Best picture quality - Tosh 520 vs Pioneer 656

petrolhead

Could not comment as I have not seen 646 but I have the 520 and it is very good, better than my Pioneer 525.

What realy supprised me was how much better the sound was.

Also the 520 can be nearly £100 cheaper which clinched for me.

PS Give them both a view as only your eyes will give you the answer :)

I have a Pioneer 530 and can honestly say I wont be buying a Pioneer again, the drive is noisy, and the picture is good, but not stunning

I will be treating myself to a Pro scan player when the dust settles

phil_evans

Standard Member
I have the Pio 656 after trying the Toshiba 220. The picture and sound on the 656 seem very good to me but I had no chance to test the 2 players side-by-side. Uncle Eric and others seem to like the 656 too. I don't know if the 220 shares components with the 520, but here are my commments between the 2:

Pio 656 pros: It works on all disks I've tried (mostly R2), good setup menus, quiet enough, great output options
Pio 656 cons: No news on progressive capabilities/ upgrade potential

Toshiba 220 pros: Zoom modes work during playback, so you can choose to get rid of the top/ bottom black bars on wider-than-widescreen DVDs, good picture and sound
Toshiba 220 cons: It freezes at layer changes on some disks (e.g. Pulp Fiction, Dinosaur)

If the 520 had been out when I needed to replace the 220, would I have got it instead of the 656? Yes, but it would have gone straight back if had frozen on any disks.

Phil

Bapapapa

Standard Member
Toshiba 220 pros: Zoom modes work during playback, so you can choose to get rid of the top/ bottom black bars on wider-than-widescreen DVDs, good picture and sound

I'm sorry, but how the hell is that a 'pro'..? :rolleyes:

Remember the 656 also does SACD/DVD-A which if you're interested in those formats, makes it the only choice between the two..

rjw

Originally posted by Bapapapa

I'm sorry, but how the hell is that a 'pro'..? :rolleyes:

Some people like to only watch half a film.

Weirdo's :D

Anyway, what's wider-than-widescreen?

phil_evans

Standard Member
I know, I know :blush: But having a zoom that works during playback is a (slightly) more useful feature than having a zoom that pauses playback.

By w-than-w I mean a ratio higher than 1.78:1 (16:9).

S

Sgt.Colon

Well I have a Pioneer 545 and I love it. Picture is spot on. Like it more than the Tosh I had before, but then again that was over 4 years old. :D

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom