BEST picture settings for the Pioneer PDP-507XD

fico99

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Before I ask an ISF calibrator to come to my house to calibrate my PDP-507XD, I want to buy a Blu-ray player first and experiment with the advanced picture settings (manual colour temperature, colour management, gamma, ...)

Currently, I am using ********' latest 7G settings:

PICTURE: USER
CONTRAST 28
BRIGHTNESS +1
COLOUR -9 (COLOUR SPACE 2)
TINT 0
SHARPNESS -4 (FOR HD +2)

PRO ADJUST >COLOUR DETAIL > COLOUR TEMP
MANUAL
R DR +2
G DR 0
B DR -2
R CUT 0
G CUT +1
B CUT 0

COLOUR DETAIL

R -3
Y -2
G 0
C -4
B 0
M +2

GAMMA 2

EVERYTHING ELSE NR/DRE/CTI/ETC OFF

Personally, I think the picture is a bit "dark" and magenta is dominating over the other colours :rolleyes:
Probably, the settings come very close to D65, but I think my personal taste is pretty different. I used to have a Philips 28" BlacklineS 100Hz DigitalScan 4:3 CRT before and didn't notice so much purple/blue/magenta on that one :rolleyes:

I also tried several other settings, but ********' settings are the best that I could find. If they would be a bit warmer with less magenta, they should be perfect for me (I think).

If you also have a Pioneer 7G, would you please be so kind to post your settings here so that I can try them and compare them with mine :lease:

For HD-DVD I use these settings:

USER
Contrast 38
brighness -1
colour +2
tint 0
sharpness +2
pure cinema set to standard
colour temp set to mid-low
cti off
colour managment all 0
dynamic contrast off
DRE on
gamma 3
black enhancement on
dnr low.....
Mpeg nr off
hidef nr off
intelligent colour off
colour space 1
ACL on

Its the same for dvd's....except I set mpeg nr on low.

Wow, colour space = 1 combined with coulour = +2 is impossible to watch with DVD and SDTV :confused:
IMHO, Colour space = 2, is a critical setting for SD :lesson:

Are using Contrast = 38 combined with Brightness = -1 in a dimmed room? Do you still have enough Black level detail when you watch dark movies like Pirates of the Carribean or Lord of the Rings?

Why do you use MPEG NR = low for DVD. I tried that with bad SDTV broadcast but then I loose all picture detail in faces :(

Last night, I noticed some greenish dark scènes while I was playing DVD over SCART(RGB). I changed the Green Drive/Cut 2 notches down, as recomended by ********, and noticed a very big improvement :smashin:

Geese, did you already tried ******** settings?

No one else that wants to share his 7G settings with us :lease:

I used Bumptious settings and all i have changed is contrast to 30. Picture is perfect with Sky HD, SD is pretty good also. I would be suprised if I could really improve the picture anymore?

I used Bumptious settings and all i have changed is contrast to 30. Picture is perfect with Sky HD, SD is pretty good also. I would be suprised if I could really improve the picture anymore?

Do you use the settings exactly as I have posted in my first post or did you took the Green Drive and Cut 2 notches down?

Exactly as per the first post. Only connected to Sky HD at present......

Wow, colour space = 1 combined with coulour = +2 is impossible to watch with DVD and SDTV :confused:
IMHO, Colour space = 2, is a critical setting for SD :lesson:

Are using Contrast = 38 combined with Brightness = -1 in a dimmed room? Do you still have enough Black level detail when you watch dark movies like Pirates of the Carribean or Lord of the Rings?

Why do you use MPEG NR = low for DVD. I tried that with bad SDTV broadcast but then I loose all picture detail in faces :(

Last night, I noticed some greenish dark scènes while I was playing DVD over SCART(RGB). I changed the Green Drive/Cut 2 notches down, as recomended by ********, and noticed a very big improvement :smashin:

Geese, did you already tried ******** settings?

No one else that wants to share his 7G settings with us :lease:

Yeah I tried ******** settings and while very good it just didnt have the same contrast pop or colour....the same with black levels. My shadow detail is ok but not as good as ********....but blacks are more incy. Those settings are perfect for my taste specially for hd-dvd. Lots of detail and the sharpness is amazing.....it just look alive and life-like. It dosent look fake in anyway. Try my settings with dvd or BD and alter them and tell what you think.

Hi i only have sky plus at the moment, and an upscaling dvd player, the picture on my 507 is pretty naff. Will someone please give me a list of decent settings to try. Thanks:thumbsup:

Hi i only have sky plus at the moment, and an upscaling dvd player, the picture on my 507 is pretty naff. Will someone please give me a list of decent settings to try. Thanks:thumbsup:

Did you already try the settings from my first post?

Yeah I tried ******** settings and while very good it just didnt have the same contrast pop or colour....the same with black levels. My shadow detail is ok but not as good as ********....but blacks are more incy. Those settings are perfect for my taste specially for hd-dvd. Lots of detail and the sharpness is amazing.....it just look alive and life-like. It dosent look fake in anyway. Try my settings with dvd or BD and alter them and tell what you think.

I just entered your settings in the "FILM" profile and will give it a try ;)

The first thing I noticed is that you are loosing skin detail in faces, but you are right, you have more contrast and colour, but do not agree with the better black level detail :rolleyes:

My manual colour settings are High and Low (rather than DR and CUT)...

I would imagine the difference is firmware related. Anyone know which is newer?

Edit: I use the same settings, and they are excellent for me.

Fico. no iie ther have not, but will give it a try. Another question at the moment i am watching itv2 the picture as an intermittent stop start any views, broadcast problem? i am not sure.

My manual colour settings are High and Low (rather than DR and CUT)...

I would imagine the difference is firmware related. Anyone know which is newer?

Edit: I use the same settings, and they are excellent for me.

Thanks, DR/CUT and High/Low are the same actually. I don't know why ******** came up with a different name :confused:

Fico. no iie ther have not, but will give it a try. Another question at the moment i am watching itv2 the picture as an intermittent stop start any views, broadcast problem? i am not sure.

Maybe your satellite dish is not adjusted correctly anymore?
Is your signal & quality on your Sky box OK?

Although ******** 7G settings were OK, I have found better settings that will improve the PQ in the following area's:

- Even better Black Level Detail :smashin:
- Better Colours in dark scène's (less purple/magenta) :smashin:
- Based on a calibrated PDP-4270XD set by hdtvtest.co.uk :smashin:

I have been experimenting and tweaking my PDP-507XD based on the settings published on http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Pioneer-PDP4270XD/Picture-Quality.php and came to the following, IMHO, fantastic results which I would like to share with you ;)

For SD via SCART(RGB) like Sky SD, Freeview and DVD:

CONTRAST 30
BRIGHTNESS -1
COLOUR -8 (COLOUR SPACE 2)
TINT 0
SHARPNESS -4

MANUAL
R HI +1
G HI 0
B HI +1
R LO 0
G LO 0
B LO -7

COLOUR DETAIL

R -8
Y 0
G +7
C -7
B 0
M 10

GAMMA 3

For HD via HDMI @ 1080i like Sky HD:

CONTRAST 30
BRIGHTNESS +2
COLOUR -8 (COLOUR SPACE 2)
TINT 0
SHARPNESS +1

MANUAL
R HI +1
G HI 0
B HI +1
R LO 0
G LO 0
B LO -7

COLOUR DETAIL

R -8
Y 0
G +7
C -7
B 0
M 10

GAMMA 3

Please try it on yours and let me know what you think about it ;)

I like your settings.
Thanks.

I just got the pioneer so I still need to play with the settings, as soon as I calibrate it I will post.(unfortunately I'm pretty busy at the moment so no time to play!!!)

May I ask You why You run sky hd at 1080i instead of 720p?
Did You notice better detail?
Just curious...

I like your settings.
Just curious...

Because HDTV broadcasting is also 1080i50 and scaling needs to be done only once by the PDP-507XD to the native panel resolution:

1920 x 1080 -> 1365 x 768

Also de-interlacing is done better by the Pioneer than by the satellite receiver.

And, yes, I have a better (more detailed) picture when I use 1080i :)

Rgds,
Fico

I like your settings.
Thanks.

I just got the pioneer so I still need to play with the settings, as soon as I calibrate it I will post.(unfortunately I'm pretty busy at the moment so no time to play!!!)

Just curious...

If you use 720p, the sky box does the scaling from all SD (576i) and HD (1080i) broadcasts. It's the worst setting because the Pioneer is far better at the job.

I have my brightness set at +2 on HDMI, this is where both DVE and a THX disc set it. It does not look too bright, in fact it looks spot on. It also depends on your room lighting.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom