1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Plasma and DVD Player

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dinarly, Jan 18, 2003.

1. dinarly

dinarly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been planning on getting a plasma display for some time and have been waiting until I could afford to change my DVD player. The player (Pioneer 717) has just died so the time seems right and I need advice on both the plasma and player.

I want a 50 inch display with some form of tuner function (external box/VCR?).

The DVD player will output via a Denon AVR-3800 and I think I would like it to output Prog Scan (in PAL?).

Other inputs are a Sky box (Grundig), PS2 Xbox (soon) and VCR.

So what are the best displays out there now and planned for release? - Fujitsu/Panny/Pioneer?

What are the best DVD players to match the plasma?

Where are the best places (London/South Coast) to buy this kit?

I’m a newby – be gentle.
    :confused:

2. saggio

saggio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    One of the best places to see plasma screens South of London is Nexnix in Horsham (www.nexnix.co.uk).

There you will be able to see 4 of the best side-to-side. Russel is a gret guy and very professional.

3. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I have a Pioneer DV-737 DVD player that followed your 717.
    Having bought the PDP-433HDE plasma TV, I also added the new DV-757 player. I moved the 737 to another room with the previous 32" CRT Sony TV.
    I made a lot of tests on the plasma with the 737 and the 757.
    All I can say is that the 737 is still great but the 757 is simply SUPERB!!
    Definitely recommended. By the way my receiver is a Denon AVR-3801.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,472
    Dinarly

Unless you are really stuck on a PlasmaTV with the external tuner to gain a few tricks (picture in picture and the like) and features (Teletext, WSS, Analogue Tuner) I'd stick with one of the Plasma Display models and use the cash you save on the tuner elsewhere in your system.

With a Pioneer MXE or Panasonic 5 Series Plasma Display and your Denon AVR3802 you have more than enough basic switching power to fulfil your requirements (the Pioneer MXE more so than the Panasonic 5-Series).

I'd go with a Pioneer PDP-503MXE fitted with the PDA-5002 video card and add in a Quattro+ RGB SCART switch (3 RGB inputs) along with a JS Technology RGB2YUV converter and plug the output of the converter into the second YUV in on your amp.

You can connect your Digibox, PS2 and X-Box up as RGB signals to the SCART switch - using the relevant RGB cables for the consoles. And the Converter will then output whichever is selected as YUV.

You will have to look at the audio connectivity carefully as you may want to use Digital audio out of the X-Box and or a SKY+ set top box.

If you wanted to use the cash you saved on a tuner box to 'improve' your systems video quality you could order the MXE without the PDA-5002 card and add in the new Key Digital card with a higher quality video processor that the standard PDA-5002 has or an external scaler such as the Silicon Image iScan Ultra.

As far as DVD players go then I'd look at the Arcam DV88+ or Denon DV2800mk11 Progressive scan models if you want a PAL and NTSC progressive scan signal without breaking the bank - of course if you have more cash you could go more upmarket within the Arcam or Denon range.

Trust this helps.

Joe

PS There are no new Pioneer Displays on the horizon for at least another ten months - or more!

5. dinarly

dinarly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice on displays, players and suppliers. (My amp is the 3802 as you have guessed).

Does the Pioneer give a better picture than all of the others? Specs do indicate a better brightness figure but lower contrast.

The possibility of plug in cards for the displays is just beginning to dawn on me. Does this offer some form of future proofing?

I’ve been reading more around the subject and it looks like there is an emerging standard to support a complete digital path – DVI/HDCP (I think the HDCP is a decoding standard to stop digital duplication – but don’t know what it stands for). It seems that Fujitsu will support this soon. Do you know if Pioneer, Panasonic or others are due to? (perhaps by a plug in card?)

6. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    HDCP = High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection

7. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +376
    Panasonic have a DVI card for their series 4 range ... and I presume for the series 5 ??

Not sure about the others ...

Jon