Best PJ in the £500-£750 price range

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Powelly131, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Powelly131

Powelly131

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi All,
    Just about to embark on converting the garage into a home cinema room/play room. The finished room will be about 5 x 3 metres, with a large window and a low wall built to fill in the hole left by the existing up and over door. I'm going to have a plasma screen and pull down projector screen at the window end, and ceiling mount the projector. I have no experience whatsoever with PJ's and was wondering what the general consensus was regarding the best screens and PJ's within a budget of £500 - £750 for the two. I don't really want anything too flash, as I have to get a new amp, dvd, plasma, speakers and cables as well :rolleyes:, so I was hoping to get a budget setup to get me on my way!!
    I will post some pics of the conversion once we are underway, hoping to start in the next couple of weeks, as soon as the builder can start.
    Thanks in advance :)

PS The screen to PJ distance can be anything up to 4 metres
    Thanks again

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,073
    Hi i have moved this to Pjs for you as the initial question is about the PJ. Once you start the build please feel free to create a thread back in the DIY section :)

3. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    HD65 seems the stock answer for that price and is at the bottom of your range, you'd have to pay quite a bit more for something significantly better, leaves extra money for a screen though.

4. aventhusiast

aventhusiast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I can't compare against any others but I picked up a hd70 for £550 from PC World & would thoroughly recommend it. (& I'm a real fussy git which says alot about this pj)

5. ollielou

ollielou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    as above the optoma hd 70 is a superb projector:thumbsup:

6. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
  7. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    I was going to mention the Yamaha DPX-830, from http://www.soundandvisiononline.com/ (I have no personal experience with the pj). But I seem to remember that Gazbarber owns one - maybe he could comment?

8. chinaman99

chinaman99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Another vote for the hd70 my first projector and im enjoying it very much, for £520 its fantastic value:thumbsup:

9. Powelly131

Powelly131

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks everyone, I'll have a look at those two projectors. How about your screen recommendations? :D

10. chinaman99

chinaman99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    thought id add a couple of pics 4 anyone whos interested

Attached Files:

11. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
  12. sweevo

sweevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Another HD70 endorsement here. :smashin:

Got mine just before xmas and I haven't watched a film on the 40" flatscreen since.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The photo's really don't do the PJ justice IMO !

13. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Are there any good quality budget projectors that will produce a ~90 inch diagnal using a ~4.2 metre throw distance.

As I live in a flat with a solid concrete ceiling, mounting a ceiling projector is not really a viable option.

Adrian

14. sweevo

sweevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What's your definition of "budget", ie what price range are you thinking of?

As for the ceiling mount, have you thought of wall mounting instead?

15. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Yes, I am looking at a wall mount.

However, all the ~£400-£600 projectors (720) that I ahve looked at do not have an appropiate throw distance for them to work on the back wall, which is about 4 metres between the back wall and the screen.

Otherwise I would have invested in the HD-65 as a 'trial system', and if Mrs Sapper agreed, then to upgrade.

I still could I guess and have it on a coffee table for the short term, but that has another set of issues, including the hieght of the screen comapred to the coffee table, and the ability of Mrs Sapper to kick coffee tables...

Adrian

16. sweevo

sweevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hmmmm... I sit my HD70 on a coffee table approx 3.3M from my 84" screen and need to use the zoom @ approx 1.1 so I would imagine filling the extra 6" for your current screen wouldn't be a problem for this particular PJ. I think it's now within your budget too. If the Mrs is accident prone make here sit to one side (without the cabling) of it rather than behind it, with such a large screen it makes no difference I find.

17. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Its a great projector, one of the best 720p's i'd say being a modified mitz HC3000, which itself is still arround the 1k plus mark if you can find them.

Its got great blacks once calibrated, the major thing with this pj is the filmic image it produces its very very slick, *without* the bad bits of a DLP i.e. green fizzing, although its still has the ocational rainbow although mainly on the white on black credits when they do appear.

The main thing is that i find different discs/sources benifit from different calibrations, one to eek out the black level and shadows others to bring the colours up. Its not that the projector lacks the ability to do both, but different discs seem to give out a slightly different image. For example i have a rgb to component from my freeview box, and the image it gives out is different to the one a general dvd would give out, and some dvds benifit from their own calibration.

Fortunitly it has multiple memories accessible from the remote so a bit of a play and then just switch between them for the different sources.

A slight gripe is the inconsitancy of the scaler/de-interlacer. Most films looks great, and high quality discs looks so fantastic i'd say its better than a cinema and HD would need to be side by side to see the difference. Some discs though the de-interlacing is sometimes off, so you see combing. Othertimes the upscaler just looks terrible, although this was only in flight of the navigator so far, I think its due to low bit rate disc or maybe even a lower resolution, but it looks fine on my crt tv.
    I'm playing from a sony DVP-725, so its a 7 year old upper mid range player with only component interlaced out, but the image it produces is just fantastic.

Its got a few tricks up it sleave for calibration, including a pretty cool mask, which lets you cover part of the dlp chip from the top/bottom and sides. Great for if you watch super widescreen/cinema scope movies, as there will be no light output for the covered pixels.

The last thing i'd say is that it pretty damn quiet on low lamp mode, not so much on high though, but a damn site better than my old X1 in pretty much everyway, especialy all the suitbleties in an image.