Best place to buy B&W VM1s ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by BigAde, Dec 24, 2002.

1. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    At long last it's time to ditch the big Paradigm CC-150 centre speaker perched on top of the telly 'like a dalek' for a wall mountable speaker. Have talked about it for long enough, so about time I put my money where my mouth is...

Have decided to go for the B&W VM1. Not because I think it's particularly amazing, just don't think there's much choice in the wall-mountable centre speaker market. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this count :)

So, anyone got any idea where the best deal is for these things?

Cheers
    Ade

2. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    I've just set-up a 5.1 VM1 system in my house - 5 VM1's and a REL Q150E. I was running 601S3/LCR60S3/VM1's before, but with a baby on the way needed to clear some space and make the set-up more family friendly.

The VM1's are very good - better, IMHO, than then KEF eggs. I've said it before, but I don't know why more magazines haven't demo'd them. Having said that, 5 VM1's and a Q150E are £1125, so should sound pretty decent. As a 5.1 package they really do hit the spot, as a 2-channel stereo set-up (with the Q150 taking care of the bass), they are surprsingly decent - excellent soundstage, great imaging, and very at home with subtle music.

As far as the centre channel goes, the VM1 isn't as good as the LCR60 - but then you could never expect it to be. As a slight compromise, but one that allows a decent centre channel to be wall-mounted, it's excellent. It's a very discreet and good-looking solution, and one that blows any other <£1000 sub-sat system out of the water - IMO.

Discounts are not easy to come by with B&W - but Audio T are doing 10% off for a purchase over £100. Most other dealers will match this.

:)

3. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Nice one. Thanks for that.

I don't really want to change the Paradigm if I'm honest, it's a great little speaker. But, I'm being forced to make the change by the missus (long story). :rolleyes: My concern is that acoustically, changing the centre for the VM1 will be effectively a downgrade.

Anyway, that aside, I'll try and nip along to Audio T as you suggest sometime after Christmas to get a demo.

Cheers
    Ade

4. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Go to your nearest SuperFi. You *should* be able to get at least 15% off B&W speakers there. Quite possibly more if you buy along with something else.

I recently bought a pair of 600 s3's for £160 (list price is £200).

MuFu.

5. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Sorry for the delay...just woken from a post-Christmas drunken haze... what day is it anyway?

Thanks for the advice MuFu, will check out SuperFi too.

Cheers
    Ade