1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best place for this forum

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Stuart Wright, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,657
    Do you think the General Hardware category is the best place for this forum?
    Since TAG cover DVD players, Amps and Processors, it seems inappropriate to put the forum in the Audio or Video only categories.
    Your thoughts invited.

2. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Cool.

3. jpredgrave

jpredgrave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right here looks good to me, home sweet home......:smoke:

4. Respectamonkeee

Respectamonkeee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok being a newish Tag owner is it really worth the £1500 for the dual processor upgrade???

my a32r is fully kitted out apart from the DP option and sounds pretty dam fine...

thoughts please.....as i have the cash but not for long....

Velodnye DD is nearly here

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If it is the intention to appear pro tag, then a forum to itself as it currently sits is probably best, but im guessing that isnt actually the idea. I would say that gen hardware is a little too much of a backwater..... tag is primarily amps so if it were my choice, i would place the forum as a subforum to amps with a link to it placed in dvd players..... if that makes sense.

ad

6. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,185
    Buns,
    You mean a sub forum in Amplifiers and Processors, with a link in DVD Players area? If so good idea.

7. LostInUK

LostInUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Respectamonkeee,

I think the DP upgrade is the best of all of them. TMREQ is worth all that money. You may need sometime to setup the equalisation for all the speakers but the result is worth it.
    Considering you are going to get a DD (I have a Paradigm Servo 15), there is nothing better to help you to integrate it in your system, taking full advantage of its capabilities. Also, the upgraded bass management helps to integrate each pair of speaker with the sub more efficiently. This is my oppinion. I got the DP recently and I am very happy.
    I have not finished to set it up (no much free time....) but I will very soon.

Best

8. Respectamonkeee

Respectamonkeee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Pedro..

Have the cash to upgrade the tag or go for a DD.....feeling is ATM to get the DP and look for a HGS 18/15 that is used...

must be a few peps waiting for aDD-18 to land and will be needing to sell ;)

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yup..... thats what i mean

ad

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Seems a good idea,buns.....although here works well also...no probs with either.

11. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    once people know it is here they will use it, why not put a post at the top of all the forums.

Or better yet, set up a manufacturer specific forum area, as I am sure the Linn/Meridian/Lex/Krell/Arcam crowds will complain that TMA gets preferential treatment!!

12. Tantalus

Tantalus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    From Steve.EX's response re. Height Channel on the link to this new TAG forum:

"As i understand it, it is purpose designed matrix that is derived from the front center and surround back channels, when thinking about it, it may not be as simple as it sounds (of course i do not know this for a fact), there are obviously panning and "breaking" down to height channels to consider aong with time alignment, bass management, spl and TMREQ to take into consideration.
    It is purpose designed for DD-EX, DTS-ES matrix and discete soundtracks and nicely enough can't be "officially" intertwined with THX2 processing as THX2 requires 2 surround backs and the height channel (when activated) utilises one of the surround back channels."

Can't help wondering Steve is they should be allowing another output to be used (or a mod) for THX2 AND a height channel. I mean what are you going to do - swap leads around every time you fancy THX2? Seems to be too many features and not enough outputs"

13. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tantalus

I agree, the only other option is to get an audio matrix switch where it's possible to switch between the back speakers for THX2 and the upcoming DPL2x and the height channel. So that for DPL2x the stereo function of DPL2x works in the back channels and then when switching to the height channel or THX2 mode (DTS disc 6.1, DD EX) the one back signal is sent to the two back speakers and the derived height channel signal is sent to the ceiling speaker(s).

This switch would have to be installed between the Tag outputs and the amps which runs the speakers.

Apparently, the Tag guys are working on something like that - whether it comes out or not remains to be seen. And then there's the software... how to make it smooth without having to go into the setup application every time you want to use the different functions...

A friend of mine is helping me out to construct such a switch - only time can tell if it'll work... :cool:

Oh, BTW such switches exist already, but at a hefty price...

14. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    Here I may not have spotted it else wise, especially if it is only transient. Then maybe moved to a sub forum in the amps of general hardware when there site is back up.

15. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Gents.
    This is easy to overcome.
    You simply require a (minimum of) 3 pole relay, all poles with normally open and normally closed contacts.
    The coil will be operated via an action switch on the av32r that will close on activation of the height channel and close the relay via a 12volt transformer.
    The surround back left + speaker connection from the power amp will go to the common of pole 1.
    The surround back left + speaker connection to the speaker will go to the normally closed contact of pole 1 AND the normally open contact of pole 3.
    The height channel + speaker connection to the speaker will go to the normally open contact of pole 1.
    The surround back right + speaker connection from the amp will go to the common of pole 2 AND the common of pole 3.
    The surround back right + speaker connection to the speaker will go to the normally closed AND normally open contacts of pole 2.

The net effect of this is that in normal operating modes the surround left and right will function as normal with no height channel.
    On activating the height channel (and relay) the surround back left channel will be driven in parallel with surround back right speaker (make sure of the 8 ohms!) and by the surround back right channel and the height speakers will be engaged by the surround back left channel.

It will work for me anyway.

Regards

Steven

16. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    So what's the situation with Tag? Trying to get a set of phono sockets for an Audiolab 8000A, but no reply from their helpdesk?

Can anyone help?

17. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Have just been onto them myself re the prices of a few upgrades and availability....quick response to the phone currently,so doesn't look as if it's anything serious....maybe worth trying again now.

18. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Can you smell that?

Udo free fresh air. :)

19. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Lets hope this provides a good home for the Tag Forum.....it'll certainly benefit from a bit of breathing space.

20. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Thanks for the heads up on the phone line - will give that a go. Any other Audiolab owners experienced the "disintegrating" phono sockets phenomenon? Fairly common on Audiloab apparently.

21. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Not a TAG owner (far from it!) but this is a great idea, nice one. :)

MuFu.

22. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    I had trouble with the phone socket if I ever move the equipment I had trouble plugging in the plus I opened it up and found most of the material holding the sockets I place were disintegrating or disintegrated. I super glued all the bits together. But later the phone stage went down and had to be repaired.

23. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Yes. That's the problem I've got.

Bought some Audioquest cables with fairly tight plugs a while back, and when I attempted to disconnect them the sockets came out, and it looked as if the insides (behind the gold plated terminals had crumbled/broken). Is it true the entire bank of sockets has to be replaced and not just the dodgy ones?

Can't believe that an otherwise superbly built piece of kit has such an Achilles heel!

Just wondering if Tag will have a stand at the Hi Fi show in Manchester this weekend so that I can speak to them.

24. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    Can you remember how much it cost to have them replaced.

I didn’t see a Tag one, I too would have liked to have had chat with them.

25. Peter

Peter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see the newly re-opened TMA forums are also Udo-free. He hasn't posted in there since it came back.

How did the weekend with the MW's go - did you get them to agree on anything?!

26. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I see John Mulcahy has just joined avforums (he was showing up as the newest member when I logged in).

Welcome John, we look forward to your input.

(now if that doesn't get me a free DS upgrade I don't know what will :D )

27. life sucks

life sucks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems Dr. Udo Zucker accepted what most of you said here. Not bad decission after all, but I seriously doubt he can keep himself from posting in TAG forum.

28. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The forum seems a much friendlier place without him with the far more able John M doing some technical stuff and greater involvement from the helpdesk. So is he still CEO?