1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best PJ for <£2500

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by daninthemix, Jun 1, 2003.

1. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not even window shopping at the moment, but I am curious as to what option there are out there, for £2500 or less, with the following:

1. Very, very low fan noise
    2. Absolute reliability and longevity
    3. Good contrast (i.e. black is actually black or near as dammit!)

I currently have a Panny AE100...might not change it...on the other hand I'm interested in my options. Oh yeah, and:

4. The same or smaller physical dimensions as the AE100

...because I have it on a custom built stand that is precisely the correct dimensions...

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    dainthemix,

If this existed:

...........everyone one would have one !!! There's loads of discussion on the forum about the current crop of projectors, and lots of advice and opinioins from people who've actually had a string of projectors in succession which should help you form some view of what the market holds at the moment.... but "absolute reliability and longevity" has to be a joke - the current crop of PJs have only been in the marketplace for about 6 months or so, so how is anyone going to judge this?

Good luck in your search,

Sean G.

3. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not suprised. I'm quite oblivious to the PJ marketplace, so if no-one has solved these problems [once again my AE100 is my comparator in these respects], then I guess I'll come back in a few years and try again [!]

Thanks for the reply.

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Well, I reckon just about every pj out there is at least as reliable as the AE100, most probably way more so. If that is your comparator then I would say the world (of projectors) is your oyster and the other factors will come into play.

The only one I know of which is as small and quiet as the AE100 but gives a far better image (i.e. worth an upgrade) is the AE300. And thus far, reading these forums and AVS, it would appear to be far less troublesome than the majority of AE100's. In fact, don't think I have read one post yet about a problematic one (apart maybe from the odd dead pixel but that's LCD for you :) )

5. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would personally go for the Infocus LP650, got two for around 2.3k each and have had them installed for nearly 6 months without any trouble at all.

Plus the 232 protocol is so easy to hook up with Crestron. Very good PJ.