Best Picture

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Glenn Keen, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Glenn Keen

Glenn Keen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to replace my old Philips TV with a new 32 or 36 inch set. Now I know that there are problems with nearly all TV's but my question is which model has the best picture quality if you can find a flawless version of it?

I'm not bothered about the sound as I have a very good amp & speaker setup.

As for price, I'm willing to pay a lot for a good picture (can't quite stretch to a good projector though:( )

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,
    Glenn.

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You won't get a straight answer on this as many will think what they have is the best. Also, people's ideas on quality will vary.

Personally, i have always been a fan of the Toshiba televisions. Easy to set-up and use. Easy to tweak via the service menus if neeeded. Excellent picture too.

I currently have a 32ZP18P. However, if i was buying today, i would go for the 36ZP18Q.

3. Glenn Keen

Glenn Keen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, for that Doubledoom.

I was looking at the Toshiba's at the weekend. They looked excellent although in most TV shops the feed thay have was awful so it was hard to tell how good the picture quality was.

I also liked the fact that they don't have speaker at the side of the screen. Makes them look great!

Glenn.

4. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you considered rear projection??

For the same (or slightly more) cost of a 36" CRT, i.e. you could have 42 odd inches of quality without the breadth of problems currently being experienced with the latest generation of CRT.

Just a thought.

Cheers

Laurel

5. Glenn Keen

Glenn Keen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Laurel,

thanks for that. I have looked at rear projection and at LCD projectors. Both are OK but I'm not very impressed with the image quality. Maybe the ones I've seen were not set up correctly, but the picture compared to a normal TV looks poor.

I've also looked at plasma TV's. There still too expensive and have a limited life! For that price (about £5000) you can get a resonable projector & screen. Plus you can replace the bulb unlike a plasma TV when the gas start to go.

All suggestions welcome!

BYE
    Glenn.

6. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Glen

I'm pretty sure the rear-pro sets you have seen would not have been set up correctly (often this is simply a matter of toning down the contrast and brightness). Also they probably had a rubbish video feed.

Try looking at one with a decent DVD hooked up and contrast/brightness at about 50% - I can assure you that (at least in my opinion) they are better than CRT.

Even terrestrial and good old VHS look better to me, but for DVD they are extremely good.

Cheers

Laurel

7. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the best picture on a TV you have to look at Loewe, their best is the Articos...

8. romored5

romored5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    panasonic tx32pb50

fantastic pic, great blacks and skin tones !!!!

9. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    i am interested in plasma myself and can tell for a fact that the gas doesn't start to go or any of the other myths about them you may have heard. sure they have downsides (price, black levels etc..) but don't all large screen displays? anyway, i'm not havin a go, but they ain't all as bad as they are made out to be! btw, i have a tosh 36ZP18P and think its maybe the best 36" on the market, for dvd pictures?:p

10. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Glenn Keen,
    I have an Loewe Aconda 9381ZW, very content, picture is fine.
    If I was choosing now, I like the idea of a bigger screen. Fed properly the new Toshiba and Sony rear projection sets are really superb. Look at the threads regarding Panasonic's AE-100 LCD projector coupled with Da-Lite screen, surely in your price range.
    If it must be a 36" CRT, try the new Philips 36PW9607c Pixel Plus, it is worth a look.
    The Toshiba 36ZP18Q is much better than it is portrayed, and so is the Sony KV36FS70. If you can try a DVD of your own through all of these sets, decide for yourself.
    Much as I love Loewe, I hesitate to say it, but there is a kind of REL worship factor involved, other fine products are dismissed unfairly sometimes. The RCA tubed 40" Loewe isn't so outstanding, considering it's price point.
    See what you think.

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    A very fair an accurate comment. When a product is completely outselling the competition then there will always be more faults reported.

Again there is a religions fanatically following of these products for no particular reason. The above comment is very accurate. Open a Loewe TV and see all those unmodified Philips boards (oops can I say that:blush: ). Volkswagen are the same, people think they are better than the rest, the truth is that they aren't but they are just fashionable. And before anyone has a go I own a Volkwagen.

It is a matter of admitting the truth about products. The best pictures I have seen are the 36 inch Tosh fed by component inputs (internal tuner a bit weak however) and I also like component into the Loewe Aconda. The best Loewe I have seen is the curvy screen Credo but as I said that isn't fashionable (do they still make it?).

RPTV takes time setting up. Well properly calibrated they can look great if you can get over the vertical height thing. Personally I like the CRT based Toshiba but think the LCD Sonys are not up to much at all. Quite how they sell these is beyond my limited understanding. Hacen't these guys heard of blacks and contrast?

The other one to look at is the Hitachi.

Component inputs might be worth having if you are looking to the future (X Box, DVD etc)

12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,058
    Nic,

I have always prefered CREDO too. The new Articos is its replacement. They stopped making Credo's about 6-9 months ago. I think we just sold our dem one to a very very lucky guy......

Gordon

13. Glenn Keen

Glenn Keen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the comments.

I guess I'll keep on looking.

Glenn.

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My experiences with the 36ZP18 have been pretty painful. I've tried 3 different ZP18s and here's my brief review:

Pros:
    1) Picture sharp with good colours.
    2) TV styling is excellent.
    3) Toshiba do try and resolve problems (and I emphasise "try").

Cons:
    1) Brightness flares in picture modes 1 & 2 (whereas these modes give a sharper picture - a bit of a dilemma as to whether you opt for a sharper picture with constant automatic changes in brightness, or a softer but stable picture).
    2) Superwoofer vibrates with the cabinet at fairly low volume levels - not what you'd expect from a set claiming to be a "home cinema" TV.
    3) Internal speakers interfere with picture (you'll notice a flicker in the top left and far right sides of the screen especially when volume is turned up).
    4) Geometry is unlikely to be as good as you'd imagine it to be (my latest set has a distinctive curve in the top of the screen).
    5) Faint vertical bars are sometimes noticeable on left and right of screen.
    6) Picture sometimes looks like the screen needs cleaning.

Basically, I'm not overly impressed with this set - maybe these are common "features" with all 36" sets, but my advice is to get a long demo of the set you're thinking about buying and make sure that the shop you're buying from will take the set back with no fuss if you're not satisfied. Best of luck.

15. phil r brown

phil r brown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do a search on this forum for Panasonic or PL30 and read the threads... you will find many views on many models... there are lots of people who have gone thru the same decision as you are facing now. good luck.