1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best picture quality: component or vga?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Ramspeed, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi all

Seems to be a bit of confusion/uncertainty about this. Can anyone give a definitive answer? It's generally agreed that both VGA and component give a better picture than RGB scart (they carry progressive for a start). Leaving aside HDMI/DVI for a moment (i.e. the digital/analogue debate) - which gives a better picture on LCD TV's? VGA or component? And if one is better than the other - why is it better?

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    VGA has always looked better to my eyes.

I think part of the reason for this is that it doesn't have compressed color space. I believe Component uses 4:2:2 - whereas VGA uses a full 4:4:4. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Digitised

Digitised

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I would hazard a guess VGA is superior.

I base this whim on the fact that VGA displays display progressive images of the highest refresh rates and highest resolutions on pc monitors.
    Component from what ive seen hasnt gone above 720p@60hz.

Im not saying it cannot display these images, but VGA is tried and tested and ive never had a problem with VGA.

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Component works for me at 1080i. I think 1080i @ 60hz is the absolute most it's capable of.

5. Digitised

Digitised

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    yes but 720p is a fully progressive image, whereas 1080i isnt, plus its only a fraction more pixels to squeeze out if youre thinking in terms of bandwidth.

Im sure 1600x1200@75hz uses much more bandwidth, and thats not even max'ing VGA out.

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    This is right but wrong when related to DVD: on DVD the video is stored in component (YUV) format, so the source signal is already compressed.
    Since the VGA output is converted from the compressed YUV signal any improvement cannot be based on the generic differences between YUV and VGA (= interlaced or progressive analog RGB).

The only thing that I could imagine to make a difference is the fact that the sync signals are carried on separate wires in the VGA connection (i.e. RGBHV).