1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Picture From My 4th Generation Panny

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Wilbur, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Wilbur

Wilbur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Few weeks ago I put up a post asking peoples' opinion on how much to try to sell my Panasonic TH42PW4B for.

Consensus was it's still a good screen and I'd be better off upgrading my other components rather than trading up to a newer model.

I've decided to take the advice and my question now is what's going to be the best upgrade path? I'm only interested in image (more than happy with my 5.1 setup).

Currently using an Arcam DV88 connected via a JS RGB-VGA convertor. My first thought was to go for a DVD88+ connected via component... any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Wilbur

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you have a vintage plasma.

and in my opinion still the best picture quality out there.

defo go component with the arcam and maybe get a iscan hd for the sky or other sources.

3. JiMbOb_74

JiMbOb_74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I also have a "vintage" plasma... However I have been told from numerous sources that there is no noticable difference in picture by even the shop I bought it from as I was intending to trade in for a "6" model. I was also told the new "6" from panasonic was made in china and is more prone to reliability problems...

When I changed my dvd player about 4-5 months ago I tried an Arcam dvd88 and found the picture lacking. it also has on component a strange intereference on the picture when using component/progressive. Not good.

I was sugested to try the denon 2900... wow what a difference. Amazing picture... Try and get hold of a denon 2900 or even a 2800 mk2

What do you have to loose? Ask anybody else on the forum what they think and i find they will agree.

Vintage plasma owner

James

4. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i and another member had same problem with the arcam and plasma. we sent the arcam back for a fix.

somthing to do with power cord insulation.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Wilbur

I'd suggest an audition of the NEW Lumagen VisionHDP video processor (SRP £1.2K).

You may also wish to consider the VisionHDP with the SDI input module (+£250) as that gives you the further option of an SDI mod for your DV88 (£320) and an SDI board for a suitable Digibox (SKY+ V1 - again £320).

Even without SDI the VisionHDP will enhance all of your video sources and the HDP has the Option of 5x BNC connectors (£80) for Analogue RGBHV output.

I'd also suggest a Calibration of your screen to ensure your seeing it at its best.

Please drop me a note if you require any further info.

Best regards

Joe

6. Wilbur

Wilbur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very interested to read about your issues with component output to plasma from the DV88 - I posted the following last year:

"parallel lines when inputing through component to panny

The picture on my fourth generation plasma was great up until last weekend. I'd been inputting my arcam DV88 via VDC component leads. I put on A Beautiful Mind on Sunday evening and the picture was covered with a mask of parallel lines, every 2 minutes or so the lines would disappear and the picture would be perfect once more but then they would come back 30 seconds later.

It's wasn't the disk, I tried half my collection to the same effect. I tried inputting the DVD player via VGA using my JS RGB Scart to VGA convertor and the picture was 100% - it's something with the component signal.

Anybody got any suggestions or ideas? The setup was literally unchanged, it just suddenly strarted with the lines."

Sounds like the same issues - I tried ferrites everywhere but it was never resolved, have had to use RGB ever since.

Is this something Arcam have sorted out on the DV88+?

Will look into the Denon player you suggest James - does anybody else have any thoughts on this versus the DV88+

Joe - thank you for your suggestions - My budget is a maximum of £500 so unfortunately the VisionHDP is out of my league at the moment - any lower priced recommendations?

Thank you to everybody for posting.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Wilbur

I guess your options could include an Arcam upgrade of your DV88 to DV88+ and if you want to try out a scaler we have stock of the all analogue Lumagen Vision unit that just about scrapes inside your budget.

The Vision is 'last years model' so to speak but still very worthwhile (see http://www.lumagen.com) and a good match with your PWD4 via an HD15 input cable delivering progressive RGBHV.

Until recently the Vision was near £1k so its a bit of a bargain now its been relegated to the 'entry' level product in the 2004/5 line up.

Not had the Arcam/PWD4 interference problem - I've used my own FMJ-DV27 with a PWD4 with no hassles; I'll ask a few folk if they have experience of this issue.

Best regards

Joe

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    I can confirm I've never seen this issue on all the P4's I've calibrated and sold with Arcam DVD players. I would also suggest the Vision would be a great upgrade for thhe money

Gordon

9. Wilbur

Wilbur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it came down to a choice between the Vision and the DV88+ (which uinfortunately it is given my budget!) which would you go for?

(again - DVD playback is my key concern...)

Thanks

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    That saves me asking Gordon then :)

Best regards

Joe

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello Wilbur

Unless you felt there were advantages to be gained in the audio domain I'd say the flexibility and user adjustments in the Vision make it the better choice as far as Video goes.

And into the bargain the rest of your sources will benefit from the video processing in the Vision too.

Taking Interlaced video from my FMJ-DV27 and feeding it through the Vision is pretty much on a par with the Progressive output of the FMJ-DV27 - both devices you the SIL504 Deinterlacer; though the Vision adds scaling to the equation and I find the PWD4 reacts very well to being fed a 720P signal.

The lower cost Arcam unit uses a lower quality progressive decoder and for me is not on a par with the Lumagen unit.

Best regards

Joe

12. Wilbur

Wilbur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for the quick reply Joe.

Can I ask how I would integrate the Vision into my setup. Currently it's a nightmare, as I'm getting interference on component everything has to go through my JS RGB to VGA convertor - so if I want to watch movies I plug in the DV88, TV - plug in the Digibox and likewise for the Xbox.

Does the Vision act as a switcher also? How would I fix up my kit to it and how does it connect to the screen?

Apologies for so many questions!

And if Jmack is around I would love to hear more about the resolution of his issue with Arcam component output...

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Wilbur

Possibly easiest at this time to email me with a full kit list and I'll come back to you tonight with a connectivity plan.

My mail address is shown in my profile.

Best regards

Joe

14. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    arcam said it was a known bug where the power supply was not sheilded enough on the inside and interferance could be seen on a few via component . they said they could not see the problem on mine. but changed something inside and it was fine after.

hope this helps.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131405&highlight=jmack+arcam+problem

this is the only thread i could find. other ones might have been culled