Best Picture Settings For Panasonic G30

Lord Essex

Prominent Member
Reaction score
To get things going here are the night time settings I am using on my 50"G30,

Viewing Mode: Professional 1 /Contrast: 35/ Brightness 27/ Colour: 31/ Sharpness: 1 or 2 / C.A.T.S ,P-NR,Intelligent Frame Creation, Resolution Enhancer, Overscan, ALL OFF:

White Balance: R-Gain -1/G-Gain -6/B-Gain +2/R-Cutoff+2/G-Cutoff-5/B-Cutoff 0

Colour Management:R-Hue -3/G-Hue -6/B-Hue 0/ R-Sat 7/G-Sat-1/B-Sat +1/R-Lum-2/G-Lum+4/B-Lum+4

What settings are you using/any comments?

Well i`m getting mine tomorrow i will look into these settings but won`t be striaght away (as has to be setting in time....)but as known all eyes, TV Place and plasma panels are slightly different, so i may need an extra tweak.

Basicly if your eyes are happy with your tweak it`s spot on:smashin:

Last edited:
Just by eye

Brightness 27 is almost certainly going to be trashing some shadow detail...

Your right David, I have now set it to 29.

As you are a reviewer any chance you could post some settings?

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
for me is Brightness 27 TO MUCH too...

and what about GAMA settings?

Last edited:
Use THX or Professional mode, leave the Brightness as-is (I've never had to change it - all BD players I've seen are outputting at the correct levels, it's mainly analogue devices that need the Brightness setting changed). Make sure Sharpness is at 0 (for HD) or at a few clicks for SD. Make sure 16:9 Overscan and Intelligent Frame / 24p Smooth Film are off. I also selected Gamma 2.4 (which actually is closer to 2.2) in Professional mode (you can't change it in the THX mode).

That's basically as good as you'll get without using a measuring device to fully calibrate greyscale and colour.

Also, don't bother adjusting Contrast. It's basically useless in the THX and Professional modes because it doesn't raise the light output of the panel (at least not by any noticeable extent). All it does is changes the digital white level, turn it up too high and it'll begin to clip highlight details (but without raising the light output of the panel).

Hi

I've been fiddling with the settings on my G30 for ages now and other than the basic settings, I can't seem to make any improvement from the factory settings. Any owner managed any significant improvements yet, other than a professional calibration?

I'm confused now about the right contrast setting in pro modes. I was reading the VT30 calibration thread and in there it's mentioned that contrast should be at maximum.

I'm thinking this may be right, as for some reason, although the picture is very good and better than my previous LCD, I just don't see that punchy image that many people talk about.

I'm going re calibrate at maximum contrast later this week to see if there is an improvement in getting that punchy image.

I'm confused now about the right contrast setting in pro modes. I was reading the VT30 calibration thread and in there it's mentioned that contrast should be at maximum.

I'm thinking this may be right, as for some reason, although the picture is very good and better than my previous LCD, I just don't see that punchy image that many people talk about.

I'm going re calibrate at maximum contrast later this week to see if there is an improvement in getting that punchy image.

I have had my G30 professionally calibrated and the contrast is set at 54. So its very close to max and I don't get any direct sunlight in my viewing room.

I'm trying to decide between a 50" G30 and GT30. I've no interest in 3D but would like to know how much difference the improved AV filter makes on the GT. Has anyone done a side by side comparison? I get daylight from a bay window 3 metres to the left during summer evenings.

It makes a big difference. I'm not crazy about 3D myself, but if I was buying I'd go for the GT because of the screen filter.

Thanks for the advice David, I currently have a Poineer 428, will the gt30 filter improve light rejection over that? Also is shadow detail better on the gt30 than the Pioneer?

I'm trying to decide between a 50" G30 and GT30. I've no interest in 3D but would like to know how much difference the improved AV filter makes on the GT. Has anyone done a side by side comparison? I get daylight from a bay window 3 metres to the left during summer evenings.

If you are working to a set budget I would go a different way than David. Buy the G30 and with the money left over have the set isf professionally calibrated. For the money it will be a bigger upgrade than the filter. Naturally if your budget allows go for the GT30 and have that calibrated to get the best of both worlds.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom