• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Best place to buy my Euros ?

internetuser

I normally just order them from Travelex and pick them up at the airport.

Mainly as I am lazy, but is there better rates around ? Since I am actually half prepared for this holiday.

johntheexpat

Distinguished Member
A friend of mine on Tyneside uses a firm whose name I don't know but their main business is pawnbroker/cheque casher/gold dealer. She says they offer very competitive rates, a couple of centimes per £ better than the Post Office.
Not a lot of help, but the general idea is thinking outside the box for your money.

Or you could say to yourself, I got a terrible exchange rate, so to make up for the lack of Euros, I'm not going to drink anything. That should save a few quid. :smashin:

FZR400RRSP

Banned
I've yet to come across an occasion where you can't get better rates in the country you're going to.
I've seen me gain 10%+ just by waiting and doing it there.

Uridium

Distinguished Member
Just use the cash point at the destination airport ;)

Yeah i know you don't get the best rate/bank charges etc.. and all but to be honest the last thing i can ever be doing with is faffing around sorting out travel money for the sake of a couple of quid :rolleyes:

paul1967

where are you going when i,m in spain I always get the best rates by at least 4-5c per euro eg over here 1.10 over there 1.14.

internetuser

Reson for getting it before hand is the lass I am going with is paranoid her card will get stopped over there. Which happened when she was in the far east last year and caused her loads of hassle...

I am not fussed about how I get cash but she is flapping

Westindieman

I've yet to come across an occasion where you can't get better rates in the country you're going to.
I've seen me gain 10%+ just by waiting and doing it there.

From experience you are correct with that, but dont do it at your hotel.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Reson for getting it before hand is the lass I am going with is paranoid her card will get stopped over there.

So why not just withdraw the cash here, then change it over there?
That's what I do.
I rarely use cards abroad.
Last time I was in Prague, best rate I could get here was 28 CZK to the £.
In Prague, every exchange place was offering a minimum of 32 CZK to the £.
I was changing approx £700, so I was 2800 crowns better off by waiting.
2800 CZK is basically taxis+good meal+beer for a night.
So a 'free' night out gained.

Last edited:

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Going to Italy\France and Spain on the 28th for a week. Just wondering where the best places to by Euros are? I went into Tesco's last night and was told E200 was £140, and £200 was E240.

We don't really have access to any other places (all are quite a drive away and I don't work close to any that I know of), so just wondering where it is best to get them from?

D

Deleted member 27989

There are lots of place who will deliver to the comfort of your home. Shouldn't be an issue.

Last time for me it was cheapest to use American Express, got some quidco cashback on it as well. I must admit I don't normally take cash out with me, just use my debit card to get it abroad. But the villa owner preferred cash, so I brought the €2500 with me.

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
There are lots of place who will deliver to the comfort of your home. Shouldn't be an issue.

Last time for me it was cheapest to use American Express, got some quidco cashback on it as well. I must admit I don't normally take cash out with me, just use my debit card to get it abroad. But the villa owner preferred cash, so I brought the €2500 with me.

Thanks, didn't know there were services like this!

We want the cash with us since when we go out we spend alot of time in back street cafes and the street markets etc and not many of them accept cards so cash is just easier in these cases.

D

Deleted member 27989

Same here, I hardly ever use cards in the shops/restaurants for a variety of reasons...But I've never been to a place where there aren't ATM's around to get enough out for local spending.

For me personally I don't like having to much cash on my person, €200 at the time tends to be enough...And then go and top it up again :)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom