Best place to buy a new iMac?

pault2007

Prominent Member
Reaction score
After almost 4 years of owning my mid-2007 20" iMac, I've discovered that it's falling behind with game specs now and I'm thinking about replacing it with a new 21.5" iMac (also for the 1080p on Blu-Ray's).

Where would you say is the best place to buy a new iMac these days? The Apple Store (also the refurbished section) would be my first port of call but I'm also aware that there's some good resellers around/other high street stores.

I understand that I won't get much off of a new one from the Apple Store.

Thanks.

Last edited:
The size of my computer desk will not allow for a 27" model, as I only have an inch or two either side of my screen.

Thought I'd mention that no Mac can natively play a Blu-ray disc. You'd need to rip the disc to your hard drive from an external BD drive and use something like VLC to view it.

Apple refuse to pay the licensing required for Blu-ray and non of their current Macs have the required hardware modification on the Video card that enables Blu-rays to be played. Apple's video cards are specifically manufactured for them without the inclusion of Blu-ray support.

Sorry for not answer your question as posted, but you did also say:

(also for the 1080p on Blu-Ray's)

Just a quickie from me, i bought my iPad last week from John Lewis, 2 years warranty on evreything, maybe worth a look if its a stock item your after (and have a store nearby), they also do price match.

Thought I'd mention that no Mac can natively play a Blu-ray disc. You'd need to rip the disc to your hard drive from an external BD drive and use something like VLC to view it.

Sorry - I meant play them in Windows with something like PowerDVD or WinDVD.

I've also got an Xbox HD-DVD drive I could hook up to the iMac in Windows to get 1080p on the HD-DVDs (think I've got WinDVD 9 Plus Blu-Ray somewhere).

I've got my eye on the Diablo 3 game that's coming out soon and I think that would struggle to play on my current iMac.

Last edited:
True, but how about 0% financing with 10 payments?

Just been reading up on it - nice.

I may be tempted to go for the higher-spec model now. :D

i've been thinking about the 1GB Radeon HD 6770M in the £1850 15" MacBook Pro and the 512MB version in the £1250 21.5" iMac.

Would the extra 512MB in the MBP give me better graphics performance in games?

Yes Paul it would...I went for the 15" Macbook Pro with the 1Gb and it plays Skyrim spot on and every other title I've tried on it all in High settings....only one I've tried that's struggling is Battlefield 3 on High Settings.

As for wheres best to buy, my vote goes to Currys/PC World now! Theres one in my town and they have had new Apple Stands installed up and down the country and now have a proper Apple guy in each store.....so no need to drive 40 miles to my nearest apple store for some good help and advice! As you all know Mac prices don't really fluctuate much so having a local store that offers good after sales is big plus from me!

I got a 21.5" iMac in PC World yesterday.

Quidco were doing a £100 cash back on MacBooks and iMacs.

Not a big fan of Currys or PC World, but you can't argue with £100 off.

OK, I've got through to the 0% finance application page (on the Apple site) but I'm having trouble with the 'time spent at current address' box, as I came from my birth parents to live at my current address around the age of 18 months.

I can't remember and don't have any record of the actual date (mum, who later adopted me, doesn't either).

As I was born in January 1980, could I just guess at July 1981 or would they need the exact date?

Also, would they really need my address up to 18 months old (only know the town)?

Thanks.

Last edited:
My 0% finance application has just been accepted - just have to send off the documentation now.

I've configured the higher price 21.5" iMac with a 2TB hard drive and AppleCare.

I felt the i7 processor would be over-kill for just my occasional gaming use (and the iMac was expensive enough as it is) and I wasn't going to pay Apple's price for 8GB of RAM when I can get a Crucial kit for £30 at Amazon.

I knew if I didn't upgrade the hard drive there and then, it'd mean sending it into this upgrade company near me in a few months time and possibly paying more than the £120 extra. Also, you can never have too much hard drive space.

Last edited:
Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Nope. £989...

Actually, it *was*. I caught a glimpse of the unbelievable price before it went back up. Like to hear from those who successfully got their purchase at the incredible (and hopefully not fraudulent) price.

Just teasing. I would be very suspect at that price tbh, or assume they won't get sent as they normally don't on price mistakes.

Hi
Get all my stuff from the Apple store, even though they don't like to advertise it they do price match!

I just search on the internet whilst in their store and then present to the staff the best price I have found and they price match. ;) They have matched Amazon prices without any problems.

Chris S

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom