1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Plasma Ever!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Billilu, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I realise What Hi-Fi Sound & Vision is far too mainsteam for the tastes of many on this board, but the latest copy popped through my letterbox this morning, with the words BEST PLASMA EVER emblazoned on the front cover alongside a picture of the Pioneer HDP-434HDE. The review is so glowing, the faces of the Pioneer designers will be glowing too, either with pride or embarrassment.

I'm just glad I ordered mine early, before the masses got to hear of it! For which I am thankful to the trendsetters on this forum!

(Next month, my soon-to-arrive Pioneer DV-868-AVi!)

(Edit - I just had to break up the run of five threads in a row about the Panny 6. Perhaps the owners of the Pannys and the owners of the Pioneers should all meet up in some anonymous city centre underground car park, and just have it out.)

2. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hello Bill,

Glad you're a happy pio punter. I'm still waiting for my 504 (hopeful for next weekend) and I've just ordered my 868. I'll just wait for the missis to get over the shock and then I'll introduce the final piece of the jigsaw.........the AX5 Pio Reciever.

I sure is broke !

Simon

3. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Poor but happy! :D

4. FCP FAN

FCP FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is that the same magazine that raved about the 36PD30D?
    Just wondering....

Wait till they get the Pana6 Hi-def for review...

"Best Plasma Ever EVER" LOL:laugh:

5. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Billilu
    Granted what your saying mate, but to be honest were talking different price brackets.
    I picked my Panny 42" PW6 brand new up for £2700. Which by my reckoning is a saving of £1300 on your Pioneer.

6. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Mr THX,

You seem to be comparing an SD res screen to an HD one.

Steve

7. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Yep :p

Hopefully though, people will demo rather than take the mags on face value...

JJ

8. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This only applies the those publications that disagree with us :D :D

Phil

9. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's the aforementioned review:

http://www.whathifi.com/newsMainTemplate.asp?type=latestissue&newssectionID=7&storyID=157.

BE WARNED: THIS review could well endanger your bank balance. We’re more enthusiastic about plasma televisions than ever, but until the Pioneer PDP-434HDE arrived, most of us have been a little wary about actually buying one. But this set is so good, it’s got several of us pondering a long, pleading letter to Santa. Or a bank job...

Pioneer has produced its own panels (as opposed to buying off-the-shelf parts from another manufacturer) for several years now. It’s been a consistently strong performer in the plasma sector, and last year’s PDP-433HDE impressed us so much we gave it an Award. With that pedigree, the all-new PDP-434HDE ought to be a strong contender in its class.

And boy, is it ever. The PDP-434HDE could well be the best plasma TV we’ve ever seen. From a conventional DVD player signal, the PDP-434HDE delivers excellent colours, and bright, crisply resolved details. It also generates impressive contrast for a plasma display, handling the murk of tricky scenes in The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers with real finesse. You can actually discern the subtle differences in grey and black tones on the armour sported by the Orc warriors, which is remarkable for any plasma. You’ll also notice the very low incidence of screen ‘noise’ – a testament to the Pioneer’s high resolution. It copes with rapid movements with slick consistency, seldom lapsing into the ‘blocking’ effects that can plague lesser screens. As with most plasmas, the off-air broadcast performance isn’t quite so remarkable, being a touch grainy by comparison, but a good digital TV signal helps to keep it to acceptable levels.

Impressed? You ain’t seen nothing yet. The PDP-434HDE adds two new inputs not found on earlier models. One accepts an adaptor for digital media cards – allowing you, for instance, to view images taken on a digital camera. The other is an HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) input, designed to receive direct digital transfer of DVD-Video pictures from compatible DVD players. These are rare at the moment, but could well represent a huge advance for DVD-Video performance – and Pioneer will launch two HDMI-equipped players before Christmas, both of which will cost the right side of £1000.

For more on HDMI, see below. But if all you want to know is ‘is it worth it?', then take our word for it: yes. The PDP-434HDE takes on a whole new dimension when fed from a DVD player with an HDMI output. Look forward to brighter colours, deeper, richer blacks and an almost eerie three-dimensional quality to the picture. It’ s just spectacular.

OK, so the chances are you don’t own an HDMI player. Fair enough – but maybe one day you will. But even as it is, and even with ‘basic’ DVD-Video signals, the PDP-434HDE truly is the best plasma TV we’ve ever seen.

The High-Definition Multimedia Interface explained

Now don’t panic. For now, HDMI should only enter your shopping radar if you’re looking for a new plasma, projector, LCD TV or high-end DVD player.

So, what’s it all about? The best way to view HDMI is a Scart connector for the 21st Century. It’s designed to provide a simple yet ‘intelligent’ connection between suitable sources and displays, much like Scart, and it can carry more than just picture signals, again, like Scart.

But that’s where the similarities end. HDMI stands for High-Definition Multimedia Interface, and the idea is vastly improved performance than we can currently get using analogue video cables.

Using an HDMI cable, you can transfer uncompressed digital video, whether at standard resolution or in higher definition form, from a DVD player directly on to a suitable display device. The system allows for as much as 5Gbps (gigabits per second), which is roughly 10 times as fast as the high-speed digital audio transfer cable, FireWire.

Translation? Pioneer’s new DV-868AVi DVD player can send DVD-Video in 750p form into the PDP-434HDE. 750p means 750 lines of picture, progressively scanned. The best you can currently get from a conventional DVD player is 480p for US DVDs, and 576p for UK discs. That means (if you buy the right kit) you’ll see at least 174 extra lines of video information. Which is nice.

10. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmmm

750p apparently available from the 868ai, really, they obviously did their research well!

11. frozendexter

frozendexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    After living with mine for two weeks I have to say the review is right. ITS THE BEST PLASMA EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rotfl: :clap: :laugh:

12. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How does it look when connected to Sky Digital? As this will be the majority of my viewing if and when I get a Plasma screen.

Koing

13. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    This sounds a complete contradiction to Gordons opinion of the pioneer plasma, given in another thread.

14. Arsenal

Arsenal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wasn't aware Gordon ever gave his full opinion on it, just a passing comment on one he had seen at a show in scotland that hadn't been properly setup.. Can you link to his full comments?

15. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Also reviewed in Jan 2004 of What Video TV - 434HDE wins the 2004 plasma award with the Panny PW6 and a couple of others as close 2nd's...they seem to quite like them both!!! :)

Definitely best to do a side by side demo me thinks ;)

JJ

16. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wait till next month as they have the Panny 6 on review (and a load of others). Guess I'll hold out till Dec 15th before making any decisions on a screen! (although budget dictates Pan6 really) :D

17. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    While I have been waiting for my pioneer 504 to arrive my dealer lent me a demo pannasonic 42pw6 and very good it is,I think that it will take some beating on the tv picture that it produces.

18. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I saw the pioneer showing normal TV in curry's.
    Purely my opinion (as a panasonic owner !), but I thought the same SD source looked better through the £2,500 Thomson plasma.

I think that if price is your main driver (who's isn't ?), then the Panasonic PW6 is very good for £2,700 - £3,100.

I did see the Pioneer looking very good with DVD at the Manchester show.

If you require future proofing then the Pioneer is very good.
    Don't forget though that so far only Pioneer product have digital outputs that are HDMI compatible at the moment, so as said previously you will need to buy a new DVD player.
    I hope ARCAM come out with something soon, and that the Panasonic can handle whatever protocol (?) has finally been decided upon somehow.

Steve

P.S. I really like the picture from my Panasonic HD plasma. Very, very good with Sky movies etc.:clap: :clap:

19. kifimoto

kifimoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've just bought my pio434 at sevenoaks today! yippee! they know the demand is high and only gave me discounts on the speakers and the stand. not that cheap but i can't complain!

does anyone know whether the pio dv868 comes with a HDMI cable?

20. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    kifimoto
    Is the Pioneer DV868 out yet ? (early December current predictions from some shops).
    I suspect no one will know the answer until it appears in shops, but I think you'll have to pay extra for the cable, one website that supplies it states it comes with composite, analogue and iLINK cables only.

I wish my plasma took HDMI.

Enjoy,

Steve.

Edit: Sorry kifimoto, just checked and found a lower thread. apparently the DV868 is available but does not come with HDMI cable.

21. X3ELS

X3ELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    We had the Panasonic and the Pioneer side by side at the event, fed with DVD / Hi-Def and Test patterns, i am surprised no one has mentioned which they thought was better??

I know which i would buy :)

22. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So which one was better? 434HDE?

I saw one in Curry's with SD I think or some loop they were running. It looked 'alright' but wasn't stunning. The feed did look BEST on that compared to the others though.

I want tocheck out the PA20B and see how that compares.

Koing

23. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Enlighten us then X3ELS.

24. Claus

Claus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my 868 DVD player 2 days ago.
    No HDMI cable - damn!!!
    Now, where can I get one?

Claus

25. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    You know a lot of the Panny owners are sat at home with a wry smile on there faces. IMHO Pioneer looks to have shafted the very people who will/have made them great...........technology followers will always forge the markets, here they look to have been let down ???
    I think other threads point to Joe from Media Factory, although I beleive he only has 1mtr lenghts???

Good luck in your search my friend :smashin:

26. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What?

Can you make that a bit clearer.

*wry* ~ worried? cry? on their faces?

Koing

27. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Wry -- Ironic

Being that if other Plasma purchasers had decided to go down the Plasma /Player combo route of Pioneer they would be left (at the moment ) without means to link there two most recent purchases together. Very Frustrating I imagine.

28. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I can't speak for Elliot, but ... at EventII we saw the 434HDE side by side with a SD Panny 6 and some kind of Fuji screen. When we saw them (we went round the event in small groups) they were being fed interlaced component output from an Arcam DVD player, and also HiDef from a JVC DTheater thingy.

The Fuji looked very greyed out, although Joe (running the demo) explained that it was an pretty old model, up against the latest from Pana and Pio. Some people did prefer the color balance on the Fuji though, but all agreed it was just too grey (no constrast).

The Pio, IMHO, looked terrible. The guy sitting next to me used the word "shocking". The picture was looked over processed, blocky and noisy. The Menus looked nice though.

The panny looked the best of the three.

We also saw the 503MXE and 50" HD Panny 6 side-by-side. Here the difference was much less apparent. I personally felt the Pio still looked a little noisy, but the group as a whole split pretty much down the middle.

Having seen the 433MXE at the start of the demo, then the 434HDE, and finally the 503MXE, I (can't speak for the others) came to the conclusion that the tuner box on the HDE isn't the greatest thing in the world for ultimate PQ (like all the others then !).

Cheers, Carl

29. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Gordon had nothing good to say and what hi-fi had everything good to say.You dont think that a contrardiction?

30. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been looking for a plasma for more than two years.

ON SD analog cable the Pana SD models were clearly superior to Pio 433. Comparing the 434 to everything else which I have seen until today I am really sure that the Pio has a much sharper picture than the Panas which are too flattened out to my taste.

Also comparing the 434 with 433 it is very clear that the 434 made a big jump forward. The picture is very stable, rock solid and with very little noise.

People comparing the Pana with Pio often try to find a picture which they are used from their Panas. It is DIFFERENT but it is NOT better.

The more I watch my Pio the more I wonder about the PQ. Sure you start seeing more picture problems after a few weeks but with good sources (even non-DVD) the 434 is overwhelming. I sit there and watch programs I wouldn't watch normally. But I am obsessed with the picture quality. Who said the picture was terrible ??? There must be something very wrong with connections/adjustments. :nono: