Best place to sell used DVDs/DVD box sets?

King Mustard

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Where would you say the best places are to sell used DVDs these days?

You tried here ?

You probably won't get much luck here. There's only a handful of people who buy DVDs on the trade section. You could always try eBay. I've just sold a bulk lot of 40 for around £25 (one's that I couldn't give away on here). You might be better off just sending them to somewhere like MusicMagpie, but there's no harm in trying here first.

I tried selling some titles on eBay but it was very competitive meaning prices were low (with most offering free postage, and with Ebay limiting you to a maximum of a pound if you do decide to charge). Out of five Blu-rays sold I had a couple of people claim titles never arrived and to avoid getting a bad reputation I had to refund them. The whole experience made it too much hassle individually photographing them, buying packaging, posting etc for no real financial results given the work involved and the ability of people to claim they never received the goods (recorded delivery etc made selling prices too expensive when compared with what others were charging for the same titles)

After the bad Ebay experience I went to filmvault.co.uk and sent them a list of everything I wanted to sell. I found them very professional. I was very happy with the price and although their offer was always conditional on DVDs being in "new condition" some of the titles had crushed/broken packaging through being stacked too high over the years. They still paid the full amount they'd agreed based on the title list I initially sent. Using them had the advantage that I just had to package them in large boxes and they collected them. I didn't even have to make a trip to the Post Office.

I tried selling some titles on eBay but it was very competitive meaning prices were low (with most offering free postage, and with Ebay limiting you to a maximum of a pound if you do decide to charge). Out of five Blu-rays sold I had a couple of people claim titles never arrived and to avoid getting a bad reputation I had to refund them. The whole experience made it too much hassle individually photographing them, buying packaging, posting etc for no real financial results given the work involved and the ability of people to claim they never received the goods (recorded delivery etc made selling prices too expensive when compared with what others were charging for the same titles)

After the bad Ebay experience I went to filmvault.co.uk and sent them a list of everything I wanted to sell. I found them very professional. I was very happy with the price and although their offer was always conditional on DVDs being in "new condition" some of the titles had crushed/broken packaging through being stacked too high over the years. They still paid the full amount they'd agreed based on the title list I initially sent. Using them had the advantage that I just had to package them in large boxes and they collected them. I didn't even have to make a trip to the Post Office.
I'll give them a whirl, thank you! :)

I pretty much agree with irascian.

Ive sold quite a lot on ebay over the last 10 years.

However...for some reason (and maybe it is just bad luck) things have got a lot worse recently. I had a couple of bad experiences (selling again) so left it for a year or two - then I made the mistake of selling on ebay again. First off I had a complaint of item 'not arriving' so I had to refund so as not to look bad.

Then I thought I give them benefit of the doubt (even though Ive had a couple of other bad experiences in the past) and sell something again - and yep...."item didnt arrive" again and another refund (together with exorbiant postage costs which I lost out on thanks to ebay setting a cap).

I did eventually get most of the money back through a post office claim on the last one but I really dont need the hassle for items less than £20 in the first place.

And during the above bad experiences I sold at least 20-30 items on amazon marketplace. And guess how many went 'missing' ? You guessed it - none.

I still buy the odd (only cheap) thing on ebay but I wont sell anything on there anymore. And I have sold a lot of stuff on there in the past. Prices have become terrible too on the whole. I think some people just think "Oh its ebay - it must be the cheapest option". Very often (these days) it isnt!

I've had too many problems with flaky customers on Ebay, so I mostly sell on Amazon Marketplace. I've sold loads over three years, but recently business has really dropped off.

eBay's great -if you're the buyer.

If selling I think places like AVF http://www.avforums.com/forums/movie-music-classified-adverts/ is best but if you have something of great value then eBay may be the way to go.

If you just want rid quick then those links above or the AVF again -1 or 2 buyers here like bulk.

I'm always after stuff so check out my links too! :)

I try to avoid selling on eBay at all. Last week I got negative feedback from a guy who wanted £2 refund (out of £17), because the game I sold 'was not mint' (which I knew was not true) yet wouldn't provide extra details or pictures and didn't contact again. Turns out they've left about 10 negs in the past few weeks and aren't registered as a business seller when they should be. :mad:

In fact, avoid this guy: http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/buymeitsgreat

Last edited:
I've had too many problems with flaky customers on Ebay, so I mostly sell on Amazon Marketplace. I've sold loads over three years, but recently business has really dropped off.

You too eh? Ive noticed this over the last say 6 weeks. Start of the year till 6 weeks ago has been pretty good. Now its gone very quiet!

This is the site I sold my whole DVD collection too (around 300 DVDs) they were very good. Highly recommend them as well :thumbsup:

When you consider how hard it is to sell DVDs these days, you have to wonder just what Filmvault do with all those DVDs they buy from people.

Sell them onto libraries and corner shops I think. They have a rack in my local post office selling DVDs for a couple of quid.

As for fleabay. To date I have sold every DVD I have advertised and havent had a problem. Fair enough you only get a couple of quid tops usually just 99p mostly but its better than nothing. I don't have many left to replace with Blu-rays so I have been lucky I guess.

Last edited:
If you have one near CEX are very good.

most places pay peanuts these days, including cex (you can check online beforehand if you need to)

i give mine away to my sis now its a dead format to me

Where do people sell region 1 dvds? I've been thinking about getting rid of a couple of wire boxsets but the usual CEX avenue is non-starter and I simply haven't got time to mess around with ebay.

In your experience guys, what sort of prices should I expect from filmvault? I have around 800 dvd's to clear out here.

Used Music Magpie before. Would highly recommend them. You also get cashback too from Topcashback :thumbsup:.

In your experience guys, what sort of prices should I expect from filmvault? I have around 800 dvd's to clear out here.

You'll have to look at your 800 DVDs and ask yourself: Are they DVDs which loads of people are already likely to have - or are they DVDs which people might not have seen. No matter how good a movie or a DVD of the movie is, a popular movie is ten a penny and you shouldn't expect to be offered very much for it.

Some DVD's are not worth the effort of selling so I just give them away. But some are worth selling, usually because they are hard to find, OOP, or are different to the normal release - steelbook, slipcovers etc.

Ive found that selling a special edition DVD before the blu-ray is released (or before most people know its being released) works well too! :D

Or time your selling with the release of the sequels at the cinema. I currently have my PoTC on and have a number of watches.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom