1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best place to buy for guarantee/warranty?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Grand Dizzy, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Before anyone moans, I did a search for this subject, but couldn't find anything.

I'm ordering a plasma (Hitachi 42PD5200 or 300) and not sure which store to use.

John Lewis have a 5 year guarantee, which was the best I could find, but is that as good as a warranty? Is there anywhere else with a good guarantee? John Lewis' site also says they can't promise delivery by Christmas, which I really need! (Obviously!)

2. Niraj

Niraj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The John Lewis guarantee/warranty is about as good as you'll get. As far as I know, it covers every eventuality other than accidental damage to the TV (that can be covered by your home contents policy).

Don't think any other place offers as comprehensive a warranty included in the price.

Niraj

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Can add warranty from TADL or similar

4. stuartsjg

stuartsjg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need to look and see what can go wrong with Plasma or LCD... Screen burning and pixels fading.

Any "Free" warranty unless otherwise stated is only an equivalent of a manufacturers year of 2 years.

This covers for breakdown due to manufacturing defect, eg dry joint.
    How can some people afford to supply a free one whist others charge £550 or so for 5 years?
    Simple... other than the screen there’s not much else that can go wrong. If the panel loses pixels or burns its wear and tare - not a manufacturing fault. This wear and tare is due to the design of the screen.

The best one is one you pay for, and that keeps going if you make any form of clam. The only ones that do this (high st shops) is Comet and JL. JL have one you pay for that WILL cover wear and tear. Comet also does wear and tare - ie. dead pixels, screen burn, projection lamps. The dixons group ones don’t do either of these and also ends upon claiming but they kindly give you: "If your product is replaced your Coverplan ends and you will receive vouchers for the remaining value to use when you next buy Coverplan"

For Dixons info go to: www.currys.co.uk > Services > Coverplan
    For Comet info go to: http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/protection.htm#accident_breakdown
    For JL: cant find on web – in store leaflet is the best

The comet and JL warranty’s are the best, with JL you have to pay extra. Not sure about the ones from manufacturers – I think they will generally cover wear and tare things too.

Best advice: Spend as much time doing research into warranty etc. as you would choosing the screen. Uninformed decisions will mean you lose out.

5. jrenshaw

jrenshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    currently sharp offer 3 years warranty on most of their lcd screens. You just need to download the form of their website and send your receipt :)

6. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wow, Stuarts, what an excellent reply. Thanks, that's extremey useful. (You sure know your warranties.) Thanks everyone else, too.

7. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends also on the quality of your local retailer, some actually service the products themselves which in itself is a service worth paying for, Your best way of buying a plasma is to get a price for the entire package from all your various dealers then look at the price compared to the quality of aftercare.
    Eg. Internet - No cover, but cheap
    JL - 5 yrs, but standard manufacturers
    Comet,currys etc.. - Extra charge, extra service, limited resources.
    Local dealer - Extra charge, more expensive, friendly service, trained engineers (this list varies but can be very long).

8. jshaw_82

jshaw_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    stuartsjg. you dont know what you are talking about. the comet cover does not cover for screen burn. screen burn happens when a person misuses their tv and leaves a static image on the screen for an extended period of time. this is mentioned in all manuals and is classed as misuse.
    it would be foolish to assume you could misuse a product and then claim a repair.
    also, for your information, there are many things that can go wrong with a plasma or lcd tv apart from the screen and pixels are usually dead on production, not, as you infer, after usage (i am not even sure it is possible to produce a pixel perfect pdp (remeber, on a screen with a resolution of 1366 x 768, there are 3147264 'gas chambers', one each for red, green and blue for each pixel)). psu's, pcb's and speakers are high on the list of parts that malfunction and screens are very far down it. since a plasma's cost is nearly all in the pdp and transport/marketing, the screens intrinsically have to be very reliable.

9. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Good reply Jshaw.

It is also foolish to say JL's warranty is the most comprehensive. So much so that they chose to create an exclusion pamphlet explaining what is specifically excluded on Plasma and LCD's. Screen burn and dead pixels are not covered....fat chance.

10. stuartsjg

stuartsjg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jshaw.

Unfortunately it can depend on who you speak to and how much you shout at them. The more you shout, the less you get (or used to from me).
    Also the people who say im never "shopping here again - uve lost my business" My answer was that we dont want your busines if think shouting resolves things (it does sometimes just to shut you up, customer gets arrogant and then thinks he/she is some god of complaining)

When i worked there i did hand out several plasma and LCD replacements. Most plasma was screen burn caused by static Logos. The screens have built in functions which move the picture a pixel or so each hour but even over the course of a year this can still burn in.

When ever a customer had a plasma checked and was found to be burnt, the engineer would check that the image shift function was enabled (if present) if enabled yet the screen was still burnt, this was seen as a fault and the screen written off to be replaced with one of same model or the original purchase price towards a new unit.

If the image shift function was not present on the screen then it would depend on the type of burn. if it was a playstation etc. then a claim may not happen but it would for a logo, clock etc.

I am well aware of how many pixels there are. and i am also aware in instringent detail how they work as i was a engineer for a short time repairing and developing the PCB's. Normally "screen faults" were caused by faulty line drivers which blew should the screen be pressed on which shorted the chambers and over time damaged the IC's.

I am now a power engineer for a fuel cell power company in the UK.

Working with these i can also see that the Consumer electronics warranty prices are reasonable.

Typical extended warranty for what i work with are 2 years add 20% purchase cost, 5 years add 40% purchase cost. Look at the cover for say a server from HP or IBM, it can be another 30% for 2 years.

This can be the same for a Plasma or LCD, or even a kettle or the freeview box i got in comet the other day, (£70 box add £20 3 year instant replacement - good deal and took it.)

I dont see which investigating or people complaining about the cost of these extended warrantys.

11. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Some goods are intrinsically very reliable or low cost to replace so extended warranty is a bad buy.
    Jury is out on plasma displays so it is a harder decision if you can't afford replacement or high repair costs.
    If you can afford to take the risk you can do well without a warranty and buying online.
    JL is best retailer warranty. Fujitsu is best manufacturer warranty.
    Buying independent warranties is a minefield and terms need checking carefully.
    An extra consideration with plasmas is their lack of or low second hand value so if you are unlucky a repair can be as high as the value of the display on the second hand market.
    Also the amount you paid for the warranty could be a large proportion of the cost of a new replacement due to price falls in the meantime.
    I prefer to buy online or from a member of this board and then cross my fingers.I have bought 3 displays in past three years for different purposes and only one has so far had a fault which was dealt with within manufacturers warranty.
    The insurance premiums not paid and the discounts obtained by avoiding the high street would now get me a free replacement if one of them failed.

12. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    You were obviously very generous ! No manufacturer warrants against screen burn, it also specifically says so in almost all instruction booklets and JL go as far to warn you that it is excluded from their warranty.

Whether it's a logo, clock or Games console that has caused it. It would be incredibly inconsistent to categorise screen burn and define if improper use has caused it. It's warned by the manufacturers and it's due to static images.

13. ChatwithJacqs

ChatwithJacqs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to jump into someones post......have decided on panasonic T37PV500WAL (with free dvd recorder) and John Lewis only has the edge because of the 5 year guarentee.....I can get it £1899 on internet (with 1 year) or £1920 from JL (with 5 year)

Is the 5 year worth it....as in what isn't covered that could go wrong...what am i looking for in warranty covered....thanks

Jx

14. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Go to the shop and ask what is covered. They will provide you with details of what is included and that is the best way to make up your mind. A little better than some of the hot air I have seen in this thread. What is put in writing should be legally binding. What has been said in this thread isn't.

15. ChatwithJacqs

ChatwithJacqs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if i'm being stupid but what's TADL or simelar. :lesson:

Am complete novice with electricals.

cheers

jx