1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best place to buy a DAC

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by mobily, Sep 20, 2005.

1. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey all,

Does anyone know the best place to get hold of a DAC between £50-£100? I have pretty much decided to plunge for stereo seperates and will probably get a cheapish CDP and couple it with a DAC.

2. nirmal

nirmal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    With a budget in that range, you would probably be better off with the inbuilt DAC in any half decent CD player. You might pick up a really old DAC or a cheap as chips one within your budget, but jitter would be an important issue with these.

Cheers,
    Nirmal :)

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
  4. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What does blackgates in the output stage mean?

I note from the pictures that the dac only has the facility to connect one unit. I would also like to connect a DAB radio to the setup. Is it worh connecting a Telewest box for example to a DAC or just straight to the amp?

Sorry for simple questions I just don't know much about the subject area. :thumbsup:

5. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Blackgates are the capacitors in the electrical circuit. They are expensive. However in my experience they are not the best choice to have in a signal path.
    Don't get me wrong the DAC will still sound superb. When I built them I built them to replace a CHORD DAC 64 with a 'cost no object attitude'.
    I would think you would connect the DAB radio directly to the amp. I doubt you'd gain that much by feeding the signal through a DAC due to the amount of compression used. I've never tried one so I can't say for sure.
    I used to run my freeview box through the DAC's in my AV AMP with optical cable. Don't know whether you could do the same.
    This is someone who's made a Tube NOSDAC. Be very interested to hear what it sounds like. He uses oil capacitors in the output stage which would be better than the Blackgates. Having never really delved into valve systems I can't really advice.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TDA1543-Non-O...ryZ27805QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem