Best place to buy CX65 OLED for TV Warranty regarding burn-in etc?

nemesis429

As per title where’s the best place to purchase an LG CX65 TV with regards to warranty (panel uniform unity, burn-in etc)?

Took me 3 TVs before I decided on my current Panasonic TV many years ago.

Thanks in advance.

mikej

Are you in the UK ? Unfortunately, 'burn in' tends to be classed as abuse and so isn't covered on normal TV warranties in the UK. Some people have been successful in getting their screens replaced under warranty despite this, but it seems very hit and miss and can't be guaranteed. Have a look through the various threads on the subject in the OLED forum.

As far as I know, John Lewis are the only TV retailer who provide a policy that specifically covers 'burn in'. As this isn't covered in their standard (free) 5 year warranty, you have to buy a separate accidental damage insurance policy, which costs £140 and is provided by Domestic & General. This policy was only introduced earlier this year, so you won't find anyone who has claimed for burn-in yet I suspect.

johnr2110

The fact you can get insurance for screen burn means it's less of an issue than it was two all three years ago. Let's be honest no insurance company is going to insure against something that they will have to keep paying out on.

nemesis429

Yeah I live in the U.K. should have mentioned it before hand.

But if I spend £2,500 on a TV and burn in has naturally been caused by watching TV how can a seller not repair/fix the TV, this is what I’m worried about spending such a large amount on.

Unless as you said I do purchase from John Lewis and get that insurance which does sound better.

mikej

But if I spend £2,500 on a TV and burn in has naturally been caused by watching TV how can a seller not repair/fix the TV, this is what I’m worried about spending such a large amount on.
I agree, but it's not that simple. Burn-in essentially seems to be the pixels 'wearing out' over time, so it will be hard to differentiate between (for example) someone with the GMB logo burnt into the screen who watched it for 25 minutes a day, 5 days a week for two years (which could be considered normal use) and leaving it paused with the logo on the screen for 200 hours straight (which would be against the manufacturer's recommendations and therefore considered abuse). The worst-case scenario is that a retailer or manufacturer could potentially use the latter 'abuse' scenario as an excuse to reject a claim and then you'll have a fight on your hands.

I'm not defending this BTW - it's just the way it is, but that is just a worst-case scenario. Some people have been able to get panels replaced by sympathetic retailers who are willing to look after their customers. I guess you just have to do your research and consider your viewing habits. It's believed that recent generations of OLEDs appear to be more resistant than earlier models due to improvements and preventative measures put in place in recent years but only time will tell whether they were sufficient. For many, spending the extra £140 will be a no-brainer for the peace of mind it gives, while others may feel that burn-in isn't a big issue or their viewing habits make them a much lower risk and therefore can't justify the extra expense.

nemesis429

I agree, but it's not that simple. Burn-in essentially seems to be the pixels 'wearing out' over time, so it will be hard to differentiate between (for example) someone with the GMB logo burnt into the screen who watched it for 25 minutes a day, 5 days a week for two years (which could be considered normal use) and leaving it paused with the logo on the screen for 200 hours straight (which would be against the manufacturer's recommendations and therefore considered abuse). The worst-case scenario is that a retailer or manufacturer could potentially use the latter 'abuse' scenario as an excuse to reject a claim and then you'll have a fight on your hands.

I'm not defending this BTW - it's just the way it is, but that is just a worst-case scenario. Some people have been able to get panels replaced by sympathetic retailers who are willing to look after their customers. I guess you just have to do your research and consider your viewing habits. It's believed that recent generations of OLEDs appear to be more resistant than earlier models due to improvements and preventative measures put in place in recent years but only time will tell whether they were sufficient. For many, spending the extra £140 will be a no-brainer for the peace of mind it gives, while others may feel that burn-in isn't a big issue or their viewing habits make them a much lower risk and therefore can't justify the extra expense.
Yeah I reckon I will go with JL and cough up that extra £140 will help in the long run if there are ever any issues, thanks for your help.

mikej

If you can hang on until Black Friday (November), the discount you'll get compared with buying today should more than cover the cost of the extra policy

nemesis429

If you can hang on until Black Friday (November), the discount you'll get compared with buying today should more than cover the cost of the extra policy
Sounds like a good idea.

Does anyone have the measurements from the center of the screw holes to the top of the TV (so I can mount my TV bracket to the wall and still use old TV till Nov).

mikej

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom