1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Picture Possible with PHD6 42" Screen?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by SillySausage, Mar 7, 2005.

1. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    :hiya:
    I have a HD42" series 6 Panasonic Screen, and am wondering what will give me the best quality picture from sky and DVD's.

Curently I have

Screen,
    Pioneer 565 DVD
    Standard Sky Box (Pace I think)
    X-Box - To be connected in hi res to the screen soon - somehow.
    JS Scart - VGA box.

ATM, The X-box goes into the DVD via scart.

The DVD is connected to the scart of the sky box, then out to the JS converter and up to the screen in VGA.

Don't get me wrong, the picture is very good, especially on DVD.

However, I am wondering what I need to do to better it :devil:

Would a scaler be the ultimate upgrade, and if so what sort of costs would i be looking at ?

Will the Sky+ box improve the picture at all?

Or do I buy a better DVD player, SKY+ Box, Scaler and god knows what else.. lol

Budget is up to £1000, but in the main it is just advice I am looking for at the monent.

NB, I have a Yamaha E800 processor that has no video handling capabilities to speak of.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Adam.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    get it ISF calibrated with a lumagen DVi scaler (may go slightly over budget or Iscan HD to keep in budget) see www.homecinemaengineering.com

3. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    How is your overscan on the Panny? is it at 0%?

I made some major changes to my Panny today and adjusted the overscan to 0% using the DVE disc, all i can say is that the picture is much more sharper now than before.

If you read my thread i was complaining about the JS Tech RGB2VGA and that it suffered from fuzzy or blurry pictures which i wasn't happy about.

The real problem was overscan adjustment on the Panny for most part.

Check for this if you haven't already done so.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hiya Adam, had a bonus? A scaler would give you a picture boost with all sources, you might like to try a DVI board too. Try a search for frame rate conversion if you have a couple of hours to spare.... there are some issues. With your screen the difference is not night and day with DVI over VGA, but there is a difference. If you were down south again anytime, I'd be happy to show you on my PHD7. Likvid of course has a point, make the most of what you have 1st, picture position/size is where to start.

5. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hia Martin :hiya:

I havn't come into any more money just yet lol

Just wondering what can make it better as I am now used to the screen :cool:

I've set it up using the DVE disk, and I now think the picture is very good. The OH thinks it looks a bit fuzzy, and she says her mates Sony 42" from Dixons looks better with Sky. They have the Sky+ box and use it via a el cheapo scart, hence the question over any improvement when using Sky+ over normal Sky.

I havn't seen this Sony, but imho I reckon the brightness will be so high that it will look 'better' in the first instance to the untrained female eye.. :devil:

Anyways, we are off to watch Alfie on it now.... (Crap film I have no doubt haha)

I'll look into the options later and might just have to pop in when down your neck of the woods :thumbsup:

Adam.

6. Fidelio

Fidelio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Never thought I would see the day that MAW would recommend the DVI board. So a pure digital signal DVD > scaler > DVI blade > screen has its benefits?

Fidelio

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Actually it's not so much a quality difference but what you like. I'm running in digital at the moment, FRC judder is an issue, but as I don't watch 'pimp my ride' like JJ in another thread, it's not too bad for me.

8. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Can I ask a silly question? How do you adjust overscan if you don't have a professional scaler? The normal menu only allows to adjust the position, but not the size of the picture. I noticed a significant overscan on my component signal (telewest box -> JS Converter -> A1XV scaled to 720p). Is there anything in the service menu?

Cheers

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hmm, XDE.... Yes it's a problem on those. I believe it can be done from the service menu, try a search for something like 'XDE overscan'. I hardly ever sell them, the reasons might begin to be obvious, especially after your search, not my favourite panel. IMHO a triumph of marketing over substance. Not helpful to you at this stage though. Lots of other people have this problem, it is a difficult one. I think most people don't notice they have the trouble, till they connect a PC to the HDMI port!

10. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Let's assume you have 10% overscan on all four sides, that means you loose 40% of picture resolution.

PAL is 720x576, you calculate the rest, actually it's 702x576 active area, the rest 18 pixels are for blanking and other information :smashin:

11. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    great, so I have a HD screen but only get 60% of the picture?? I notice the overscan only with Cable TV, not with DVD via HDMI. Would an ISF calibration help with that or does that simply adjust picture settings?

Cheers

12. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I think I am getting old..... Televisions never used to be this mind bending ;)

and that's only setting the fookin things up...

13. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Joe Kane recommends all manufacturers to set overscan at 2.5%.

If Joe Kane says it's right, then it's right. ;)

14. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi all again.

I finally have the x-box capable of a HD output, and am now also looking at a DVD rw for the OH. :eek:

So, I have a boat load of connections to make, all with the intention of high quality images and ease of use (Once setup)

I think I'll be going for something like the Panasonic E55 for the DVD RW, but as to connecting it all up, I am still in a bit of a pickle.

I'm looking at a scaler, probably the Iscan HD+, but will it give me the connection solution I am looking for.

Atm, I have Pioneer 565 - Scart RGB - But has component output.
    Sky Digital - Scart RGB.
    X-Box - HD through component? (ATM through Scart daisy chain into DVD).

All daisy chained through RGB Scart into JS Tech Scart to VGA, and then to screen.

Then there is the DVD RW to fit in their somewhere. I don't mind daisying this through the sky box as it will only ever be needed to record and not play to any degree.

Basically, what will I need to connect it all together and up to the screen in HD. Does it need to go in to the HD socket on the screen, or do I still use VGA, or component board etc etc.

This is not thinking about using an AV amp to switch anything, so will I benifit by using something like an Arcam AVR300, which is on the list for the future.

Sorry for a million questions, but I need some guidance before I spend a lot more money.

Cheers,
    Adam.

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Silly Sausage? In a pickle? An iscan HD will offer 90% of the connectivity you need, either an AV amp with component switching or a JS priority component switch adds the rest. All via VGA scaled to native res, excellent!

16. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Cheers for the help Maw, once again you come to the rescue ;)

I'll look into the Iscan for deffinate.

Also, the Component switching device looks just the ticket, especially for the not untidy sum of £55.

I take it that I will not need another JS tech box, and the scaler will output straight to the Plasma via VGA ?

Is their any point in connecting up the DVI or whatever it is on the screen, or is VGA my best option?

Looks like I have to find £800 for a scaler and another £100 or so for some cables.

Can probably sell me Scart to VGA box as well to cover the cost of the component switcher.

Then to get it all calibrated... oooooo, sounds like a plan :)

Adam.

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You could get a DVI board, there are some issues though, and VGA will deffo work, and be very good indeed. You'll see what you paid for the HD screen for. No more boxes, you'll need an RGB and sync cable, plus a few component ones to connect it all via the switcher. Setup via VGA is easy, DVI on a 6 series can be a little odd, maybe sale or return on a DVI board and DVI cable is what's needed.

18. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Hello all

MPK - unless you use an external device your at the mercy of Pioneer's software; the Media Box doesn't have an overscan adjustment.

The RGB SCART Inputs are the worst culprits on the XDE - the amount of overscan varies between the different Inputs.

SillySausage - SKY and you DVD will definitely benefit from adding a decent Video Processor; that's assuming its installed and configured correctly.

Games consuls can be hit and miss - some folk don't like the 'delay' the Video Processor is likely to introduce; if your X-Box is already outputting HD then ensure the Video Processor has a 'bypass' input for HD sources and you'll be fine.

I'd split the RGB output from your Digibox - so you can send a signal to both the DVR and a Video Processor; I find the majority of DVR's are less than ideal 'pass through' devices and they tend to be quite noisy and I don't like them being on all the time.

Unless you have more 'same type' signals than the planned Video Processor has Input sockets I'd avoid wiring everything via an AV Receiver.

You'll also need to factor in an Audio Delay until such times as you install a new AV Receiver.

I found when we installed SKY+ at home we had a better picture than previously with SKY - coincidence or maybe the PACE SKY+ box is better than the old Amstrad SKY box we had; not sure! No matter SKY+ is the best gizmo on the market :)

Assuming you want a DVR even if you go with SKY+ you could do the following:

1 x DVDO iScanHD+
    1 x B-Tech Quintro+
    2 x SCART to 4RCA cables
    1 x DVI Board

SKY+ SCART RGB Out > Quintro SCART RGB In.

Quintro SCART RGB Out 01 > DVR SCART RGB In

Quintro SCART RGB Out 02 > iScanHD+ RGB In 01

DVR S-Video Out > iScanHD+ S-Video In

DVD SCART RGB Out > iScanHD+ RGB In 02

iScanHD+ DVI Out > Plasma DVI In

There are other combinations of the same kit you could go with - I'll not go through them all :)

Alternatively a Lumagen VisionDVI + Digital Audio delay could be used in preference to the DVDO; the wiring would remain the same.

Budget wise I'd say nearer 1.3K if you include Installation, Configuration and Calibration by your dealer.

Best regards

Joe

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    if you can get Sky+ SDi modded (can ease connectivity!!!!) and will reallly get the best pic possible to your screen....I think perhaps you need some onsite advice on this lot as "the possibilities are endless" as they say........... i would try and avoid having multiple switch boxes if possible (too complex without a flawless Remote system!!!) I would prioritise sources by use (DVD and SKy at the top normally) VCR at the bottom (hopefully of the Bin!)

20. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for all your in depth and informative replies. :D

They have given me more than a few thoughts.

I'm tending to swing towards Maws advice purely from an ease of installation and simplistic (relatively) connections.

As for the rest, well if it was just me then I would ditch Sky altogether however the OH likes it so needs must ;)

I don't really want to go to Sky+ unless their will be a big picture improvement over the 10 year old digibox, which there probably will be.

And the VHS is at the top of the ladder, but only in physical terms as it is hidden away in the loft somwhere.

:spam:

After all this, the one thing that narks me off about the UK is the prices. Out of interest I emailed a US retailer and he can send me a Iscan for under £550, including delivery. I know about import taxes etc, but just based on the basic costs of things we are getting ripped off left right and centre on this Island..

Rant over... :rolleyes:

Adam.

21. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Rant away mate. An Iscan HD lists at £750 here, I think you'll find after import tax and VAT you might save £50 and have no warranty! The HD+ is £950 or so, they won't send you that for £550!

22. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    ;) Import tax and VAT..... There you go, that is exactly my point. We are stung left right and centre when we earn and when we spend. Then we get to use the wonderful facilities that all these taxes provide, like a failing health service, a understaffed and ill managed Police Force, corrupt council offices with no guidance and on it goes.

(I think this is in danger of becomming a seperate thread, that would probably be best placed elsewhere :oops: )

Still, after all this I will be buying from the UK - Not really because of warranty issues but simply because I am getting sound advice from people like Maw, HD, Joe and the like, and i feel it is a bit of an insult to ask advice then go and simply buy the cheapest from abroad.

Time to go and visit some customers and earn some money to pay for my indulgence... ;)

Edit.... Now back from my trip to the hills at Malvern, which was nice.

I've more or less decided on the Iscan. Do I need the plus version with DVI switching, or is it a relative waste of money in my case.

After all this, will the introduction of Sky HD have scaling built in with inputs for the DVD, making the scaler redundant. Or am I being a tad optimistic :confused:

Adam.