Best place to pre-order an Xbox Series X?

leeuk321

Hi all, I was just wondering what the best place will be to pre-order an Xbox Series X (when they're available to pre-order)? I haven't ever pre-ordered a console before, and I haven't even bought one brand new in years, so I don't know which places are best? If anyone has had any experiences before with pre-ordering consoles? I just don't want to pre-order from somewhere, and after they drop the ball on the order hear people say "Oh, why did you order from there, they're renowned for messing orders up". Or, "Why didn't you simply order from such-and-such, everyone knows they're the best."

I was thinking that the best/simplest route would be to order from Microsoft direct, but I'm sure I heard someone advise against it, recommending ordering from a local bricks-and-mortar store such as Smyths to guarantee getting one; but, I can't find where I read that now. I've heard others say to stay clear of Currys because apparently a lot of people have had issues with their customer service.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Cha1ky

Amazon, Shopto, Simply Games, Game Collection. All fine. I'd prob go with Amazon myself for my PS5 if I don't get one from work.

ZicoUK

I'm going to go directly with Microsoft this time as I have a substantial amount of MS reward points that I will be cashing in.

I don't see how somebody can say don't go with Microsoft as you're not going to be guaranteed to get anything from any retailer or online. Things have gone wrong or have been messed up even when deposits have been taken and people have pre-ordered seconds after it's released or two weeks before shipping.

If you've got a preference then go for that company, if not, check them all as some might have deals/bundles and then go for what you can afford.

**Edit** Whatever you do though, if you're looking at a website that nobody has heard of or a deal that is too good to be true, it may be a scam. Don't make any payments by bank transfer either, if you have one use a credit card as you'll get the protection from the credit card company if things do go wrong.

Indiana Jones

Went with Amazon for my Xbox One and One X so likely to go that route again.

DAZ UK 74

Distinguished Member
Just order from somewhere you trust, every retailer will have let someone down at some point so take things said with a pinch of salt. I have orded 2 items before on pre-order from Microsoft and they both arrived on launch day.

@indy when did the console arrive - I mean did it arrive on launch day ? I have alway gone into a store to get any console on launch day so was wondered how amazon got on for you last time -most likely I will be using them this time around.

tonyk79

@indy when did the console arrive - I mean did it arrive on launch day ? I have alway gone into a store to get any console on launch day so was wondered how amazon got on for you last time -most likely I will be using them this time around.
I ordered my Xbox One X via preorder and it arrived on release day. I will be pre-ordering my Xbox Lockhart from them 😉

Indiana Jones

Amazon let me down for my Xbox One. Got it the following day. I'll be doubling up via Amazon and someone like Tesco.
Every retailer has let someone down at one time or another but I would still recommend Amazon as it’s very likely it will be delivered on release plus their after sales service is second to none.

Monty Nine

Seem to remember opening a Very account and getting 20% off the One X. So if you don’t have a Very account, wait to see before opening one.......

Indiana Jones

Seem to remember opening a Very account and getting 20% off the One X. So if you don’t have a Very account, wait to see before opening one.......
I got my PS4 Pro from Very as they were offering 10% off during release week and it arrived the next day but I know their CS can be terrible and for some the additional credit checks might not be desirable so was hesitant to recommend them.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
Every retailer has let someone down at one time or another but I would still recommend Amazon as it’s very likely it will be delivered on release plus their after sales service is second to none.
I agree. But I'm not leaving it to chance! Rather end up with two than zero!

gunner84

Distinguished Member
Not sure what console launch it was, possibly xbox x, but amazon completely screwed launch day up for a lot of people.

gunner84

Distinguished Member
I think it was the One. The Internet nearly broke. Iirc they knocked £x off the price.
If so it was the X launch as well, just remembered I had to order elsewhere. I may go direct MS this time.

I remember now, people who had had the x on preorder since preorders went live did not all get it launch day, and people putting in preorders a week or so before launch were.

Indiana Jones

Honestly don’t remember that but I do remember the many many many posts on the Thursday evening before release saying “oh my god they still haven’t dispatched what the hell are they playing at” then on mass all the despatch emails went out and on both occasions (One and X) I pre-ordered as soon as the listing went live and received both on release so just goes to show asking for recommendations of a retailer which leave you with both positive and negative stories.

Now the launch of the 360 I remember as I pre-ordered three of those from different retailers (Asda/Game/Amazon) and the only one that arrived on release was the one from Asda, the other two didn’t arrive until the Monday.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
Honestly don’t remember that but I do remember the many many many posts on the Thursday evening before release saying “oh my god they still haven’t dispatched what the hell are they playing at” then on mass all the despatch emails went out and on both occasions (One and X) I pre-ordered as soon as the listing went live and received both on release so just goes to show asking for recommendations of a retailer which leave you with both positive and negative stories.

Now the launch of the 360 I remember as I pre-ordered three of those from different retailers (Asda/Game/Amazon) and the only one that arrived on release was the one from Asda, the other two didn’t arrive until the Monday.

It was definitely the X @gunner84 although I was sure it was the One too.

Indiana Jones

Well with the way things are at present I can see a lot more “where the hell is my console” posts in November but personally having to wait an extra few days isn’t the end of the world, years ago I would likely have felt very different but now I try not to let things I have no control over stress me out.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
Well with the way things are at present I can see a lot more “where the hell is my console” posts in November but personally having to wait an extra few days isn’t the end of the world, years ago I would likely have felt very different but now I try not to let things I have no control over stress me out.
Given it's likely to be released on a school day anyway, I wouldn't be able to do it justice until the weekend so can relax a little.

tonyk79

Amazon are pretty good though with Customer Service. I bought a Sony Camera from them and it arrived missing a battery, they knocked £50 off and Sony sent the battery next day service.

leebroath

Distinguished Member
Any rumours when the Pre -Orders will start?

Maybe start of October do you think for shipping in November?

James Casey

Standard Member
I'm surprised they're not live already, but I guess at the moment they have to be careful about committing to contracts when they can't be sure what's going to be happening in the world come November.

Indiana Jones

Any rumours when the Pre -Orders will start?

Maybe start of October do you think for shipping in November?
I suspect the end of August they will officially reveal the Series S along with the price and release date for both (strong evidence for it being November 5/6th) and pre-orders will go active while the reveal is happening or shortly after.

leeuk321

Thanks for all the input, and sorry I'm late back to this. Great advice from everyone, I think I'll probably go with Microsoft direct or with Amazon. Can you pre-order from bricks-and-mortar stores and pay on arrival in store? Or do you always have to pay beforehand? It's just with some people saying that they might place multiple orders "to make sure", I'm wondering how they do that?

It's frustrating that the price or pre-order date hasn't been announced yet. I'm okay with waiting to pre-order, and I'm okay with waiting for it to arrive. What I'm fearing though is them doing a "big reveal" where the pre-orders become live just when they announce the prices, bundles, release date etc, and you've got to quickly make up your mind about it all.

I want to actually have a week or so to actually swill everything round my mouth a little, decide what I want to order from where, before pre-orders even become live.

rowedav

Distinguished Member
For the One X, I preordered a scorpio edition from my local Game and went to get it at their midnight launch. First time I’d actually done that but it was quite good tbh.

Not too sure this time around - probably Amazon but will also consider going to Game again. (Came in handy as my scorpio edition developed a fault and was able to exchange it for a new one with Game)