1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best picture from Z1?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by uksteve69, Aug 27, 2003.

1. uksteve69

uksteve69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my Sanyo Z1 connected by component leads which is being fed progressive scan from my harman kardon DVD player. I have also connected my Z1 using the vga socket to a scart on the DVD player.
    When I switch between the 2 connections the picture from the scart - vga connection seems sharper, not as soft as the progressive scan connection. My question is, should this be the case? I thought that progressive scan gave the best picture?

Cheers

2. timlloyd

timlloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Perhaps you should try a comparison between progressive and interlaced through your component out's first, this should determine if your deinterlacing in the HK is causing the softening.

On some of the cheaper PAL PS players quite a few people have posted that the progressive picture was softer than interlace.

3. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Note also that RGB is theoretically a better interface than YCrCb (or YPrPb for progressive) since there is more effective bandwidth available for the luma signal, to which the human eye is more sensitive than chroma.

So, the simple answer is to go to HTPC so you get progressive plus RGB and a better scaler than the Z1 has as well...

_

4. uksteve69

uksteve69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback.
    The missus is gonna kill me, I've only just bought the h/k DVD player!!.
    Guess I'm gonna have to give the HCPC a go then.