best place to park outside London and catch train in

SanPedro

Am going to a client near Euston. Will be coming down either M1 or M6.

Where's best place to park outside London and catch the tube into town.

The cheapest train ticket is £120 and I can be there and back for £45 in my Golf - but I don't fancy London, even with my Satnav.

Chris

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
Canons Park/Stanmore are just off M1 J4 and are £3.00 and £2.50 a day respectively. I could tell you where its free but then you'd be in competition with me and I'd have to kill you :p. The Jubilee goes to Finchley Rd & Baker St, or indeed Green Park where you can join for Euston.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Stanmore has always been a favourite for me. It's at the end of the line so makes it much easier for a dumb Northerner such as myself to catch the right train and get off at the right stop :D

BrianC

Bit of an odd ball suggestion but I'd say Nuneaton, its about a fiver to park all day and you have to be early to get a spot but its about 55 minutes on the train to Euston, faster than doing the last bit of the journey by car.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Bit of an odd ball suggestion but I'd say Nuneaton, its about a fiver to park all day and you have to be early to get a spot but its about 55 minutes on the train to Euston, faster than doing the last bit of the journey by car.

That sounds like a good idea :thumbsup: What time do you need to be there to get a parking space ?

SanPedro

Canons Park/Stanmore are just off M1 J4 and are £3.00 and £2.50 a day respectively. I could tell you where its free but then you'd be in competition with me and I'd have to kill you :p. The Jubilee goes to Finchley Rd & Baker St, or indeed Green Park where you can join for Euston.

Great - and closer than Watford as well?

I'm assuming the parking is £3.00 at the station.

How long to Euston you reckon?

BrianC

That sounds like a good idea :thumbsup: What time do you need to be there to get a parking space ?

It seems to fill up for the 8am train as I normally catch either the 6am or 7am train and its fine but full for the 9am or later train during the week. Don't park in the nearby Asda as they do clamp regularly and don't park in an unmarked spot in the train station car park as they issue parking tickets.

davisneil

if you pay me a small amount for my petrol and stuff you can park in my private car park in watford as i live in a large group of flats and car park is secure. i live just off the m1 exit so i can give u lift to and from watford junction (fast train to euston direct) or watford metropolitan line where the train takes an hour an you need to change at baker street.

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
Great - and closer than Watford as well?

I'm assuming the parking is £3.00 at the station.

How long to Euston you reckon?

35 mins although Davesneil's offer looks good I must say.

SanPedro

if you pay me a small amount for my petrol and stuff you can park in my private car park in watford as i live in a large group of flats and car park is secure. i live just off the m1 exit so i can give u lift to and from watford junction (fast train to euston direct) or watford metropolitan line where the train takes an hour an you need to change at baker street.

Very kind offer Neil.

I'll be down about 12.00 - 1.00pm, so I don't know if that'll be convenient - unless you're working from home.

davisneil

im on paternity leave at the moment.

therefore i can help. when are you coming down? as this is not rush hour, this opens up the possibilty of me driving you to london direct, but i woiuld need the congestion charge and petrol paid by you but im sure we could agree something. I drive to london regularly so provided we allow plenty of time, i could take you straight there. otherwise yes id be happy to give u a lift to the train staton.

D

Deleted member 27989

I would park in Luton Parkway! Which is easy access on the motorway as well Is about £4 for the day I think, a £21 day return with travelcard, only just on the road works of the M1 widening...And it is a highspeed train into Kings Cross, one short tube hop into Euston or with this nice weather you can just walk it....

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
check out Hull Trains. They are much cheaper than GNER and have a stop at Doncaster, Selby, Howden I think. Not sure where you are in W. Yorks but it may be an alternative. Failing that have a look at Stanmore as it is very easy to get to off the M1 and has a tube stop.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom