Best place to buy SACD's

mobily

Novice Member
Hello all,

I have the ability to play SACD's now but finding a decent and reliably fast online retailer of these cd's is like gold dust. I did buy an SACD off dvdboxoffice.com (I think) about 3 months ago and apparently it still hasn't come into stock. So, needless to say I shan't be using them again.

Why don't the high street shops make more of SACD? The last time I asked about the in Virgin they thought I'd gone loopy, never heard of the format!

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated,

James :)

Floodedstatue

Novice Member
SACD is still a very small, slowly-growing format. It has not really taken off yet.

Best places to buy are play.com - the Music section has a designated SACD section, and they are very reliable!

CDUniverse also seem to have a good selection and very cheap (!), but I have not used them and they are based in America so could take a week+ to arrive.

F

fufna

Have to second play.com, I've used them many a time for SACD and they always (excuse the pun) deliver:cool:

alexs2

All of the above are useful sources,especially MVC for a high street outlet,and you may want to try www.vivante.co.uk for a full listing of what's available on DVD-A and SACD,although their prices are not always the best.

texasboy

Banned
Prices may not be the cheapest around but Amazon.co.uk have the best part of 400-450 titles listed.

You need to spend over £25.00 over you will get charged p&p though.

I've bought a few titles from them and their service is great.
Play are also very good, but they do not have as much choice.

Turlough

http://www.dvd4music.com/

Prices not exactly jaw-dropping however service is OK and they do have a very sensible text file showing all the SACD and DVD-A available (just a pity it isn't sortable on-line)

tony kop77

Dvd box office seem the best to me as they have big selcetion including Oasis and other top bands.

sticker

Standard Member

Miyazaki

Novice Member
Frankly, i'm suprised that it's lasted this long!

DVD-A will kill it off eventually though.

PaulBoy

Another vote for dvdpacific.com - cheap as chips for sacd & dvd-a
Use their cheapest "surface mail" option (about a quid!) as they are based in Miami so there aint much surface for the post to travel (!) Got my last package in 7days ... HTH ... Paul ;)

Pooon

Distinguished Member
Games Guru - i don't think your correct there mate. SACD will be the format that lasts longer, no doubt this has been debated elsewhere at some point. DVD-A in my personal experience is clumsy to operate (to much like a dvd-v and not enough like a CD) and the surround mix on the disc i have (REM) is not much cop, but fine in stereo

But as for buying SACD, i have used dvdboxoffice serveral times for DVD's and once for SACD and have had no problems, even though their delivery seems to take a few days longer than other canadian sites, so you might want to give them anoter try as they have a good selection. But as stated above Play are certainly a good place to pick them up.

You can also now buy them in 'large'(whatever that means) HMV high street stores.

Floodedstatue

Novice Member
I'm quite dissappointed with SACD so far. I really thought it would pick up pace after DSOTM, but there has been hardly anything since! Just take a look in the play.com SACD 'coming soon' section. Nothing.

I have a couple of really good ones (DSOTM as mentioned, Beck - Sea Change and Deep Purple - Machine Head) all of which are brilliant, but other than that there are no other SACDs that interest me.

I would have thought SACD would be better than DVD-Audio for the sheer 'Hybrid' fact, not necessarily the sound quality which, from what I have heard, is mostly better in DVD-Audio. But the SACD makers need to bring some more bands and albums onto the bandwagon for it to really take off. It is a format with so much potential.