1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best place to buy Sony multiregion?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by paiger, May 21, 2002.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody got any recommendations of where to buy a multiregion DVPNS700? I have just been to Richer Sounds after seeing it on their site for £229 only to be told that they don't have any but could get me one for £269. The price in the window is £249 but of course, the display model is broken so I can't have that. They did recommend a nice Sherwood model though. What a bunch of cheapskate, lying scumbags. That's my one and only trip to RS out of the way.

Anyway, I have heard bad things about techtronics. Are they true? Has anybody had a good experience with any vendors?

Steve

2. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
  3. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny ... I live in Dublin and I had exactly the same experience at Christmas. I wanted to get a present for my sister and they had a special offer on a Philips multi-region DVD according to a very large notice in the window.

When I went in to purchase they told me that there were no such model available so I mentioned the rather large sign in the window I was told that the notice was incorrect and that there was really no such model ... of course when I mentioned that the notice was sitting on an actual DVD they changed their story to ... what what they really meant was that they did not have a working model and due to the confusion they were willing to offer me some unknown machine at a special price (of course it would cost a lot more for the multi-region version). I thought that I was dealing with incompetent sales staff but based on your story it must be standard practice.

4. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply. Looks good. Have you had experience of dealing with these lot? I'm guessing the region mod is one of them 'chipped remote' things as opposed to a soldering job.

5. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Yes I bough my Sony DVP-S735D from them 2 years ago got it next day.

Also had a Sony 920 tuner from them.

and a Sony RM1000 remote which was like a brick and they gladly took it back for a full refund after a week cause i didn't like it and they even refunded me the postage !!!

Superb.

6. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Info, they do it to get you in the door then try to fob you off with some bucket shop trash. This guy was telling me that Sherwood are far superior to Sony and at half the price. Now I know Sony are not the very best out there but they are least very good for the money. Sherwood.....hmmm, I'm sure they are fine for what they are but you get what you pay for more or less. Had he tried to sell me a Marantz or Toshiba instead I may have been more understanding.

7. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JSW, I see they actually chip the player but put a 12 month warranty on it anyway. I assume your 735 worked OK. I have a Region 2 735 myself but want SACD and have got a buyer lined up who's offering me over £200. Trouble is, I'll want the silver 700 and that's 5-7 days so I'll maybe ring them tomorrow and find out about the stock situation.

Cheers

S

8. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
  9. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I'd love a 900 but will stick to the 700. I'm saving for a Tag player at the mo and the only reason I'm changing is because I can do it more or less free of charge. I have thought of spending the extra but it just puts that Tag off a bit longer and I can probably get £200 back for the 700 in a few months on ebay. I realise I am getting rid of a QS player and going non QS and am prepared to put up with the consequences for a while. I don't recon it'll be that great a difference ayway and the 700 has some good reviews.

S

10. dazzling

dazzling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a look, doesn't say if that player is RCE compatible or not.

12. dazzling

dazzling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I asked and they confirmed before i bought my Tosh 510E.

13. Jonah

Jonah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased a silver multi region from dvdplayers.co.uk
    Expecting it at the end of the week. Will let you know how I get on. By the way, it cost me £214.99 and free delivery.

14. siluro

siluro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    not sure on stock or rce but webelectricals.co.uk are doing the sony for 199quid delivered, just oredered mine so heres to hoping

webelectricals

cheers
    lee

15. dazzling

dazzling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Black is £199 quid, Silver is £224.99 at Webelectricals

I remember seeing this player at £299.99 only a few months back!!!!

16. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got my Sony 7700 from Techtronics. I found them to be very helpful. The player was great and it played everything I put in it including RCE titles. After sales service was good, they tracked down my serial number for me after the 7700 was stolen and gave me advice on a suitable replacement even though my insurance company wouldn't be buying from them.

17. Jonah

Jonah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well folks, what can I say?
    Bought my DVPNS700 on Monday night from DVDplayers.co.uk and it duly arrived this morning at 11.00am.
    Although I've never had a DVD player before to compare against, I must say it is very impressive and very easy to use with loads of features thrown in. If anyone had any doubts about buying one of these DVD players, then I would thoroughly recommend buting one now especially as you can get them for between £150 - £250 depending on where you buy it from.
    Must dash, got a couple of films to watch.

Jonah.