to improve the scaling, it literally was like looking through a window onto the scene! I see no reason why such material should look any worse on the new Viera panels (I could be wrong, time will tell).

Cheers,
    Andy.

9. vicsalt

vicsalt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May be I should go 4 the philips 998 lcd then, or is that a bad thing to say in here? This was the TV i was going to buy but my local retailer tells me to plum for a plasma as there PQ is better ?

He will sell me a Sony KEP42M1S for around 2k but is this a dated TV is there something better.
    Everyone goes on about Hdef and as im about to buy my most expensive TV ever it really needs to support Skys HD when it starts

10. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,699
    Check out the 46" Samsung DLP, worth looking at to see what you think. To be honest I don't know how LCDs perform these days but I was always under the impression they lagged behind plasma and DLP in terms of picture quality, maybe that's changed now. I wouldn't rush into an LCD purchase and I wouldn't get that Sony as it's not a hidef panel, does it even have a HDCP compatible input? Do you absolutely have to get one right now as things look like they're going to get interesting in the next couple of months, the new HD viera will be out and no doubt some other HD ready plasmas so it might be worth waiting a month or two, as you said you're about to buy your most expensive tv ever, best making sure it's HD ready!

Cheers,
    Andy.

11. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    The LG RZ42PX11 is a great bargain buy it has a built in tuner, speakers amazing picture for the price, its cheaper than the Sony and just as good ( my mate has the Sony, its good but no better than the LG ).

Hope this helps, good luck! :thumbsup:

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    For £2k max you will not get an HD ready 42" (the 37" PV500 might just creep in at budget if you are lucky...................Buy now or wait a while tis up to you....But why not buy a System with Panel Source reciever (hub) and speakers for £2k??? that way when new technology arrives you just replace one part of the system and dont have to start all over again?????????? see the plasma FAQ

13. vicsalt

vicsalt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well bin out today and been looking hard in J.Lewis @ the Pioneer PDP435FDE and the Philips 998 (which did look v good on an analogue feed). I think i could pick up the pioneer for around £2.5K is this worth spending the extra money, Im under the understanding this is future proof and suports all thats required. I would go to that budget if I felt it was the right way to go. It is a bit big but my room is a good size so it isnt really an issue.
    Thanks for all advice so far.

14. Bengbeng

Bengbeng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Have you seen a HD broadcasting on a HD screen vs a ED screen? Last week i compared the Hitachi 42PD4200 (non hd) vs the 42PD5200 (hd) and the Pioneer435 (also hd), all feeded with a Euro1080 hd signal, and i hardly saw any difference in terms of resolution/sharpness. The ED screen looked as sharp and nice as the HD screens.

None of the current 42" HD Plasma's are 720p native, they'll have to downscale the image. My feeling is that this is the reason why i hardly saw any difference. From what i've seen till now i think the extra cash for a hd screen isn't worth it over a ED screen.

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    PIonner is 1024x768 so while not 720 native wont have to downscale, neither of the hitachi you saw are HD they are ALIS and both 1024x1024 ALIS res (not HD res in my book).............the pio is more like it but i will put money on the Panny PV500 being better! and the same price in a month or two when it hits our shores....

16. Bengbeng

Bengbeng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The 42pd4200 has a 853x480(p) res., the 5200 is indeed 1024x1024(i).

I'm in the market for a pdp screen, and ofcourse being interested in hd, but my point was that i didn't see a convincing difference in terms of sharpness/resolution between the non-hd 4200 and the hd 5200/Pioneer435 with the Euro1080 signal on it. Besides this, non-hd screens have a far better contrastratio in general. (4200 = 3000:1, 5200/Pio435 = 1000/1200:1)

Btw, 720p is 1268x720, so even the Pioneer has to downscale horizontal. But even this small downscaling didn't give it a better pq in terms of sharpness over the 4200. This was not only my opinion, but also my friend's and the salesman who demonstrated it.

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    yes all 42" screens (plasma) will need to down scale horizontal (i thought the 4200 was Alis too) how were all 3 connected? i have seen Panny PWD7 and PHD7 together and the PHD7 was much better with HD source

18. Bengbeng

Bengbeng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I don't know how they were connected. I'll go again to that shop this week, and try to find out if they made some errors.

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    if either are connected with scart then its only getting a 576i feed! component or DVi for 1080i and see if STB is set to 1080i or 720p (is selectable in menu)