Best picture quality from DVD player upto £1000?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by NickVardy, Mar 29, 2003.

1. NickVardy

NickVardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I am after some good advice on which DVD player to add to my home cinema setup. I have recently purchased a Philips 36PW9607 television and am currently in the process if adding a Magnat THX speaker system to this. I already have a Pioneer VSX-D1011 amp.

To this I am looking to upgrade my old Tosh player to a higher end machine to get the best out of my current kit. Movies are my main love so I am more interested in getting the best quality picture I can and good sound for movies aswell. DVD-Audio and SACD aren't a priority for me at the moment. My budget would stretch up to £1000.

So far I have been looking toward a Philips DV-1010 machine to go with the Philips tv but I am very open to any suggestions or advise that anyone may have.

I look forward to hearing any suggestions...

Nick

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    With a non-progressive scan 36" display and no real interest in hi-res audio, keep your Toshiba.
    Try a home demo of usual suspects but I doubt you will feel any difference worth the cash.

3. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Strange reply ?
    Did I miss something...old toshiba player..which one do you currently own ?
    I think there is a vast difference on a 36" TV between their entry level and top of the range Tosh players...and if you say yours is an old one, well......

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well what ?

5. NickVardy

NickVardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a Toshiba 210e. Although this has been great for a budget player I would like to upgrade to a higher end DVD player and am just looking for some suggestions.

6. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    suggestion number one has to be Sony 905. Increased colour definition and sharpness. I upgraded from the Panasonix XV10. This experience was seen on my Panasonic 36" TV.

I have written a small article previously.

The Toshiba 520 is maybe another, although also highly reviewed I am not sure how it compares to the Sony and price wise the Tosh is just SO much cheaper !

7. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're serious about spending a grand on a dvd player the Arcam dv88+ seems to be a favourite on these forums.British built with a TWO year warranty,shows the manufacturer has faith in their product.

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would put the money towards DVD films instead.

Leave it for a few more years, then change the player.

And search for Arcam DVD problems, should you off them!

9. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    My suggestion is to try a home loan of a top player to see if you feel any difference worth the cash.
    I haven't tried a Pioneer 757i but considering it is highly rated for non-progressive scan interlaced picture quality, has both DVD-A and SACD and is a reasonable price, it might be worth a look.
    The main benefit of expensive players is their PQ when using large screen plasmas or projectors, better CD replay, speedier disc navigation, some have a layer change buffer and of course the hi-res audio formats.
    I agree with nathan_silly, if your SD-210 is working fine keep it and buy the latest player when it packs up.
    For your purpose the difference in picture quality may not be as big as expected but if you try it yourself you'll be able to decide.

10. ricdiggle

ricdiggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I upgraded from an Sd210E to an Arcam DV88 (via a faulty Denon
    2800!).
    Even on a 32inch TV the difference was HUGE in terms of PQ and Audio.

Also, unless you're a serious audiophile, you can sell your CD player too as the Arcam DVD players are very good at CD spinning too.

I would certainly check out the DV88+ and the poineer 757 Ai

Richard

11. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If DVD-A & SACD are not a priority - and Progressive Scan is out because your TV does not support it - you should consider the standard Arcam DV88. It's a great player and can be picked up for less than £600 on ex-display and clearance offers. Sevenoaks usually have old stock for sale. Despite the reported problems - which I myself have not experienced - support is second to none.

The DV88 can [EDIT allegedly] be upgraded to DV88+ spec (incorperating PAL & NTSC Progressive via Zoran Vaddis 5 chipset) so is future-proofed. Upgrade prices are yet to be finalised. If you want to spend up to a grand though, you might be better going with the DV88+ from the start.

As ever there are plenty more options and there is a good arguement to be had for not spending anywhere near this amount of cash on a DVD Player for standard interlaced displays. If you decide not too, then check out the Pioneer 656A.

12. ricdiggle

ricdiggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to an e-mail I got from Arcam a couple of weeks ago, the Dv88 can not be upgraded to Dv88+ spec and it's unlikely that it ever will. They said the new machine is just too different for it to be a cost effective upgrade.
    It can, however, be upgraded to a DV88P. Ie. you can still get the prog scan module fitted.

Groundy - I'd love to be proved wrong on this though as I want the + upgrade myself.

Richard

13. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You could be right Richard. It may not be cost effective but it was always thought possible :(. I'll check through some old posts on this. Matt Horne had it done ages ago but this was a one-off I think.

14. martintyler

martintyler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try this thread it has confirmation from John Dawson.. but still seems like the helpdesk are telling different stories.

15. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    The DV88 can be upgraded to the DV88P (original progressive scan model) the DV88+ or even to the DV89. For more info including prices check out http://www.envytech.co.uk/arcamdvd/#general-upgrade.

Having said that ... several reviews are now saying that the Pioneer 757ai is a better player without taking SACD and DVD-A into account, especially on non-progressive scan.

I would add that I noticed a big improvement in PQ moving from a SD210e and NAD T550 to the Arcan DV88.

Nathan ... yes people have had problems with the DV88 ... but as if you want to get down to it ... searching for most of the popular AV kit will bring up a host of people with problems. Yes it has the Chroma Key bug - but so do most other players and most people don't notice it (unless they specifically look for it) anyway.

Vikki

16. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    i can say that i went from a dv88 to a dv27 and saw a BIG difference in picture on my non-progressive tv. the sound also was much better, rather than spend a grand though you could look at the pioeer 656 (if you can get one!) and that would give you the extra edge you are after.

17. ricdiggle

ricdiggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Much as I love this site, those prices seem very optimistic to me. £500 to upgrade my DV88 to a DV89 would be delightful but I doubt it'll cost that if it ever happens.

I do hope the good folks at Arcam will prove me wrong though.

Richard

18. NickVardy

NickVardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the heplful and very usual responses. I have heard great things regarding the Pioneer 757AI but the one or two reviews I have read say the improvements are negliable if you aren't using Prog Scan and the I-Digital firewire link to the compatible Pioneer amp. Has anyone had any experience of this player without using these features ? Also, has anyone have any views/experience on the range of Onkyo THX DV-S757 or the DV-SP800 models ?

Also, on my browsing websites for good deals on high quality DVD players I found a Toshiba SD900E for under £800. This seems an incredible price for a player largely regarded as one of the very best. Again anyone have any views on this model ?

Thanks again everyone :)

19. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Onkyo THX player and Tosh have Chroma bug..even the £1600 Tosh has Chroma bug. Great:(

20. NickVardy

NickVardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read something about the Chroma bug but I have no idea what it is, can anyone offer a quick explanation ?

21. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
  22. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    I can't find the thread ... but those prices have been taked about by John Dawson, and have appeared on an Arcam (email) newsletter if I remember correctly.

Also RE it being "too difficult" to upgrade a DV88 to a DV89 ... in a previous Arcam newsletter / promo-sheet, there was an artical about someone upgrading their CD Alpha 7SE right upto CD72 or CD82 spec - so Arcam will upgrade most things if it's at all possible.

Vikki