1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best place/price for Panasonic/Tosh (sorry dull post, I know)

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by mike.hutch, Mar 6, 2003.

1. mike.hutch

mike.hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    OK,

I'm on the verge of getting one of these screens, I'm not really fussed if it's the Panasonic or the Toshiba, although I would pay upto £100 more for the black Panasonic (the Tosh doesn't come in black does it?)

So, where to buy? Richer Sound have the Toshiba at £2999, but are out of stock online, they may have one in the local store though. Techtronics have the black Panasonic at £3099 in stock, BUT, it's Techtronics, I've never had a problem with them, but I've read about lots that did.

So, is there anywhere else that has either of these screens in stock at around the same price, or cheaper even?

Sorry if this is a bit of a boring post, but knowing my luck, I'll order from somewhere, and they will happily take my money, but suddenly be out of stock, and then someone will say 'oh you could have got that much cheaper here, and they are in stock'

Thanks all.

:) :) :)

2. lab

lab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. mike.hutch

mike.hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks, that certainly looks like a good deal, and as you say it comes with loads of extras, but unfortunately I don't need them! I've already got everything I need (including a wall mount bracket) for my setup, apart from the screen.

A suppose I could buy it and sell all the bit I don't need, would probably work out quite a bargain, but I don't really need the hassle.

:)

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,030
    Lab

Seeing as Panasonic Consumer UK dont actually supply or support the HD 1024x768 display I'd want to know a bit more about this screen before I shelled out £3.5K on it.

The TH-42PHD5BX (Charcoal) costs more than this trade - and that's without a pedestal and certainly without a DVD recorder, TV Tuner (I wonder how you hook that into this display seeing as the spec says its also go a full set of inputs on the display; a tad tricky with the Panasonic tuner I fear!) and all the other bits.

Buyer beware as they say!

Mixmanx

Panasonic Business Systems UK has plenty of the TH-42PWD5BX (Charcoal) in stock - but as they are official UK spec models and not sold to the trade in the quantities some other retailers are buying in Euro models at they are nearer £3.2K.

Best regards

Joe

5. goliath23

goliath23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds a little "too good to be true" for me, don't know if they would really give away all of that - let's have a closer look:

- Panny 5 High Definition (!) with DVI-Card
    - Panny Tuner TU-PT600
    - Panny Harddisk DVD-Recorder (!)
    - Surround speakers (although they look like the common Panny Plasma speakers)
    - Pedestal stand
    - Adjustable wall mount

All "brand new" - for a price of £ 3600?
    :eek:

I don't know exactly about the prices in the UK, but here (in Switzerland) that would be around £ 6000...

6. mike.hutch

mike.hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sh*t! didn't notice that it was the HD model ! :eek:

Gotta be a bit dodgy.

EDIT: mind you the auctions still got 5 days to go, so it may well still go for a lot more. I've emailed him asking for a direct buy price for just the screen, just out of interest really.

7. goliath23

goliath23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @ mixmanx:
    That's what I tried to say:

"[...]don't know if they would really give away all of that [...] All "brand new" - for a price of £ 3600"

In the end it's either gonna cost about the same as in a shop or if the highest bid remains at £ 3600, the buyer willl probably never get the stuff...

After all I've heard and experienced online, I don't believe in that kind of luck anymore:nono:

8. wisgb

wisgb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. lab

lab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, perhaps I should have said that I am not associated with the seller at all so not in a position to answer queries.
    As with all things on ebay it is always a case of buyer beware.I did notice one of these for sale last week which reached 3400 and supposedly sold but so far this has not showed up in the sellers ratings as a negative or positive.
    Joe Fernand
    I would not have expected Panasonic consumer group to support this product as surely it is a commercial model and as it is for sale elsewhere i.e. Nexnix, for a great deal more money mind, it surely must be supported by Panasonic commercial?
    personally I never buy anything off ebay without contacting the seller first,perhaps suggesting a trip to see the actual unit, if there is no answer forthcoming then I dont bid.
    But as with all things in life, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is!

10. mike.hutch

mike.hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    AV-Sales.com I bought my projector from them, and had terrible trouble getting them to sort it out when it went wrong. And then when I wanted a refund they insisted there was nothing wrong with it and sent it back, of course it worked ok then, but they insisted they had done nothing to it. Anyway I don't really want to buy anything else from them.

:)

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,030
    Hello Lab

Just to clarify that Panasonic Business Systems UK do supply the TH-42PHD5BX (Charcoal) and that Panasonic Consumer UK dont supply the TH-42PHW5B* (Silver) - so how this product as advertised on eBay can be 'official' UK stock I dont know!

As you say best to be wary of 'too good to be true' offers on-line.

Best regards

Joe

*This model is available in other markets!

12. lab

lab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just an update, I sent an email to the seller asking which other models they had,they`re reply was that they can get virtually anything and that I was welcome to view this model and take it with me if I made a firm offer....Don`t really know what to make of it now.
    Also just noticed that they will use an escrow service which should make it safer.

13. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0