1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best picture from vcr to PT-AE100?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by benwi, Apr 2, 2002.

1. benwi

benwi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How should I connect my vcr to my PT-AE100 to get the best picture?
    Today I use composit but that is not good.
    I connect my dvd via s-video and that picture is ok but I'm thinking of buying a new dvd with componant output to get better picture.
    Is it possible to connect my vcr via the dvd and deliver the picture to the PT-AE100 over componant?

2. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    I dont know if you could loop through the vcr to the dvd player due to macrovision issues, I have an svhs video connected to my panasonoc via an svhs cable & the picture quality is better than composite, however it realy shows how poor the quality is of the incoming image when you blow it up but it watchable

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's no way of "looping" your composite signal from the VCR through the DVD player.

As far as I know, there aren't available any VCRs that output component. It would be useless if it were available anyway, as the "information" stored on a standard VHS tape is composite video.

An S-VHS VCR will produce far better results, as the chrominance & luminance are kept separate, with resulting higher quality recordings (400 V 250 horizontal lines).

S-video connection is the minimum you need for a watchable picture on a 6-7ft screen.

My best experience is with an S-video feed to a PCI TV capture card, running through dScaler software, feeding the VGA input of the AE-100.

Still, not even in the same ballpark as DVD/HTPC, but now watchable.