• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Best Picture Quality for Freeview

leenx002

Established Member
Hi

I might be confusing myself here - but here goes!

I have a Samsung HD tv with built in freeview, because of my area I have to use a digital ariel with booster - now the actual signal overall is good (not great - but satisfactory). I just wondered if there were methods to get an excellent signal - or a means of getting a quality picture, i.e. component? if you connect your digital ariel to a dvd player that supports component and run this back to the tv which does have component terminals will this improve? If not any ideas?

Many Thanks

jameslindsey

Established Member
As its a digital signal you will either get a picture, it will break up occasionally or you'll get no picture at all. Improving reception will only reduce instances of the picture breaking up. To improve picture quality you will need to look at quality of TV & box/tuner.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
jameslindsey said:
To improve picture quality you will need to look at quality of TV & box/tuner.

The only way to get a better picture is to get SkyHD or Telewest TVDrive HD sources.

andykn

Prominent Member
leenx002 said:
I just wondered if there were methods to get an excellent signal
There isn't really any such thing as a Digital aerial and all a booster does is make sure that the signal recieved by the aerial is not degraded too much by the cable from the aerial to your box. The best option is a good aerial optimised for the frequencies used in your area and an amlifier installed as per the recommendations here:

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/amps.htm#rfamp

leenx002 said:
or a means of getting a quality picture, i.e. component?

The internals should almost certainly be the equivalent of a component connection. An external Freeview box may be more sensitive if you have a weak signal or give a better quality picture, but I wouldn't expect the improvement to be great. Are there any reviews of your TV that can give you an idea of how good the tuner section is? You could put up another posting with the exact model number of the TV asking for other owners opinions of the tuner section.

Another idea is to adjust your picture settings to give the best picture - most TVs are supplied with settings optimised to look good in TV shops, with contrast and brightness set too high.

You haven't said whats wrong with your picture, if its breakup you need to look at the aerial, if it just looks poor check the settings.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom